It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dangerous and Destructive Mythology of American Exceptionalism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+52 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Greeting cherished readers. Lately, I've found myself being repulsed over the absurdity of various forms of "American Exceptionalism" being expressed by politicians, pundits, and cheerleaders on social media. The latest example of which is the farcical media charade surrounding former NYC Mayor, Rudolph Guliani's suggestion that President Obama does not, "love America." Whether you believe that tidbit of political taunting or not is immaterial; because it has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with the expert manipulation of the public narrative by the oligarchs who now run this nation.

First, lets examine the political ramifications of this preposterous notion of "American Exceptionalism."

The etymology of the term goes back quite far, but was not popularized until the American Communist Party used it their Daily Worker newspaper in January of 1929
History of the Communist Party of the United States

Lovestone sought to buttress his opportunist conclusions by arguing that his theory of American exceptionalism fitted in with and was based upon Lenin's law of the uneven development of capitalism

Isn't that quite the surprise? The terminology bandied about as either political capital or assails, first appeared in political rhetoric as a hallmark of the American Communist Party. I find that rather amusing.

The term fell into obscurity and was rarely seen again, even during the "heady" boom decades of post World War Two. It emerged again in the 1980's as the New York Times revived the term when columnist Richard Tofel urged President Carter and Presidential Candidate Ronald Reagan to embrace it as a distinctive cultural anthem, writing; "As our unquestioned supremacy recedes, we need to decide what 'America' means to us, and what it means to the world." Carter, being pragmatic, was slow to embrace the paean of "American Exceptionalism," and it was political suicide.

It wasn't until the 2008 presidential campaign between John McCain and Barack Obama that the phrase became a sickening crescendo of nonsense. McCain's strategists used the "American Exceptionalism" fiction to counter the similar campaign fiction of Obama's "Hope and Change." McCain opined that the core message of hope and change was admission that America was not exceptional -- and it very nearly worked until the disastrous selection of his running mate.

Ever since the 2008 campaign, "American Exceptionalism" has been an ever-increasing core undertone from politicians and pundits alike. It's a brilliant strategy brought on by the oligarchs controlling both politicians and media (Adelson, Koch, Richetts, Mercer, Singer, Soros, Simons, Bloomberg, Eychaner, etc). It's a serenade of lies intended to lull the populace into believing an idelic fallacy. Because, my co-conspirators, the delusion of exceptionalism is necessary for the oligarchs to maintain their control.
edit on 23-2-2015 by mister.old.school because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Each and every way in which the United States is no longer "exceptional," benefits the oligarchs and corporations that now run the nation.

The United States Has Fallen to 49th in Freedom of The Press
Reporters without Borders

Just a small handful of corporations control over 90% of the mainstream media in the United States. This enables the oligarchs to craft messages that play to the established biases of the divided populace; such that truth and difficult issues may be completely avoided.

A truly free press that pillories the government and its source of political money is antithetical to the goals of the oligarchs.

The United States is 14th in the percentage of 24-34 year-olds with a higher education
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
The United States is 24th in literacy.
Institute of Education Sciences
The United States is 30th in math, and 23rd in science
The Program for International Student Assessment

A well-educated populace is incompatible with a ruling oligarchy. Educated citizens ask questions, demand accountability, and reject ignoble pandering. Politicized changes to education curricula in lower education has been crafted to create non-thinking sluggards unsuited for universities.

The United States ranks 21st in personal freedom
Legatum Institute

In line with the fall of the freedom of the press, the gradual loss of personal freedoms in the post-9/11 United States plays well into the hands of the oligarchs. The long embraced second amendment "rights" are a fairy tale to lull portions of the population to a peaceful slumber of ignorance. Even in the most "gun friendly" states such as Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, etc., there are dozens (sometimes hundreds) of laws and statutes that enable easy confiscation of your weapons for non-criminal and non-violent offenses.

The Affordable Care Act has striped you of many self-determination rights.

Systematic changes to financial laws (MERS for one) have stripped citizens of equal status when negotiating with corporations and financial institutions.

In fact, an entire new topic could be crafted on the erosions of personal freedoms.

