It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the blind be able to own firearms?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I wonder how everyone feels about this? Anyone can point and shoot a gun and blind people should have the right to own a firearm within reason. Using a shotgun or pistol would help immensely over a rifle and each of them has their different advantages.

Shotguns provide short to medium range depending on the setup. Point and shoot if you can track the sound of your intruder. Just don't be mad when you accidentally shoot the dog.

A pistol can help with close range defense. Get tangled up with someone and they don't stand a chance if you can squeeze a round off.

Since the point is to avoid killing anybody unnecessarily, I would imagine it would be much harder for a blind person to judge accordingly. This might lead to people disagreeing with their right to own a firearm when they cant properly determine the level of danger they are in.

Below is a video from NRA News. They seem to be onboard. I would love to hear from other members who work or have been trained using firearms whether or not there is any usefulness to a blind person carrying and using a gun for defense. Good judgment and responsibility definitely play into owning a firearm, but there are many variables to take into account. Everyone should have the right, but is it logical?

edit on 7-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Oh dear. I really don't know what to say.

Of course they should be able to own guns. Just worried about the dog. And other things.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Just not bullets...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This puts me in mind of one of the actual answers people gave on UK's Family Fortune.
"Name something a blind person might use"
answer: "A sword"

Seriously though. HOW THE # CAN A BLIND PERSON HAVE A #ING FIREARMS LICENCE???

That is one of the dumbest things I've recently heard. I actually checked the calender to see if it was April 1st yet.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
They're probably better shots than 90% of the people who talk up their collections and abilities here on ATS.

Just sayin'.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well...you may as well give them drivers licenses too and cars that have a cane waving out the front or possibly a Labrador to bark for turning corners.........

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Er... Half way through the girl shooting she said "yeah I've seen that on the movies like the gangbangers" and turned the gun sideways. 1. Was she born blind/limited vision? 2. This is not very encouraging to see as far as gun safety.

I'm disabled myself so don't think I'm ripping on anyone. We just don't have the regulation in place for this to be remotely ok on a widespread basis.

My ex was legally blind and thought he could get a concealed carry permit(?!). He can only see details like facial features from 6 inches away. Absurd. It's really easy to disarm most blind people. I can see that being a nightmare.

(I live in a high violent crime city with a very large concentration of deaf/blind community members)
edit on 7-3-2015 by FireflyStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
No.

A firearm requires eyesight to use. It is that simple. A blind person cannot identify a target and shooting at noise is not an option. Your dog, the neighbors kids, some poor sod walking past your house could all get killed or injured.

Now if you asked, "What weapon should a blind person use?" My answer would be, "A short sword."

I have trained in fighting without sight and a sword is doable. Warn once, and then strike swiftly at any noise that comes near you. You need an awesome amount of training and a willingness to be remorseless. Keep attacking until the only sounds of breathing are your own.

But a gun, never. Range is just too great.

Heck, the Police shoot bystanders and they are highly trained individuals with eyesight.

Blind is just silly.

German Shepherds make great guide dogs and are a good defensive strategy for the blind.

P

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Why not ask if the the blind should be able to use appliances, or a pocket knife, or a tool of any sort.

Should the blind not operate a stove? Should they not be allowed to walk across a road? Or have a TV?

Very ignorant post.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sure why not Its a free world I guess! I mean people write crazy threads and get away with that also..so whos to say..

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyTreason
Why not ask if the the blind should be able to use appliances, or a pocket knife, or a tool of any sort.

Should the blind not operate a stove? Should they not be allowed to walk across a road? Or have a TV?

Very ignorant post.

None of those things launch deadly projectiles. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Soemone say, Sic him Fido!

No better point and shoot weapon than a dog.

Or a claymore mine. They even come in Braille…

Front Toward Enemy

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
A question to all who think they shouldn't own a firearm...

What if their rights were limited to inside but not beyond the wall of their place of residence?

They are probably very acutely aware of their surroundings and could defend themselves quite well if they had the upper hand.

Intruders want to play with fire so...

link   
Sure, they can own firearms. As long as someone hides the bullets.

link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Man, now You have Thread where we have to think? I'll pass. except for the short answer. No......

edit on 7-3-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Very ignorant post.

Cover your eyes for an entire day, no peeking, then come back and answer.

But hey, lets be PC and give em all cars and hey, why not pilot's licenses.

Ignorant? Hmm.

P

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Of course they should be able to own firearms.

They are American citizens and have the same rights as I do. If they act irresponsibly then they face the same consequences that I do. How is this even a question? Any other answer is discrimination.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Very ignorant post.

Really? I said I supported their right. Home defense seems like the most logical reason. The post was written to spark discussion and get member's OPINIONS on the issue. It seems to be striking many people's nerves.

edit on 7-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow! OK.. sure. Point where the sound came from...

Next thing you know.. your hailing Stevy Wonder for a cab...
Everyone has a right to protect themselves...

But there needs to be some qualifications first... christ.. give the guy with Parkinson's access to the nuke button!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
No.

Anything past that answer is simply making excuses.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join