It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi forces take back Tikrit from ISIS, official says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Iraqi forces take back Tikrit from ISIS, official says

ISIS is still losing ground guys.

(CNN)Iraqi forces battling to wrest Tikrit from ISIS are now in control of the city, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said Tuesday on Iraqiya TV.

Al-Abadi, who is also the top military commander, said on state television that the city was liberated.

Iraqi forces reached the center of Tikrit and hoisted the nation's flag on top of the Governorate Building, al-Abadi said. Fighting continued on the outskirts of the city, he added.

Some American air strikes apparently made this possible.

The push into Tikrit comes days after a series of U.S.-led airstrikes targeted ISIS targets around the city.

The airstrikes made it possible for the Iraqi forces to move through the city. Troops reported finding dozens of roadside bombs and booby-trapped buildings as they combed the city.

I've said for a while now, ISIS is on its way out. Sure they won't die overnight, but they are constantly losing ground and relevance around the world. Their claims of creating a caliphate are becoming harder and harder for them to achieve. And now local forces are regaining control in that part of the world. Clearly the fighting isn't over by a long shot, but anyone who still thinks we need boots on the ground is seriously mistaken.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've yet to see the positives for ISIS since I called it in November time...

Downhill all the way

They'll continue to lose ground, and fighters.

& I'll continue to look on admirably at the YPG Twitter photos of dead ISIS members.

S&F for the good news!
edit on 31-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Yet another issue over hyped by the fear mongering train huh?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Good,and about time.
Daesh were massivley outnumbered but used many booby traps to slow the advance.
I bet Tikrit is wreaked as a city sadly.

Onwards to Mosul.
The head of the snake in Iraq.

Very sadly,that will destroy much of Mosul as well,probably this summer.

A horrid situation,but IS cannot be left to fester and grow.
Whoever's bright idea it was,they are out of control.

Iraq PM says Tikrit has been taken back:

news.sky.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Absolutely.

I must admit calling for troops early on, not through fear, but so it could be dealt with asap...
SAS, SEALs, Marines etc

But these towns are so full of ISIS that it's nigh on impossible for civillians to be caught up in Airstrikes.

Good riddance.

link   
Wonderful news. The sooner this bunch of nutters is removed from the map the better. They give good Muslims (99.9999999%) a bd name and are being demonized by the actions of a few nutters. Their treatment of Christians in the cradle and homeland of Christianity makes me sick. Go go US airforce, Iran, Iraq, Assad, all of you rid the region of these nutters

link   

If the USA,was ever in a real war! We would never need to put boots on the ground! We are so advanced !

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just let it be known that ISIS was prophecised to fall...

Let it also be known that the Iraqi Army are not cowards who drop weapons and run in the opposite direction...

ISIS were funded & handed weapons caches by Saddam's former henchmen who joined the barbarism...

99 ISIS pricks on the wall, 99 ISIS pricks...
Shoot one down, he lands on the ground...
98 ISIS pricks left on the wall...

98... Ahhh you get it!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

I kind of actually agree with this. I've theorized before how a real war with China would proceed (minus nukes that is) and it involves obtaining air superiority over their country and blockading the majority of their forces with our Navy.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
That is good news! Congrats to everyone involved. If ISIS is losing strength, I wonder how strong their numbers still are.

The next predicted battle will be to retake Mosul in April or May.

I find it interesting that Harper, who has just escalated and prolonged the Canadian mission to include bombing inside Syria (!) and several of his ministers refer to the group only as ISIL. Who else but expansionist Israel defines the area as the Levant? I've never heard of the Levant before this group came along. Hmm. There were a couple of threads on that that I'll have to review.

Aren't they all sick of this continuous killing yet?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: DEANORULES24

I kind of actually agree with this. I've theorized before how a real war with China would proceed (minus nukes that is) and it involves obtaining air superiority over their country and blockading the majority of their forces with our Navy.

Thats basicaly how the allies ended up winning WW1 RN blockade of Germany meant they ran out of food, ammo and metal.

Its why they collapsed quite quickly in the final few days.

A hungry army is a useless army.

I can see if there was a war China turning on itself when famine sets in.

edit on 31-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

But these towns are so full of ISIS that it's nigh on impossible for civillians to be caught up in Airstrikes.

Good riddance.

I am calling you out on total hypocrisy and here is why.

You like a military operation that destroys the terrorists you don't like when it also claims some civilians but totally rampage against Israel when a few civilians become casualties of war killing those terrorists you support.
edit on 31-3-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It’s not over yet.

The festering wound is still in Syria like a cancer from hell.

The Gulf state Wahhabi skunks and the Turkey Bastards who help disable and cripple Syria are still loose and now even attacking Yemen.

Only when the world sees slimy ignorant Wahhabism (Salafism) as the menace it is will the world be somewhat safe and true Islam can reform with a world where the feminine principle balances the patriarchal madness of humankind.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Good riddance.

I am calling you out on total hypocrisy and here is why.

You like a military operation that destroys the terrorists you don't like when it also claims some civilians but totally rampage against Israel when a few civilians become casualties of war killing those terrorists you support.

Please show me where I support airstrikes that hit civillians...

I'll wait...

All night long.

You're so confrontational with everything I post I can't help but wonder why you're so obsessed with responding to me.

Anywho, call out what you like.

Israel are a disgrace and I've yet to hear of civillians being hit by any coalition Airstrikes on ISIS...
& when I do hear such, I'll condemn such.

Such and such!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is from the "official" Iraqi government.

I hesitate to believe anything they say and wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw a mountain.

How does the average person confirm this "official report"?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So Iranian commanders take Tikrit from ISIS.
Glad the ISIS body count has grown...but will Iran relinquish control and move out after the town is secured?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Glad the ISIS body count has grown...but will Iran relinquish control and move out after the town is secured?

It comes down to who would you rather deal with as a western government-the leadership of Iran,or Isis.
that is the choice.

The (engineered?)sunni/shia civil war in the middle east it seems,is something the western governments will let happen and even activley encourage.

Stick with Saudi,the west supports the sunni ISIS death cult-but hey,we get the oil.
Support Assad,or the Houthis,or the Shia in Iraq,then the west is on team Iran.

The governments will continue this horror story,while most of the regular folks of all countries concerned would rather just be friends and trade with one another in peace.

We humans are doing it wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Good.. Hope they stack em up like cord wood then burn the bodies.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

For the record, Iran's working with Iraq's government. And it's advisers are there by request from Iraq's government itself. So it's not like Iran's actually in control of any of the territory, much less in a position to relinquish or maintain control of it.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but there's a pretty good interview from a top Iranian official about their involvement in Iraq. I can't take credit for it though, someone else posted it in another thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
ISIS sounds a lucrative business.

www.thefiscaltimes.com...

$100 BILLION !!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join