It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it so difficult to Believe in Aliens?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Nibbles

I really don't think anyone disputes the fact alien life exists in the universe. I think the key is they don't believe they are here. There are huge problems covering the vastness of space. People really cant fathom the distance involved. And the odds of them finding us are almost zero unless they are withong a couple hundred light years. An intelligent species on the other side of the galaxy wouldn't even know we were here. Though that's probably a good thing because odds are they would be hostile.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: UNKNOWNPURPLE
a reply to: SPECULUM

yes it is even some goverments exposing the truth go look on youtube: Medvedev about aliens ( he was a russian president for couple of years a partner of MR Putin ) he exposes the truth about aliens to a news reporter.

I personally think Egypt is the most visit place by extraterrestrials.

I've seen a disk and a star trek type of craft and do believe in UFOS

People amaze me you do realize he was joking with the press guy. He talks about Santa clause than was asked about aliens and he tells them to go see men in black for further details. I guess you don't know sarcasm when you see it. Here it what he said
Another of the journalists asked whether the president is handed secret files on aliens when receiving the briefcase needed to activate Russia's nuclear arsenal.

"Along with the briefcase with nuclear codes, the president of the country is given a special 'top secret' folder. This folder in its entirety contains information about aliens who visited our planet," Mr Medvedev answered playfully.

"Along with this, you are given a report of the absolutely secret special service that exercises control over aliens on the territory of our country ... More detailed information on this topic you can get from a well-known movie called 'Men In Black' ... I will not tell you how many of them are among us because it may cause panic,"

They are desperate to believe so fall for anything and cant see the truth. Im desperate for aliens to be really here...but stay in reality.

Desperate to believe/desperate for it to be true...see the difference?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
It's not difficult to believe in aliens, popular culture and most polls proves your thread title wrong.

It's difficult to believe that EVERY account of alien encounter is real though. It's a simple conclusion of anyone genuinely and critically studying the subject. Most "alien encounters" are simply psychological personal experiences not different from people who "astral project", dreams or hypnagogic visions.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

yeah i know what he said im russian myself.

i also saw the documentary Men in Black the russian version, i could say there are alot of witnesses in Russia.
do you actually have seen THE ALIEN BOOK? A person claim that he found the book in his fathers basement which was a veteran ( researcher in sovjet ) you can look it up on google book of Alien Races.
The person claims that many documents which are in the Book of Alien races came from his father's basement.

it was written in 1946-47 and has been constantly updated throughout the years.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Alien is actally hidden slang for Reptilian. and to be a reptilian is to have certain Morphological aspects which humans do not have a

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
From the Bible

And God said, Let US make man IN OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Does not rule out Alien life and has raised whole lot debates about the definition of the God. There are certain order in microcosmos, protons, electrons, neutrons etc. And laws how things are glued together or why they fell apart. And other laws of nature, we often don´t focus on or don´t see with bare eyes.
It would be weird if there would not be Alien life as all the laws of the universe would be against it. Would it be similar as our life, most likely not.
We tend to believe, when we see with our own eyes and have hard evidence to back it up.
I have never seen UFO.. or Alien..
edit on 13-4-2015 by dollukka because: typo

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: Nibbles

I studied physics at uni, I ADORE space and anything scientific...i desperately want to see first contact before i die. I'm just not willing to be swayed by obviously false footage like some of you guys are. Sorry.

What obvious proof does it take for you to be swayed the other way compared to what some people may believe here?

I personally and deeply believe that some footage "may" be true, but with the amount of dedicated shills and seriously brainwashed people that care not to take the time to dig in deeper out there because they "heard or read so on the internet" then advance for humanity and the rest of the inhabitants of our rather large universe is doomed...

Some close minded humans seem to think that we are the only ones out there on our MEGA tiny little ball of earth in the middle or where-ever we are situated somewhere in the cosmos...

Think again... more deeply I say...

Nibs

Sorry, but im not going to reply to your insulting post in any meaningful manner. Shill? Brainwashed? Think more deeply?

Seriously?

