It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the blind be able to own firearms?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That's a very good point.
How does it apply to concealed carry?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Bet ya they are better…

At seeing?

At operating in the dark...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Remember, guns just don't defend people against people. Animals are always a threat in some areas.

I asked about owning a gun in small town remote locations earlier and nobody took a bite.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

WE don't HAVE licences outside the occupied territories of liberals and urban sprawls.

link   

originally posted by: Phage

That's a very good point.
How does it apply to concealed carry?

It doesn't and I would not suggest a blind person carry in public. Glove taser would rock though...hehe

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: FireflyStars

Seeing in the dark is not the same thing as legal blindness, not even close.

Wouldn't that be something great to test. Personally if I was blind and someone broke into my house I would like a way to defend myself...

Then buy an attack dog.

Here is a simple fact that apparently some (not inherently you) are missing....I will concede that it may be completely possible to teach a blind person to fire a weapon at a stationary target. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that an intruder in the home is going to simply stand in one place and let you dump off rounds at them, and as such, any training that a blind person receives would then be null and void, and they simply become danger to neighbors....and before you or anyone else pipes up about heightened senses and things of that nature, let me put that to rest. This idea that every blind person has the sensory perception of Daredevil is just nonsense. Sure, they are better than most people when it comes to getting around without seeing where they are going, but its not so much better that they have total spacial awareness.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

I asked about owning a gun in small town remote locations earlier and nobody took a bite.

I carry when I ride my mountain bike in remote areas and also when I camp with my family...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

It doesn't and I would not suggest a blind person carry in public.

Not even if they fulfill the requisites? Wouldn't that be unconstitutional?

edit on 3/8/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bullseyelqcs

Here is a simple fact that apparently some (not inherently you) are missing....

Here is the simple fact that apparently you are missing....Fire a shotgun in your house (hell shoot the ceiling) and the intruders are gone....

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

That's a good point, from a constitutional point of view. It's something to think about.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hi Phage. As far as blind hunting he just pulls the trigger. The guide (in both cases) aims for him in that video. More properly he doesn't hunt, he dispatches game.

That dude is a statistic looking for some place to happen.

link   

Here is the simple fact that apparently you are missing....Fire a shotgun in your house (hell shoot the ceiling) and the intruders are gone....

Maybe...maybe not. But that said, maybe you want to take a stab at my earlier question about limiting the firearms blind people can own.

link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Shotguns can be tough if your attacker catches you off guard and tries to wrestle it from your hands. A small pistol would not be hard to aim by pressing it against the individual.

You are in bed all alone and blind, and you hear your front door get kicked in and people moving towards your bedroom, you reach for your shotgun and wait...I can't see that as a bad thing to have at that point in time.

I think its safe to assume they would have an extremely accurate idea of where any window or door was located.

Point and shoot.

The pea under my mattress is do you really know who is busting down your door at three in the morning? Couldn't it just be your drunk brother Harry on a coke binge?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Mom always did like Harry better than me...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A GSD service dog would work pretty well too.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Here's an idea: a gun sight for the blind. Instead of something like a laser scope, it sends a ping out, much like sonar. Considering the videos I posted earlier dealing with echolocation, I think it might be possible for it to work. On the other hand, I don't know if they would be able to tell the difference between a human or furniture or whatever; let alone who their target is.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Not even if they fulfill the requisites? Wouldn't that be unconstitutional?

I said I would not suggest... I say let them carry if they so choose and be responsible for ones actions. We all make life choices and many make bad ones, real bad ones blind or not blind. We have already grayed out the 2nd quite a bit haven't we, so I'm not so sure if limiting a group like the blind would be ruled in favor or not by the SCOTUS.

edit on 8-3-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Here is the simple fact that apparently you are missing....Fire a shotgun in your house (hell shoot the ceiling) and the intruders are gone….

The ol Joe Biden, huh? Wasn't he the one that recommended ladies bang away with a gauge from their balcony?

Discharging a firearm in the city limits is illegal. Racking the slide on a pump shotgun is a good deterrent if you want to send a message.

Tchk-Tchk!

But I wouldn't recommend it, gives away your position. Just sit in your back bedroom behind the bed, barrel leveled on the closed doorway and wait… real quiet.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

At worst it might require a closer look at what "demonstrating competency with a handgun" entails.

edit on 3/8/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Mom always did like Harry better than me...

Harry is that you!!

No answer

Bam Bam Bam!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join