The United States Ranks 12th in Economic Freedom
The Heritage Foundation

The economy of the United States has been refined as a mechanism that creates new wealth to fund the ruling oligarchs, while slowly eroding economic opportunity for the working and middle classes. In the same country, in the same year, the frequency of insane T-Rex venture capitalism and the numbers of working poor are both on the rise. It has evolved well beyond simple wage disparity, to a system that inhibits wealth for all but a few.

Indeed, the only attribute in which the United States can claim the moniker of "exceptional" is in the funneling of massive amounts of wealth to the corporations and corporate oligarchs that now control the elections and government.

What we are seeing here is the most colossal of conspiracies, executed with daring audacity right in front of our very eyes. The brazen tactics of unrestricted control of media, politics, governance, and finance have placed a select few in positions of historic power.

My cherished ATS members, is this what you see as well? Might there be any glimmer of hope on which we can tell our children there will be a future?

With record deficit and record poor, how much longer can this continue?

edit on 23-2-2015 by mister.old.school because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Don't ask ME I'm still an exceptional warrior.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mister.old.school

It is attributable to Tocqueville, he referred to the United States as "exceptional".

It has since been distorted in all sorts of directions but, the original meaning was to recognize the unique political elements of our republic, our relatively enlightened civil society and the natural resources of the country itself.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Indeed. For the purpose of brevity, I focused on the popularized use in the last century.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Alexis de Tocqueville?!
A great man (except for his religious zealotry) I haven't thought about since high school.

“America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

He was right about that.

+25 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Don't forget the damage "American Exceptionalism" causes to perception of America and Americans overseas. Us non-Americans find it insulting and little more than a sick joke when Americans yabber on about how much better than the rest of us they are - as if being born on a particular tract of land makes them somehow better than the rest of us.

edit on 23/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I predict that this thread will quickly turn into a bash America thread.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   

I absolutely hate that term. There isn't a more pompous, arrogant, egocentric or just plain conceited term possible for anyone could use. The fact that it's also not true is an embarrassment. Neocons love using it too and it makes me sick when I hear it. It's like some people have never heard of the word humility or humbleness.

American Exceptionalism = Patriotic Masturbation

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I know everybody loves to trot that out and it amuses me.

I've seen quite a few people in Europe, that are convinced their nation is the pinical of western civilization.

This is not a uniquely American problem.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
Don't ask ME I'm still an exceptional warrior.

I feel your pain...I would "kick their doors in" but let's be honest, I would be alone, and most of the public would not support me in this endeavor.... So like many....I wait, vigilantly, and pray the day comes while I am still able.
merika sucks, no balls left on any but a very few of us.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Don't forget the damage "American Exceptionalism" causes to perception of America and Americans overseas. Us non-Americans find it insulting and little more than a sick joke when Americans yabber on about how much better than the rest of us they are - as if being born on a particular tract of land makes them somehow better than the rest of us.

Are you an Aussie? If so we can call it even.

Are you British? If so we can call it even.

Anyone else though...sorry guys but us and our cousins(English speaking that is) are better. We love beer cook outs boobies.... I mean none of you can beat that stuff with anything.

Sorry just keeping it real in the great state of Texas.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

I tell you what it is not American citizens (who doesn't love Hollywood , apps, Micky mouse and mc's apple pie) that are the target of bad mouthing I think that it is the fact many don't like your corporation run Goverment . trust me. I watch the news when Americans protest against something it always turns ugly. USA used to be an example of freedom to protest. etc. I used to like Obama now I see him trying to please the bad guys. I hate that they are pushing him to call Isis Islam it is sad. and so on... trust me also America does not effect me in no way I just dislike they are trying to be the world's police
edit on 23-2-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

I don't think the problem is lack of balls, but lack of brains.

We seem to have more than enough balls, dicks and A-holes in America. It's brains and heart that we're missing.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

seen the documentary ? USA kids are asked where does an egg come from? all kids answer shops make them.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

Are you an Aussie? If so we can call it even.

Are you British? If so we can call it even.

