It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hard To Be A God" will take you to a world of $hi*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Woahhhhh... bring on the darkness, this looks heavy-

In simplest terms—the kind that don’t really account for all that stuff going on in front of the camera—Hard To Be A God is about a scientist, part of a team sent years ago to a distant planet to live among its human-like natives. The planet resembles feudal Europe, only somehow much worse; the observation team was sent there in the hope that they could witness a cultural renaissance firsthand, except that said renaissance never ended up happening. Now, they just live among the locals—he (Leonid Yarmolnik) as Don Rumata, a nobleman in the brutal, decrepit Kingdom Of Arkanar—and meet up once a year to swap stories, get (literally) #-faced drunk, and tear up the empty medieval countryside in their tank. Forbidden from interfering with the planet’s cultural or technological development, they must instead content themselves with watching as its inhabitants repeatedly fail to pull themselves out of a dark age. Hence the title, Hard To Be A God.

The backstory to the film is also interesting. More details in the link. Thought you all might be interested! Probably will need a hug after seeing this one.

A.V. Club - film review

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Looks interesting, but if there's one thing I hate is having to 'read' a movie. If it isn't in English, I won't watch it.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Looks interesting, but if there's one thing I hate is having to 'read' a movie. If it isn't in English, I won't watch it.

I agree somewhat, its very difficult to read and watch whats going on at the same time and if the text appears on white background (which it does on occasion I have to really squint my eyes to see it and by that time its gone). Also if your tv or monitor is pretty far away its a lost cause.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I'm was the same way until I watched the movie City of God (it's a must see) after a while you forget your reading.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I agree, about 10 minutes in it seems natural to read and watch.

So many great movies are missed if you pass on them due to subtitles!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

its hard to be anything except incompetent if all you are doing is sitting around and watching a civilization go to hell. friggin' tourists...
edit on 29-1-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Meh. Watch enough anime and this problem goes away eventually. It's actually really easy to read subtitles and watch a movie if you do it enough.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I just downloaded the ebook.
Damn thing's in Russian.

~sigh~

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I can think up dark thoughts. Here's one, say you want to bring democracy to a country who isn't quite getting it. How do you do it? You get the moral majority to sympathize with that narrative. Is it wrong to give humanity a push? Are the costs to our humanity too great? I mean in the way we are doing it now. I'm on the fence. I'll have to check this movie out. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Just to addto my previous post:

You can do it, its just you need your monitor/tv close enough so as not to subtract from the viewing pleasure!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

Guten Tag- Look for an English dub like they did w/the 2006 classic "Day Watch"

Edit: timed out.. Here is a preview. The actors speak a heavily Russian accented English sans the grammar.

See if this doesn't rate 4 Stars (not for Me, but the movie..)

www.imdb.com...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join