I could also call you names and tell you what i think of people who believe blurry, juddery footage is proof enough of alien visits.

Its not about thinking deeply. How deeply one thinks about it is neither here nor there. And by the way, im an astronomer. Im out with my scope most clear night that i can. i have spent thousands of nights alone, looking up. There are no alien craft up there....i have no idea what you guys think you are seeing.

Feel insulted if you may... That is your choice in the way you read my post, sorry if you feel that way (which was not put out in a manner to upset anyone on purpose)

I am happy to know that you are an astronomer, well done.

Right... back to what other people might have to say without causing a bit of playground squabbling huh?

Nibs

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Nibbles

By all means, lets have a meaningful discussion....so lay off the shill/brainwashed comments and lets talk.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Your question is too broad and vague.

Believe in aliens? Maybe.

Believe in sentient aliens? Perhaps, but they're not coming here; they're not here now.

Arrogance has nothing to do with it. It's about bioavailable habitats, whether evolution selects for sentience (as to their being space-faring), and about behavior and opportunity. There's just too little time and too much to do for a sentien species to do much space-faring, and that's IF they can get off-planet and beyond low orbit.

HTH

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Why does 'Make man in our image' have to be taken literally, in the physical sense?

Who studied English literature here at school? Why can't the aforementioned verse simply imply a characteristic image i.e. Man created with similar attributes as god like being merciful, charitable, kind etc.

''Man in the image of God; what does this mean in practical terms? It cannot refer to bodily, biological form since God is a Spirit and man is earthly. But while it may be true that the body does not belong to the image, since God does not have a body, yet somehow we would like to see man’s body (which is a very real part of man) included in the image. Language and creativity,—two important parts of the image, are impossible without a body. And God the Almighty agreed to share with man dominion and authority over the animal kingdom (Genesis 1:28), an activity in which the whole man, body as well as mind, is involved. Furthermore the Son of God honored the human body by becoming flesh and dwelling among men (John 1:14) (Hebrews 2:14).''

Now I'm preeeeetty sure this is what was implied by the verse, and how other religious followers and scholars perceive similar scripture via interpretation. This would make far more sense in terms of the possibility of other creations existing in our universe that could also have similar qualities as Man and God - like friendly, charitable aliens.

Now back on topic - Why is it so difficult to believe in Aliens? Because there is no proof that they have existed or do exist, the phenomenon hasn't been documented much except for our recent history, and only vague connections between extraterrestrial visitations and ancient civilisations here on earth have been made with very shaky theories, and no convincing evidence. Whereas religion and the concept of God(s) has been with Man for millenias/centuries/eons and continues to be a central part of Mans life. Ask youself why? Because of a natural, inate feeling inside our bodies, our genes that whispers to us, and tells us that all of this around us was created by something far greater.

Furthermore - not all religions denounce the idea of alien life existing elsewhere in this universe or another dimension.

To conclude, it is in fact arrogant of many posters in this thread to bash the religious simply because they choose to believe in God, while many of you choose to be concerned with alien life existing. You are comparing two completely different concepts here - to believe in religion and god is to pursue the meaning of life, and answers to our very existence. To believe in Aliens is to draw a conclusion that just because we exist, and life can evolve here on earth, it must happen elsewhere in the universe, and because the universe is so big with plenty of other celestial bodies, this must be true - fine, so another creation exists in the universe.. so what? It is the pursuit of a completely different and VERY LIMITED question as oppose to the religious... so who is the ignorant here???

That's fine, but if you want to spend your life on a religious journey with God, aiming to ask the questions of why everything and anything exists in the first place why would you be so concerned with aliens??? They become so insignificant seeing as they have not even landed here yet and shown their face openly... and even if they did - they would still be just another creation like us in the same boat.

Just another pixel on the screen, but why does the screen exist in the first place?

