It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Is Closing Schools On Muslim Holidays for the First Time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I don't have any issue with this.

I feel that secular schools are finally recognizing that freedom OF religion means that all should be allowed.

I would support any recognition and every holiday.

Hell, make the school year "year long" to accomidate everyone.

I'm cool with that.

Faith any faith, should be recognized.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

"
If I had it my way no religious holidays would be recognized but as it is they are. "

Yea, it can get really tricky because what about closing for Jewish holidays or any other religion's holidays? And what is considered a 'real' religion as opposed to someone pretending to believe in The Flying Spaghetti Monster as an excuse to get days off? If a people says the have a personal relationship with God and God told them to not go to school that day should their religious belief be respected as a 'holiday' tpo?

Where is the line drawn is what I'm wondering...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It sounds as if U.S. school districts are taking it upon themselves to redefine the "separation of church and state."

As one school district decides to recognize a new religious holiday, at the expense of ignoring other religious holidays -- students within another school district vote to "remove offensive American flag from 'inclusive' space."

source: www.campusreform.org...

edit on 7-3-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

Cool another point that had nothing to do with this and being taken out context as it clearly states all falgs.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

He's making the point that any affiliation to Christianity with school breaks/vacations and really anything loosely related with school systems and Christianity is now verboten, but it's fine and dandy if it's another religion.

Point being that it's a double standard.

At least that's what I took from it. Either allow it all, or allow none of it. SO if they start giving days off for Islamic holidays, they should have to give days off for EVERY religion. Go look at a Catholic calendar (every other ay is something). Now imagine every religion wanted the same treatment (which they should have if other religions are permitted). That's every day of the school calendar.

I don't think either one of us have a problem with it being an Islamic thing, but I won't speak for Beezer. I have a problem with it because kids don't need more days off, and I can see this being used to open a flood of lawsuits.

I can make up a religion that allows my child to stay home 90% of the year.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Either make it for all or make it for none.

That's the only way it'd be equal.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Every good American knows that holidays are only for Christians, and sometimes Jews!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

NEW YORK (AP) — The nation’s largest public school system will observe the two most important Muslim holidays starting next fall, a policy change hailed Wednesday by Islamic leaders in New York City.

Under the new policy, the city’s 1.1 million-pupil public school system will close on Sept. 24 for Eid al-Adha, which is also known as the Festival of Sacrifice. The holiday of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan, will be observed during summer school in 2016.

“Hundreds of thousands of Muslim families will no longer have to choose between honoring the most sacred days on their calendar or attending school,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in his announcement. [Source]

Given the large Muslim population in NYC, I'd say this was long overdue. And so far, people aren't wigging out over it. Maybe the'y're too busy with Hillary's emails.

This is lame. Seems the math is a bit off there. 1.1 million pupils, average 2 pupils per family, which gives an approximate 550,000 families, right? But there are hundreds of thousands of muslim families now that don't have to choose? WTF is up with that? Are muslims now more than 40% of the NYC population? I doubt it and it just looks like appeasement and the tail wagging the dog yet again. As I said LAME.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: R3v3l4710ns
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Every good American knows that holidays are only for Christians, and sometimes Jews!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice try.

I will give you 3/4th of an internet for effort.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I guess I just don't see how this is different then easter, less common now I'll agree but takes place in my old stomping grounds, or christmas break.

New York City public schools have long closed for major Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur as well as the Christian holidays of Christmas and Good Friday.

Or for them getting good friday off.
And I was more getting at the flag thing, that really has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Ahh, I thought we were on the same page. Didn't want to put words in your mouth.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

What is unequal?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

What is unequal?

are you going to insult me with a pendantic question?

unequal would mean favoring one religion over another.

You, sir, have just insulted me.

Good day.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Ok...
Seemed like a rather simple question.
They get good friday off and break for christmas, what is unequal?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Ok...
Seemed like a rather simple question.

Speaking as a Christian, I would say that inequality lies in not every religion being respected.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Any one in particular or just that not all of them are being respected?

In the context of giving the kids the day off school that is of course.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Any one in particular or just that not all of them are being respected?

In the context of giving the kids the day off school that is of course.

Smart ass.

I could give a f### what days.

Either respect all or respect none.

I can't make it any simpler if I wrote it in crayon.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Now beez I am just trying to get your position, if you want it for all then this is a step forward for that, right?
If you want it for none, then fine take away them all, including the long standing ones.
Seems like that goes against this

I feel that secular schools are finally recognizing that freedom OF religion means that all should be allowed.

But maybe I am just misreading that.

I am not sure how me asking what is unequal and who is not being respect is being a smart ass..
To me that is just trying to clarify what is being said.

So who is not being respected?
I can't make that question any simpler either.

I guess I should ask, where was the outrage before this if clearly a religon was clearly not being represented
edit on thSat, 07 Mar 2015 01:06:06 -0600America/Chicago320150680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

All religions get those days off not just Christians.

They have no problem enjoying the two weeks off for when we use to call it Christmas break and when we changed the name to winter break to appease all religions they still had no problem enjoying the break but now all of a sudden they feel like they will fall back on their studies if they take 1 day off.

Admit it this is their way to sneak shira law into this country bit by bit.

edit on 7-3-2015 by thesaneone because: It needed a monkey face

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Admit it this is their way to sneak shira law into this country bit by bit.

No, that is crazy.

This has nothing to do with law.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join