Anyone else though...sorry guys but us and our cousins(English speaking that is) are better. We love beer cook outs boobies.... I mean none of you can beat that stuff with anything.

Sorry just keeping it real in the great state of Texas.

Ummm, not even close mate. While every country has a few dickheads who will get drunk and shout about how good their country is, nowhere is it louder, or more all pervasive, than when it comes from Americans.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I absolutely hate that term. There isn't a more pompous, arrogant, egocentric or just plain conceited term possible for anyone could use. The fact that it's also not true is an embarrassment. Neocons love using it too and it makes me sick when I hear it. It's like some people have never heard of the word humility or humbleness.

American Exceptionalism = Patriotic Masturbation

Quick question.

What country has more states in the top 10 economic powers of the world than any other continent?

What country gas by far the most power overall compared to any continent on earth?

Seems america is very exceptional in many respects.

Ya we are cocky and full of ourselves...... That's what happens when you are actually the guy with the 4 lbs cock.

When america walks it balls clink.

Sorry but it is true.

Not fare..OK

We don't deserve it..I would argue that but still..OK

Stop stroking your own countries manhood.

America is and has been exceptional, for a very long time.

Sorry your country is not even 1/100th as capable at anything in comparison.

America number 1 in every category that matters does kinds seem exceptional does it not?

Number 1 economy.. America
Number 1 military..america

Number 1 navy...america

Number 1 importer.. America

Number 1 exporter of aggression..america

Number 1 importer of foreign labor...america

Number 1 in space achievement.. America

Only nation to set foot on the moon, not to mention many times..america

Saved humanity from itself not once but 2 times in the early 1900s..america

Only country with the balls(or gall, however you see it) to use atomics against other men...america

I Kean we have been excellent in many ways.

Not all for the good, but we did and do surpass all other nations, even all other continents in many respects.

We are truly cut from a different cloth.

Not saying it is better or cleaner or more righteous cloth.

Just different.

Sorry, we got to be us, pompous arrogant full of ourselves... We happily claim this title... Hell we don't even want to apologize for it.

We are GD proud of it.

Just ask us we will tell you, at great length, and in great detail.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Us non-Americans find it insulting and little more than a sick joke when Americans yabber on about how much better than the rest of us they are - as if being born on a particular tract of land makes them somehow better than the rest of us.

I have never encountered this before from Americans. I have seen plenty of people "yabber" on about their personal heritage\culture\country while in America. This is common though and does not bother me personally.

When one uses the phrase "American Exceptionalism" they are not referring to personal exceptionalism and even still i have never actually heard the word spoken except for a few times on telly.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Through the 80's and 90's I lived American Exceptionalism. Land of the free, home of the brave I was taught. We were "free" citizens surrounded by would-be villains waiting to snatch those freedoms away. Eventually, I discovered just what those freedoms cost others around the world and finally the realization that those "freedoms" are very much an illusion.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MimiSia

I tell you what it is not American citizens (who doesn't love Hollywood , apps, Micky mouse and mc's apple pie) that are the target of bad mouthing I think that it is the fact many don't like your corporation run Goverment . trust me. I watch the news when Americans protest against something it always turns ugly. USA used to be an example of freedom to protest. etc. I used to like Obama now I see him trying to please the bad guys. I hate that they are pushing him to call Isis Islam it is sad. and so on... trust me also America does not effect me in no way I just dislike they are trying to be the world's police

America only dawned that cloak after the rest of you guys literally forced us into loosing hundreds of thousands into your wars you forced on us.

After the last one we claimed the mantle of resposibilty, and stopped your further machinations up to this point.

Name once america started a world war that killed hundreds of millions...
I can name 2 tines the rest if you guts did.

We never want anything but fat lazy BBQ and beer weekends.

The test of you guys play your games that escalate out of control and end countries and hundreds of millions.

We get involved early to make sure it is only tens or hundreds of thousands.

Big difference.

The peace has only lasted this long because of american intervention.

Otherwise we would be into WW6 by now.

You guys in the EU keep starting the wars that end millions and attempt to genocide entire races.

Not once has any of that come from this side of the pond...not once.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join