It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up to 30 injured in NYC building collapse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

As many as 30 people were hurt in the partial collapse of an East Village building Thursday afternoon, law-enforcement sources told The Post.
The destruction near the corner of Second Avenue and East Seventh Street was reported shortly before 3:30 p.m.
The FDNY quickly declared a three-alarm emergency at the scene, which it said was a mixed-occupancy building at 125 Second Ave.

Up to 30 injured in NYC building collapse

FDNY Twitter:

FDNY Twitter

MAN 7-ALARM 125 2 AVE, MIXED OCCUPANCY MAJOR BUILDING COLLAPSE,

A 7-alarm fire would be massive would it not? They updated it from 3-4-5-7 or something in that order on their twitter page it looks like...unless I am reading that wrong.

Geez.....wonder what the cause of this was. The pics from the source look nasty, and I would be worried about the surrounding buildings as well.

edit on 3/26/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Sadly, it's usually a Gas explosion in these types of incidents.

Not nice, but pipes can rupture at anytime.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Multiple injuries reported

Looks like there was something going on there before as there was a stop work order. Fire appears to be spreading too. Hope they get it under control and nobody has died.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Sadly, it's usually a Gas explosion in these types of incidents.

Not nice, but pipes can rupture at anytime.

One of the tweets I saw said there was an explosion, so yeah....gas line would make sense.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Multiple injuries reported

Looks like there was something going on there before as there was a stop work order. Fire appears to be spreading too. Hope they get it under control and nobody has died.

If is was a gas line that was hit, would that spread or just go up in one big bang? That would suck if more of the area went up....looks like a lot of people are there too.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Any suspicions of terrorism or sabotage?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
After some looking on Google Street View, I located the building and it looks wholly unremarkable for NY. Maybe 5 stories tall, a business on the bottom, probably apartments above it.

My thoughts are with everyone involved, hopefully the numbers of injured and dead don't climb.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any suspicions of terrorism or sabotage?

No idea, but it went from 2 alarm to 7 alarm within 30 minutes according to the FDNY Twitter page.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

No idea. I would say it's entirely possible to go either way. Not sure how old the infrastructure is there but one would hope turning off the gas would be the first step in getting the fire under control.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Can you see if this was a prewar?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Explosion, building collapse and now the building next door is burning. I can hear the sirens from my office.
buildings and clouds are blocking my view in that direction but it's clear there's a whole lot of Emergency vehicles heading there.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Looking at the buildings and the road itself on Street View, I'd say not much has been done to the gas lines, water lines, or any other infrastructure in that area in awhile. The road looks torn to bits. I'd say if they were working on any pipes, they'd have to tear up the road and repave. I'm not an expert, though, and I'm also sure NY streets get beat up pretty quickly.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Man, I gotta feel for NY lately. It wasn't too long ago that another building caught fire after a hot plate used by an Orthodox Jewish family over the Sabbath malfunctioned, killing I believe 5 of 7 or 8 of the family's children
Those old wood buildings are kindling waiting to go poof, all it takes is one accident. This building, if it's of the old wooden variety, wouldn't stand much of a chance (not that any building in a gas fire stands much of a chance)
edit on 3/26/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Crakeur

Then let's hope it doesn't turn into a major incident. Let us also hope they contain the fire and it doesn't damage too many buildings.

link   

originally posted by: Crakeur
Explosion, building collapse and now the building next door is burning. I can hear the sirens from my office.
buildings and clouds are blocking my view in that direction but it's clear there's a whole lot of Emergency vehicles heading there.

I was just looking at a 7-alarm fire video from Pittsburgh and it had what looked like 50 firetrucks there. How far away is it from you?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Reports of explosions.
link

I got alerted to this by my scanner app. It alerts me when 2500 or more are listening to a channel

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad
Reports of explosions.
link

I got alerted to this by my scanner app. It alerts me when 2500 or more are listening to a channel

Is that a lot? I don't know the first thing about scanners. Would that be public listeners?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

I was thinking it was more likely gas lines disrupted inside the building from an unpermitted structural modification or something. Who knows what old ratty pipes are running inside the walls. Old capped stubs from yesteryear and that kind of thing.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Looking at the buildings and the road itself on Street View, I'd say not much has been done to the gas lines, water lines, or any other infrastructure in that area in awhile. The road looks torn to bits. I'd say if they were working on any pipes, they'd have to tear up the road and repave. I'm not an expert, though, and I'm also sure NY streets get beat up pretty quickly.

It wouldn't be a gas pipe in the street that has caused this. A building like this would require a large boiler or several smaller boilers, all of which is fed through 25mm to 50mm pipes which run through the building. If one of those ruptures or is in fact punctured, it only take a spark to set off an explosion.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I wouldn't know how to tell, but the address is 125 Second Avenue if you want to check.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join