It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Is Closing Schools On Muslim Holidays for the First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — The nation’s largest public school system will observe the two most important Muslim holidays starting next fall, a policy change hailed Wednesday by Islamic leaders in New York City.

Under the new policy, the city’s 1.1 million-pupil public school system will close on Sept. 24 for Eid al-Adha, which is also known as the Festival of Sacrifice. The holiday of Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan, will be observed during summer school in 2016.

“Hundreds of thousands of Muslim families will no longer have to choose between honoring the most sacred days on their calendar or attending school,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in his announcement. [Source]

Given the large Muslim population in NYC, I'd say this was long overdue. And so far, people aren't wigging out over it. Maybe the'y're too busy with Hillary's emails.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Sharia Law !!!

It's coming true !!!

Pretty good vote catcher too.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Outraged Christians incoming...

If we can shut down schools for Christian holidays then why not Muslim ones? I think this is a great idea and a step toward religious equality in America.

I'm sure ISIS will be brought up at some point to paint this as a bad idea. ISIS isn't Islam just like WBC isn't Christianity.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
So schools have stopped with religious influences? There's going to be no more "separation of church and state" coming from certain quarters?

Okay.

Just as long as they recognize all religious holidays. Allow the 10 Commandments back where they have removed them. Allow prayer in school.

Then I'm cool with that.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

So shutting down schools for Islamic holidays means we should put prayer into schools? How does that make sense? Shutting down schools is not bringing religion into schools. If that's the case then Christianity has been in schools for a while now.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Any comments from the local Rabbinical Councils yet?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So schools have stopped with religious influences? There's going to be no more "separation of church and state" coming from certain quarters?

Okay.

Just as long as they recognize all religious holidays. Allow the 10 Commandments back where they have removed them. Allow prayer in school.

Then I'm cool with that.

Did you even look at the article?

New York City public schools have long closed for major Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur as well as the Christian holidays of Christmas and Good Friday.

Glad your cool with it

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
New York City public schools have long closed for major Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur as well as the Christian holidays of Christmas and Good Friday.

Relax folks, this won't make your kids Muslim.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Allow prayer in school.

So you are advocating government-fostered prayers??

Reason I say that is because personal prayer never has and never could be outlawed in public schools.

The courts have declared government-fostered prayers unconstitutional - those led, required, sanctioned, scheduled or suggested by officials.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any comments from the local Rabbinical Councils yet?

Same question to you.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I don't have a problem with this, but if a school system(s) is going to recognize religious holidays then where's the "separation"? I mean, they've stopped calling Christmas, Christmas, but they kept the holiday, I have no problem with Ramadan being included in that.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Outraged Christians incoming...

If we can shut down schools for Christian holidays then why not Muslim ones?

What Christian Holidays are schools shut down for? Jewish ones?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

Relax folks, this won't make your kids Muslim.

But won't this add to the radicalization?

edit on Mar-06-2015 by xuenchen because: [__;12;__]

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Who is this they you speak of?

"They" call Christmas Christmas and Diwali Diwali and Rosh Hashanah Rosh Rosh Hashanah too.

All the Hindus and Muslims at work wish us Americans Merry Christmas and we return the favor. Even us atheists. It enlightens everyone and we get to have some great food.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

By giving grade school kids a day off?

Please explain how it could lead to radicalization.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

A lot of Christian holidays fall on Sundays when school is already out but kids get 3 weeks off around Christmas and it is even called "Christmas break" by most.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Every day is a libertarian holiday so, we should close all public schools, period.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
What about Diwali or lunar new years those are major holidays to the Hindus and the Chinese and there are plenty of them in New York don't they deserve it too?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: abe froman

A lot of Christian holidays fall on Sundays when school is already out but kids get 3 weeks off around Christmas and it is even called "Christmas break" by most.

It's called winter break and spring break not Christmas or Easter break.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Schools are let out for 2-3 weeks around Christmas, I don't think 2 days is that big of a problem personally. Why should Muslim kids have to attend school on their religious holidays or it count against them when Christian kids never have to?

I would say Islamic children shouldn't have those days marked against them but that would mean they'd be a lesson or two behind the other kids who aren't Islamic.

Closing school has nothing to do with separation of church and state in my opinion just as "Christmas break" doesn't have anything to do with it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join