It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gay people fight for the right for anti-gay businesses to take their money or just boycott?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
I wasn't trying to be either I was just trying to figure out what his person was trying to say. I am sorry you took it the wrong way, because they didn't. There was a lot of conversation going on and it got confusing at times.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well, someone who has actually owned a B+M. Did you have to sign a contract stating you will serve everyone who walks through the door in order to open? Serious question.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

But you see, Christian bookstores aren't pretending to be anything other than what they are. I wouldn't go into a Christian bookstore and demand they order in textbooks on Evolution or copies of the Qur'an.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Why are you talking about contracts? We are talking about businesses like bakeries, grocery stores, and such that are open to the public.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

But you see, Christian bookstores aren't pretending to be anything other than what they are. I wouldn't go into a Christian bookstore and demand they order in textbooks on Evolution or copies of the Qur'an.

Oh god that's a big BINGO right there! You cannot walk into that bookstore and demand those books!

HUGE DIFFERENCE!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien
Because even bakeries and grocery stores deal with a lot of contracts.....

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It has been over 10 years. There was a lot of paperwork and to be honest I didn't read it all but my wife did.

Basically, you do not have to take contractual obligations for specialized work, but if you offer a certain service at a set rate it is the same as a menu item or shelved product.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Is that not the expectation when you open a business in a public area with an unlocked door and an open sign? That anyone who comes through the door and finds what they want can purchase it? How am I suppose to distinguish between what store I can go into and not if they are in a place like a strip mall or a retail/business area of a city?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

No they open their businesses to the public. As far as the contract is concerned, the contract is with the government. To get a business license you have to follow the laws.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Ah I see. So there I am definitely exempted. I am guessing that a lot of businesses that are sued advertise they sell a wedding cake for x price, or will photograph a wedding for x price. I have always set my prices per job. Too many variables to advertise any set prices in the construction business.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
So if the majority of people in a state say something is allowed by law no matter what the Federal government says is the law, it's okay now?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I do not know much about contractual business but I would imagine that you can refuse requests from people or organizations such as Westboro Baptist Church.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog
If they are public areas, then why are they required to pay rent, or purchase said property? I don't see why anyone would open a B+M business anymore really. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle to me. Too much like working for a boss for my tastes.
edit on Sat, 04 Apr 2015 22:50:43 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I'm referring more to the businesses Deaf Alien was speaking of like bakeries and florist shops. There's a different expectation of public accessibility to businesses of those kind versus a specialized business or one that really is only for a niche community/public.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien
I can refuse requests from anyone I want. I simply say no thanks, you will have to find someone else.

I normally don't deal with organizations for the most parts, just individuals. I might be doing a job at an organization, but it is either the owner, or the contractor hired to do the job that I am contracting with. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is when I did the floors in a college gymnasium, that time the contract was with the school board if I recall correctly.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
None of this will matter in 20 years when the whole country is under Sharia Law.

link   

OK but here we are talking about businesses that are open to the public. Let's stick to that (as per the topic of this thread).

link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Ah I see. So there I am definitely exempted. I am guessing that a lot of businesses that are sued advertise they sell a wedding cake for x price, or will photograph a wedding for x price. I have always set my prices per job. Too many variables to advertise any set prices in the construction business.

Yes, you are exempted and your examples are correct.

Still because I am iffy on some things it would probably be a good idea to not tell someone your turning down a job based on you don't like all (insert protected class).

You can tell the person they are an A-hole and you would never work for them but don't make any statements like all (race, creed, sexual orientation) people are a-holes.

I am sure you have the common sense not to do that anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Personally, I only really turn down jobs because I can't get the job done when they need it, or they are indeed assholes lol. I am honest with the people when it comes to time, but I usually don't give a reason at all to the assholes, out of civility. I just say no thanks.

Still, I am glad to have the freedom to turn down any job, it's one of the main reasons I wanted to work for myself.

edit on Sat, 04 Apr 2015 23:00:42 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
a reply to: Annee
So if the majority of people in a state say something is allowed by law no matter what the Federal government says is the law, it's okay now?

Been a long time since I read up on it.

But, something about changes in society when a majority support it.

Kind of the same like gay marriage. Support has passed 51%.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join