You can bash on the religious all you want, but many of the religions will also have a bigoted view of you guys, who spend their lives in escapism watching sci-fi shows and hoping ET turns up on your doorstep in the next 50 years whilst hiding away from the real questions in life.

edit on 13-4-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

From the time i was 8 years old till now, i've seen extraordinary light in the sky, during the day and night.
In the early 80s i was an air defense gunner, and my job was to identify aircraft, every known military aircraft of the time.
I was already familiar with UFOS, as there isn't anything in our airfleets that can appear then disappear at will, nor stop instantly and make other impossible maneuvers.

Satellites make arching patterns in radius with the earth and become brighter then disappear as they reflect light from the sun. some Ufos look like that, except when they fly under the clouds on a flat trajectory, this always rules out Satellites.

Some people live in places that have very few sightings, while others never look up, and spend their lives staring at the ground...I do both, because you never know what you'll miss if you don't

The Ozarks of Missouri is the hottest spot to witness this phenomenon, Especially in the City of Springfield. They seem to love drawing attention to themselves and forcing the military to chase after them, which happens more than most people know. Seems as if you might need to travel where theres more activity is all

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Though we have yet to find definitive evidence, I don't think any rationally I minded person rules out the possibility of life existing elsewhere in the universe. The rest of your OP is pure fantasy.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101
Why does 'Make man in our image' have to be taken literally, in the physical sense?

Who studied English literature here at school? Why can't the aforementioned verse simply imply a characteristic image i.e. Man created with similar attributes as god like being merciful, charitable, kind etc.

''Man in the image of God; what does this mean in practical terms? It cannot refer to bodily, biological form since God is a Spirit and man is earthly. But while it may be true that the body does not belong to the image, since God does not have a body, yet somehow we would like to see man’s body (which is a very real part of man) included in the image. Language and creativity,—two important parts of the image, are impossible without a body. And God the Almighty agreed to share with man dominion and authority over the animal kingdom (Genesis 1:28), an activity in which the whole man, body as well as mind, is involved. Furthermore the Son of God honored the human body by becoming flesh and dwelling among men (John 1:14) (Hebrews 2:14).''

Now I'm preeeeetty sure this is what was implied by the verse, and how other religious followers and scholars perceive similar scripture via interpretation. This would make far more sense in terms of the possibility of other creations existing in our universe that could also have similar qualities as Man and God - like friendly, charitable aliens.

Now back on topic - Why is it so difficult to believe in Aliens? Because there is no proof that they have existed or do exist, the phenomenon hasn't been documented much except for our recent history, and only vague connections between extraterrestrial visitations and ancient civilisations here on earth have been made with very shaky theories, and no convincing evidence. Whereas religion and the concept of God(s) has been with Man for millenias/centuries/eons and continues to be a central part of Mans life. Ask youself why? Because of a natural, inate feeling inside our bodies, our genes that whispers to us, and tells us that all of this around us was created by something far greater.

Furthermore - not all religions denounce the idea of alien life existing elsewhere in this universe or another dimension.

To conclude, it is in fact arrogant of many posters in this thread to bash the religious simply because they choose to believe in God, while many of you choose to be concerned with alien life existing. You are comparing two completely different concepts here - to believe in religion and god is to pursue the meaning of life, and answers to our very existence. To believe in Aliens is to draw a conclusion that just because we exist, and life can evolve here on earth, it must happen elsewhere in the universe, and because the universe is so big with plenty of other celestial bodies, this must be true - fine, so another creation exists in the universe.. so what? It is the pursuit of a completely different and VERY LIMITED question as oppose to the religious... so who is the ignorant here???

That's fine, but if you want to spend your life on a religious journey with God, aiming to ask the questions of why everything and anything exists in the first place why would you be so concerned with aliens??? They become so insignificant seeing as they have not even landed here yet and shown their face openly... and even if they did - they would still be just another creation like us in the same boat.

Just another pixel on the screen, but why does the screen exist in the first place?

