It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange lights on dwarf planet Ceres have scientists perplexed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
first off im not sure if this is the correct forum. if not feel free to move it

p.s. how the heck do you attach a photo?? i clicked insert an image and couldnt navigate anywhere..anyways heres the story
found it very interesting. as well as their "theories" on whats causing it. not sure if im buying the "its ice reflecting light" excuse

what do you guys think this could be??

SOURCE

postimg.org...

"A dwarf planet is shining two bright lights at a NASA spacecraft right now, and our smartest scientists are unsure what they are. As bizarre as that sentence sounds, that's the situation with Ceres — the largest object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, officially designated as a dwarf planet (the same category as Pluto). "

edit on 26-2-2015 by Baltazar84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Baltazar84

The image:

I bet it's some rocks or object protruding from the surface. I am saying this because other people have bet that it a patch of ice.

Let us not forget that the brightness of this image has been enhanced - Ceres is actually almost black. So the spots could really just be grey, not luminous.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm right there with you about not knowing how to attach a photo.

But if I did, I'd put up that Giorgio Tsokolous meme that says:

I'm not saying it was aliens,

BUT IT WAS ALIENS.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I have to say that is amazing and thanks for posting it. I don't think it's ice cos it wouldn't shine from all angles (limited knowledge on that) based on the footage. Plus it looks like it's in a crater so I wouldn't say volcano. But amazing picture.

I think we won't be finding out the outcome on March 6th..or some terrible reason for it is. Hopefully proof of other life

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Here you go sir:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Can u get the rotating 3 second video up somehow plz

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
here is the Gif

and the pic

strange

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus

Can u get the rotating 3 second video up somehow plz

That one?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Death Star thrusters…

ETA: …or a frozen lake at the bottom of that crater, reflecting in the sunlight.

edit on 26-2-2015 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Star and flag...

Cause well I'm flabbergasted...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I was going to suggest volcanic activity.

On the other hand, the location of the two bright spots so close together may be an indication that they have a geologic origin, such as some sort of volcanic process, possibly even ice volcanoes. According to Chris Russell, principal investigator for the Dawn mission, the positioning of the bright spots within the same area may indicate "a volcano-like origin of the spots," but scientists will have to wait for higher resolution images before making such interpretations. Scientists don't think the spots comprise lava similar to that seen on Earth, since that would shine more brightly.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Its a city

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Most likely some newly formed craters

This is the Gallilean moon Callisto

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

It's 'Ripley' ....

Quick.... get a ship over there asap.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Those "lights" are actually just holes in the paper.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Baltazar84

I suspect this unusual feature has been allowed to exist without being clearly explained because it helps with the overall general notion that is in vogue today that there may well be other intelligent life out there.

The video stops as the position of the light move away from a position directly opposite the sun. This is a simple open and shut case that is not being allowed to be firmly shut for the reason I offer above.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
2nd shiny new creators my guess

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Ceres is thought to have a relatively thick layer of water ice covered by a dusty crust, so this could be the ice layer showing through.

It could also be a shorter version of the water-ice geysers that we see on Saturn's moon Enceladus -- geysers which are believed to have been spotted on Ceres, too. Maybe somehow the water ice is partially liquified, and the result are geysers or ice volcanoes.

The reason it looks so bright in the image is that Ceres itself is quite dark, so the brightness of the image is adjusted, and the spots may end up being overexposed.

More information about Ceres' interior:
NASA -- Ceres Overview

edit on 2/26/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People
your reply is pretty much just what I read about this issue on NBC news website. As you pointed out about a year ago, water vapor was discovered spewing out from the dwarf planet so many scientists think this is ice. They said it is reflecting back about 40% of light shining on it currently.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Is it possible that its glass? You know, like on the moon, super heated silica making glassy lakes?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join