It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange lights on dwarf planet Ceres have scientists perplexed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
RV attempt with existing data and this image

At first explosion release was detected-
but felt if so plumes would be detected from EA*RTH based technologies if some material release was ejected or released recently.
RV dated impact not recent as more focus was applied-
if impact from "something" like heavy Asteroid was deep surface penetrating
could the revealed deeper surface material of CERES be being observed as reflective?
For example if a planet where to say have a gold or other reflective mineral deposit hidden deep under its surface that was eventually revealed after impact / removal of top surface material
RV end...

Nice find OP

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Cool pic

Looks like a weather balloon

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
For example if a planet where to say have a gold or other reflective mineral deposit hidden deep under its surface that was eventually revealed after impact / removal of top surface material

Or ice.

Scientists think Ceres has a thick layer of water-ice just below the dusty surface. They have also previously detected plumes that they think could be caused by a water-ice geyser or an ice volcano.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Wow. I mean, wow. Not wow in the normal sense of this is cool -- which it is -- but wow in the sense of OMG!

Way, way back in the 80's, when I was attempting to become a science fiction author, one of my short stories included first-contact with a hostile extraterrestrial group. It was one of two stories bought (for $300 each, wow) by Omni Magazine, but then never published as a new editor changed the focus of their fiction strategies.

Here's the strange/freaky part: in the story, we fist discovered the extraterrestrials in the asteroid belt, by seeing sunlight reflecting off their metal structures, on Ceres!

Needless to say, this thread title gave me a bit of a shock this morning.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Any chance you could post the story if you still have it.

Words or it diddn't happen

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceWizard
2nd shiny new creators my guess

"Creators"? You think that Ceres has given birth to two new Gods?

Just flipping you crap.
I assume you meant craters - which makes sense to me too.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I'm going with exposure of the ice layer beneath too.

People seem to forget that a diagram like the one shown in your post is a generalization, and just as we have different topography all over the Earth, there would plausibly be patches on any other planet where the thickness of the crust is shallower.

It looks to me as though there is a potential for water. If this was a younger crater, the area could have remained exposed for a prolonged period allowing ice to create the water vapor they apparently believe they have seen before.

I guess we'll find out more in the coming months, and it's fascinating to see, I can't wait!

I'm sure someone will be along any moment to claim it's an alien outpost... lol

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Yes ice...
Is it the same make of water ice on EA*RTH or another mixture of something that freezes like water ice?
Ice volcano, what is the process of energy going on to cause these on such a small celestial object? Gravitational pulls from both MARS and JUPITER expanding and contracting the celestial object? 1 would think these potential gravitational forces would pull such a small object apart making new asteroids if not pull it CERES in orbit of one of the two closest planets...

But 1 can understand your provided experienced data share of water ice, but then why is it a mystery of the reflection Soylent Green Is People?

NAMASTE*******

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Any chance you could post the story if you still have it.

No. I don't have that one. I wrote it back when you did such things on typewriters, and my original is lost.

I recreated the other story here: The transmission of flight number eight

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Fyi - info about Ceres from Wikipedia:

Ceres /ˈsɪəriːz/[19] (minor-planet designation 1 Ceres) is the largest object in the asteroid belt, which lies between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. It is composed of rock and ice, is 950 km (590 mi) in diameter, and contains approximately one third of the mass of the asteroid belt. It is the only dwarf planet in the inner Solar System. It was the first asteroid to be discovered, on 1 January 1801 by Giuseppe Piazzi in Palermo, though at first it was considered to be a planet. From Earth, the apparent magnitude of Ceres ranges from 6.7 to 9.3, and hence even at its brightest it is too dim to be seen with the naked eye except under extremely dark skies.

Ceres appears to be differentiated into a rocky core and icy mantle, and may harbor an internal ocean of liquid water under its surface. The surface is probably a mixture of water ice and various hydrated minerals such as carbonates and clay. In January 2014, emissions of water vapor were detected from several regions of Ceres.[20] This was somewhat unexpected, because large bodies in the asteroid belt do not typically emit vapor, a hallmark of comets.

Wikipedia

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm going to go with underwater vulcanism shining through the ice layer.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

FWIW, I am a witness that S.O.'s story was as he describes it (the aliens were first detected by reflections off their structures on Ceres).

He told me about it over a decade ago, this is a freaky coincidence.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Wow. I mean, wow. Not wow in the normal sense of this is cool -- which it is -- but wow in the sense of OMG!

Way, way back in the 80's, when I was attempting to become a science fiction author, one of my short stories included first-contact with a hostile extraterrestrial group. It was one of two stories bought (for $300 each, wow) by Omni Magazine, but then never published as a new editor changed the focus of their fiction strategies.

Here's the strange/freaky part: in the story, we fist discovered the extraterrestrials in the asteroid belt, by seeing sunlight reflecting off their metal structures, on Ceres!

Needless to say, this thread title gave me a bit of a shock this morning.
skepticoverlord the great forteller. Wow indeed

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I guess we will know more on March 6th when the Dawn probe (that took those photos) will be orbiting Ceres.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

I could not help it.

If anyone else had made that claim they would have been torn to shreds with no proof!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

You're laughing now and then march the 6th came...
(and the flow got proven to be true.)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Everyone will be on the edge of their seats come March 6th and nothing will be produced. Will take em months to release em

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Since a very young age-after learning about the asteroid belt in school-I always felt that would be the best place to look for evidence (or left overs) of an advanced race.

One reason is that the asteroid belt might be the remains of planets that were destroyed for whatever reason-and artifacts might be exposed in the belt-like all we would have to do is go there and look.

Another reason is that the asteroid belt may act as a net to trap drifting pieces of old alien spaceraft,probes,etc..

We could just send probes to different points of the asteroid belt to search.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: swanne

It's 'Ripley' ....

Quick.... get a ship over there asap.

Honest I had absolutely nothing to do with it, I'm not there I'm sitting here in Scotland off work with a bug from hell, believe it or not

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: FalcoFan

My rationale, in the story, for an extraterrestrial group setting up an observation post -- that's what it was -- in the asteroid belt, was that it's a great place to hide given all the "junk" floating around.

And the "attack" mentioned in my other story was from the group found on Ceres. The stories were related.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join