It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 4 Americans think Sun goes around Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Read it and weep folks, people are thinking the sun goes around the earth. . . .

Bwhahahahah how could people be so uneducated in 2015?

Every two years, the National Science Foundation conducts a survey as part of a report called Science and Engineering Indicators that's presented to the president and Congress. In the survey, they ask questions to get an idea of Americans' grasp on basic science. They just did it again, and the results weren't so good. More than 25% answered that the sun revolves around the Earth, less than half said yes to evolution, and only 39% said the universe began with the Big Bang.

edit on 5-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
"less than half said yes to evolution, and only 39% said the universe began with the Big Bang."

This looks promising at least.

But, seriously?

I understand evolution and big bang being iffy.

"If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."
--Charles Darwin, Origin of Species

"irreducible complexity." In simple terms, this idea applies to any system of interacting parts in which the removal of any one part destroys the function of the entire system. An irreducibly complex system, then, requires each and every component to be in place before it will function.
edit on 5-2-2015 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
just the way TPTB like their sheeple, ignorant, docile and easily lead.
Do they not teach this basic stuff in schools anymore or are people just being graduated without learning anything?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Idiocracy was prophetic!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Remember a couple weeks ago when the TV salespeople were discussing if the moon was a planet or a star? How can we expect better if reality shows and other things like "Say Yes to the Dress" are today's equivalent of the Hallmark Hall of Fame presentations.

When was the last time Shakespeare has been presented on a major network in prime time? Well, okay, probably the Hallmark Hall of Fame.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Statistically 9/11 Americans won't get this.

riouz

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
How can this be?

WTF happened to people?

What do we do to remedy this mass stupidity?

edit on 5-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I don't believe this story.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

And these people will most likely breed, a shocking thought and no mistake.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
They should put this question at the top of every voting ballot and summarily eject it if answered incorrectly for being a moron.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is why we can't have nice things and why i always assume anyone i meet is a complete moron
Can we take the warning labels off of things and let it sort itself out yet?..please?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
1/4 doesn't sound so bad...

Until you realise that's over 80million people.

Only if that's consistent across the board of course.

But damn.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It probably doesn't help that throughout history and currently, we say the sun rises in the east and sets in west, sing and write about sunrise and sunset, poems about sunrise/sunset and visually it appears that the sun rises and sets and even our weather reports have sunrise and sunset times. All indications implicate the sun as the mover and shaker. If someone doesn't learn the facts they will believe what they see and hear even though it isn't true.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Perspective is the main threat to knowledge, for good and bad. Ignorance of perceived physics is to blame, yet without a working understanding of one's place in a more grand environment full of forces and laws, it is understandable how one would perceive their center.

Now I will change perspective. As our sun moves around the center of our galaxy, in one orbit, our Earth spends roughly half of that time inside the radius of our sun's galactic orbit; therefore, in another perspective, albeit a reach, our sun does move around our Earth, just in a different way of observing total movement over longer observation from a different vantage. That said, those who said our sun moves around our Earth most likely were not thinking along that path. Several perspectives can draw multiple inferences as one factors in all that is observable.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If you lived on the sun you may have a legitimate argument it does.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I wish that I didn't, but I do. Education is just getting weaker and weaker as schools struggle to fill the void left by lazy parenting.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It's numbers like this that may begin to give you your first clue to the problem.

According to a new report, 47 percent of Detroiters are “functionally illiterate.” The alarming new statistics were released by the Detroit Regional Workforce Fund on Wednesday.

So, I'd say that the problem is likely pervasive and linked to the poor standard of public education. Lucky for us we have Common Core, so pretty soon, every classroom will be standardized to the least common denominator and everyone will be blissfully ignorant. If no one knows there is a problem, then reports like these will cease to be an issue.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I don't believe this story.

1 in 4 Americans probably do.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 5-2-2015 by LionOfGOD because: Too much personal information. You ALMOST got me there, ATS!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is called a geocentric point of view. Not to be confused with STUPID!

a reply to: StoutBroux

edit on 5-2-2015 by ttropia because: Keyboard failure

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join