You can bash on the religious all you want, but many of the religions will also have a bigoted view of you guys, who spend their lives in escapism watching sci-fi shows and hoping ET turns up on your doorstep in the next 50 years whilst hiding away from the real questions in life.
<

It can also be translated to `Let us make clones in our image`

''Man in the image of God; what does this mean in practical terms? It cannot refer to bodily, biological form since God is a Spirit and man is earthly. But while it may be true that the body does not belong to the image, since God does not have a body, yet somehow we would like to see man’s body (which is a very real part of man) included in the image.
God does not have a body but creates bodies in his own image? So who was walking with adam and eve in the garden? and how does the serpent look like?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Imo I think it's out of fear.They're some people don't want to believe that there is a another life form above us..
edit on 13-4-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
a reply to: 3danimator2014

From the time i was 8 years old till now, i've seen extraordinary light in the sky, during the day and night.
In the early 80s i was an air defense gunner, and my job was to identify aircraft, every known military aircraft of the time.
I was already familiar with UFOS, as there isn't anything in our airfleets that can appear then disappear at will, nor stop instantly and make other impossible maneuvers.

Satellites make arching patterns in radius with the earth and become brighter then disappear as they reflect light from the sun. some Ufos look like that, except when they fly under the clouds on a flat trajectory, this always rules out Satellites.

Some people live in places that have very few sightings, while others never look up, and spend their lives staring at the ground...I do both, because you never know what you'll miss if you don't

The Ozarks of Missouri is the hottest spot to witness this phenomenon, Especially in the City of Springfield. They seem to love drawing attention to themselves and forcing the military to chase after them, which happens more than most people know. Seems as if you might need to travel where theres more activity is all

And yet...no one has video taped all these incredible sightings. No one one has any proof whatsoever to show other than they "saw something they cant explain". I have also seen things i cant explain in the sky. the difference is i dont automatically jump to the alien conclusion since, as a scientist at heart, i realise there could be many, MANY explanations for even the most incredible visions.

Sorry bud, with all due respect...not buying what you are selling. Show me and im happy to change my mind

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

It is simple. There has been an effective social conditioning program ongoing throughout the world since the 1950's in which we are subconsciously taught aliens are a silly idea. SETI would be a part of this program.

The highly respected "Life" magazine could write an article in the early 1950's entitled "The case for interplanetary visitors" - do you see Time or Newsweek or the Economist writing such an article today?

edit on 13-4-2015 by PlanetXisHERE because: addition

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Ive seen the most amazing things, which most people only fantasize about experiencing. I don't live in the fantasy world, nor is there any need for me to speculate.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE

It is simple. There has been an effective social conditioning program ongoing throughout the world since the 1950's in which we are subconsciously taught aliens are a silly idea. SETI would be a part of this program.

I guess it would be stupid of me to ask for any proof of this? Or is this your typical opinion passed of as fact?

I and others have explained why we dont believe in visiting aliens....and yet, the usual suspects come in and point fingers and say "brainwashed". LOL

I would just like to offer an observation as well..every believer has come into this thread and insulted us skeptics in one way or another. Saying we are scared, brainwashed etc....Read through the responses again.

Your defense mechanism to people who are explaining quite clearly the reasons for their skepticism over what is in effect an incredible claim is very telling. And very sad.

In fact, its clear where this discussion is going, that we cant discuss anything without being put down by others, so im bowing out now.

edit on 13-4-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

My continued argument--I believe that I created the term--is that the acknowledgement of aliens--let's get the terminology right--ETI s, extraterrestrial Intelligence, will instantly make the entire Earth a Third World world.

That positioning would barely get our entire globe and capabilities included at the bottom of Kardashev's hierarchy of technological/intellectual levels across the spread of the galaxy if not the Universe.

The two biggest hits to areas of human endeavors would be, first, to government, as an an affront to most what assume to be their ultimate control of their being and citizenry. Second, would be the dynamic impact on the entire scope and even basic philosophy of Science and its methods.

The common people would accept the news with far less emotional trauma, as has been the case so far, since the arrival of the UFOs. The silence of over a half century of denial and disinformation from government and Science is testimony to that reality.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
It is not difficult at all to believe in aliens. I feel very alien sometimes. At other times i really wish they'd show up. Other times i imagine it would be horrible. And i've seen things, strange to me. So believing in aliens entirely works with my experiences.
It is hard to state I know aliens exist, because i don't know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join