It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby squirrel. So cute! Ugh..now what!?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Waiting for the drop off now squirrel not doing well at all. Say a prayer or send positive vibes please.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

WHAT?!?! I thought he turned a corner.
Oh my ... I"m sending positive thoughts his way.
I'm glad you found folks online who could help.
I hope it works out.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Drop off complete.

Outcome is still uncertain for the little squirrel.

But humanity is looking better and better to me today. This couple literally swooped in like Seal Team Six to rescue the little thing..they were so quick and serious, no fooling around. I offered them a donation and they didn't want to take it, they said "This is what we do." The entire Squirrel Board is advising from the sidelines via phone, text and email - all working to save this tiny little creature on this big dang planet. And they are doing this nationwide.

It's #ing amazing.

We (myself included) sit on ATS and pontificate and opine about police, politicians and even regular citizens who try to impact the world. We can be pretty judgey...

But here is this group of people - amazing people with big hearts - who are quietly and selflessly taking action to do their part and bring good to the world for the least among us. It's beautiful. I've learned so much in the past 36 hours and not just about squirrels but about people too.

Please keep up the good vibes for the little thing ATS. I'll update later.
edit on 3/12/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I know! I'm just sick about it. I checked on him a 7:45 this am - he was curled up fine and had obviously eaten some watermelon. I came back from an appointment at 10 am and he was doing a rigid arching and was very stressed.

I put him in the car and hauled ass to the drop off, about 30 minutes away. It was the longest 30 minutes!
I was trying not to any hit bumps or swerve or make too much if any noise in the car with the toddler. Didn't want to stress the squirrel any more than he already was.

Waiting anxiously, hitting refresh over and over again for an update.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Sadly, he didn't make it.

The trip was probably too stressful. He was dehydrated with a low body temperature. The body temp has to be raised before hydration but he was past the tipping point and passed on.

I'm really so sorry. I should have taken him there last night.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Baby squirrel. So cute! Ugh..now what!?

Death?

Wow, I swear I had not seen your above post.
edit on 12-3-2015 by PanicButton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sorry to hear of his passing.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So sorry to hear. Bless you and your effort.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You did your best. Poor you. maybe his or her mum rejected it because it was unwell. Hugs Z

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Poor sweet little baby squirrel. You did what you could at least. Now the little one is on his new journey in a better place.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I feel for you, Kosmic. Years ago, I had 2 baby squirrels decide I was their mom (they ran up my pant leg before I ever saw them, that must have been a funny dance for the masses) They were super easy to care for, being that they seemed to have been recently weaned and were eating nuts and fruits. I'd even collected acorns for them, they seemed to know which ones were good to eat & which weren't. They lived for a good 2 months with me & 2 cats (the squirrels were in a cage indoors, loose outdoors)

I had been doing some reorganizing inside one cooler day, and had put them outside for a while in their cage. They had a blanket nest to snuggle in, I figured that plus their own insulation would suffice for a few hours. They died overnight at some point
I can't be sure if they had simply gotten sick prior & I didn't know it, or if I didn't bring them inside in time & they got too cold, but I always felt like crap afterward. Still do, to be honest, I've always wondered if it was my fault

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I'm so sorry.

Well, as I have had a crash course in squirrels, I learned that baby squirrels have difficulty maintaining their body temp on their own. It's deceptive because they otherwise appear quite capable. So..definitely not your fault. Also baby squirrels can seem weened and not really be fully weened yet.

Last night I switched to a different bedding when I cleaned the cage. I read that you shouldn't use a towel - which is what I had unknowingly used at first - because their tiny claws can get caught in the loops and rip out. The resource I read said cloth diapers were good to use., which I had, so I switched. But, in reflecting on it...the thickness just did not compare to the towel, even though I used two and the box was on a heating pad.

That coupled with dehydration was a double whammy.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Even back then with as much info was on the net, there just wasn't much for caring for juvenile squirrels. I never came across the body temp regulation information. The wildlife shelter I'd contacted that had no room at the time never mentioned it. All they told me was to use soft smooth bedding, fresh fruit & veggies, and hard root veggies would work for keeping their tooth sharpness in check. They suggested kid pedialyte like you used, and in a pinch, kitten milk for a very short period, but that it wasn't advisable for long term use because it's not formulated for them. If I'd only known that they were still too young to properly regulate their body heat, I could have known not to put them outside that day & they may have kept on kickin'.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join