It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skynet is well on it's way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Only in technology circles it's called the Internet of Things (IOT).

For better or worse, we are about the enter the age of smart everything. Whatever you think of that proposition, the fact is that sensors, the tiny devices that fuel the Internet of Things are getting smaller and cheaper all the time. As they do, we will start to see them transmitting data from some highly unlikely intelligent devices, while tracking everything from road conditions to building health to cars to industrial equipment.

Skynet (IOT)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lucifuge

It won't be called "Skynet" -- Ironically I think the military is calling it "Battlenet" ... yes, like the World of Warcraft servers.

Pretty soon soldiers in the field will have an insane amount of information on hand held displays. Ever soldier's position, predictive enemy movements, UAV and satellite data and close air support up-links.

The scary thing is they're talking about integrating AI into all of this to give commanders suggestions on who to strike, where to move and so on. Everything will be integrated together to enable a better overall "overview" of the battlefield. Everyone will be talking and sharing information with everyone else.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Well, we better not shut it down. It could try to ensure its survival by destroying humanity.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Skynet already exists, its a name for a group of UK MoD satellites.

nothing to do with killler time-travelling cyborgs though.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Not yet...give it a couple years!!😏😏a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
A really weird idea but...wouldn't it be crazy if it was used to prevent wars and create more freedom?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I have seen discussion of DVRs that would know not only what the people watched, but would also be able to sense if people were in the room, how many, and movement, etc. Refrigerators that would track groceries. The only question I have is, why would anyone WANT such a thing in their home? Of course, the average person probably wouldn't even know the capabilities were present. Heck, how many think using FB on a cell phone is safe?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
biomimetic liquid alloy memory metal: phys.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
Refrigerators that would track groceries. The only question I have is, why would anyone WANT such a thing in their home?
I read about refrigerators that track groceries too. The selling point is that it can tell when you're running out of things which can then be re-supplied to your house.

However such a thing has the potential for abuse. If someone finds out your refrigerator has been ordering less healthy foods like lettuce and celery, and more unhealthy foods like ice cream, the insurance companies might want to use such information to raise your family's insurance rates. We aren't there yet, but we need to think about ways data can be abused as well as how it can be used.

Maybe you'd rather have an electronic toothbrush so your dentist can critique how you brush your teeth? From the OP story:

The toothbrush uses Bluetooth and a mobile app to capture data about your tooth brushing habits. It includes a timer to make sure you’re brushing for a full two minutes, and it maps your brushing so if you concentrate really hard on your bottom front and give short shrift to your upper molars, the app lets you know and gives you feedback.

You can even share your toothbrushing data with your dentist or hygienist
I'll pass, and besides my dentist says two minutes probably isn't long enough so he might not even agree with the toothbrush.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
Refrigerators that would track groceries. The only question I have is, why would anyone WANT such a thing in their home?
I read about refrigerators that track groceries too. The selling point is that it can tell when you're running out of things which can then be re-supplied to your house.

However such a thing has the potential for abuse. If someone finds out your refrigerator has been ordering less healthy foods like lettuce and celery, and more unhealthy foods like ice cream, the insurance companies might want to use such information to raise your family's insurance rates. We aren't there yet, but we need to think about ways data can be abused as well as how it can be used.

Exactly! That abuse is what would worry me!
Not much different from how the commissaries are scanning ID cards now (you cannot buy there without doing it!!), so they can know every single thing each person purchases. Have to tell you; what we purchase on post has decreased a LOT since they started that. ONLY some meats, depending on price, and sale items. That sort of information supposedly isn't abused, but we all know how that goes! I can just see the data being collected, and used to track what soldiers, and their families, are eating, and using the data to demand changes for "health" reasons or whatever. I could even see them tying in health care with this, and stating that people would not be covered if they didn't eat as they were told.

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
Maybe you'd rather have an electronic toothbrush so your dentist can critique how you brush your teeth? From the OP story:

The toothbrush uses Bluetooth and a mobile app to capture data about your tooth brushing habits. It includes a timer to make sure you’re brushing for a full two minutes, and it maps your brushing so if you concentrate really hard on your bottom front and give short shrift to your upper molars, the app lets you know and gives you feedback.

You can even share your toothbrushing data with your dentist or hygienist
I'll pass, and besides my dentist says two minutes probably isn't long enough so he might not even agree with the toothbrush.

I can see myself tossing that contraption in the trash after one use. I don't want a toothbrush telling me what to do! Who would?!?!? Dentists and insurance companies, and control freaks, would like this stuff, but the average person? I hope not!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
biomimetic liquid alloy memory metal: phys.org...

Now that's seriously creepy! I always wonder how much more advanced the research is that what we are told. Something like this, I wonder even more!

No one in research listens to Ian Malcolm. *sigh*

new topics

top topics

join