It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Texas consider expanding?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
This thought just hit from way out in left field...LOL.

Perhaps seeing that Texas is leading the way in jobs and resonates with many of us outside the State that connecting states should consider joining Texas!

Oklahoma, New Mexico, perhaps even Arizona and Arkansas. Very similar life-styles, etc..

Old rivalries such as the red river rivalry would continue unabated. Under the circumstances, it would be hard to see how Texas could have improved much more than it has under the federal boot.

This would be done, assuming Texas was willing, via vote within each state.

I could see a couple of areas where Texas could tweek things. For example, I don't have much use for that pocket left-wingers in Austin. I'd recommend moving the State capital elsewhere, perhaps northwards, Lubbock might work.

Texas's weakness is fresh water. It relies heavily on the 'north'. They might consider desalination plants on the gulf as an alternate supply source.

Envision the hue and cry from the left/Feds if this got traction.....

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I say no for 1 reason, the US senate. The loss of red state votes in the senate would be disastrous. I instead vote that all the blue states should join into 1 state.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
It'll scare the Feds and most likely trigger an armed reaction. Subtleties will get lost and drowned out by emotions and an ever fluid situation filled with sabotage and conflicting interests all wanting a piece of the pie. Militia men and those who consider themselves sovereign will get involved. Russia would get involved, start arming the break away region. Mexico would be cutting deals with both sides. Civil War 2
edit on 26-1-2015 by Mehmet666Heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

The same applies to the electoral college votes.

The Feds 'could' be forced into giving those votes to Texas under the threat of legal leaving the union.

Seeing how our senators seem to catch the left-wing virus virtually overnight when they arrive, the senate may not be such a great loss.

Still, you raise a good point. A move of this magnitude pretty well implies a major change in this union. The way things are going, it might very well be necessary.

Even with senate vote losses, we'd maintain congress's majority and grid-lock would be further re-enforced. Perhaps a good thing?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

The same applies to the electoral college votes.

The Feds 'could' be forced into giving those votes to Texas under the threat of legal leaving the union.

Seeing how our senators seem to catch the left-wing virus virtually overnight when they arrive, the senate may not be such a great loss.

Still, you raise a good point. A move of this magnitude pretty well implies a major change in this union. The way things are going, it might very well be necessary.

Even with senate vote losses, we'd maintain congress's majority and grid-lock would be further re-enforced. Perhaps a good thing?

Well, legally, unless the UN got involved and pressured the Fed to allow it, we couldn't leave the union regardless of any vote that took place. (Aside of course a vote by the US House, Senate, and signing by the President) In all reality it would probably lead to a civil war like the other poster said.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

With a little further thought, I suppose underlying this is the growing conviction that the mess we're in is unfixable. Our 'majority' seems unwilling to take the gloves off and fight.

We are in a fight and we are still losing.

The United States of Texas....has an interesting ring to it. Science fiction? Sedition? Just the ramblings of an old man. LOL

I'm off to work. Looking forward to more thoughts on this ridiculous concept......

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

With a little further thought, I suppose underlying this is the growing conviction that the mess we're in is unfixable. Our 'majority' seems unwilling to take the gloves off and fight.

We are in a fight and we are still losing.

The United States of Texas....has an interesting ring to it. Science fiction? Sedition? Just the ramblings of an old man. LOL

I'm off to work. Looking forward to more thoughts on this ridiculous concept......

I would prefer "The Constitutional Republic of Texas", but it's what's in the paperwork that matters, not the name. Our country can be saved, but we the people have to do it. Mandatory education in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution would help lots.
edit on 26-1-2015 by XTexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Mehmet666Heineken

Ouch! I hadn't considered those possibilities.

Still, fear of potential consequence can lead to paralysis and a quiet passing on a death-bed.

The Founding Fathers didn't suffer from that, did they? There would be a price to pay. How much and how bad? I don't know.

I do know we haven't paid enough to right the ship, if it even can be. The will be a price to pay either way.

The question is do we choose that price or is it forced on us down the road?

I don't know the answer to that one....

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   
They should ban fracking. It pollutes the water supply and poisons many. I would gladly pay the previous price for gas if they would. People act like gas and oil is the only thing made from crude. Plastics ect.. hundreds of things made from it. that can be made from other sources. Hemp being the major replacement. More economically feasible for many products uses less water, no pesticides and cleans the environment. Big business that exists lobbies against it because it does not like competition. It wants to own the market. Competition drives prices down so end effect for prices would be close to neutral.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

a reply to: Mehmet666Heineken

Ouch! I hadn't considered those possibilities.

Still, fear of potential consequence can lead to paralysis and a quiet passing on a death-bed.

The Founding Fathers didn't suffer from that, did they? There would be a price to pay. How much and how bad? I don't know.

I do know we haven't paid enough to right the ship, if it even can be. The will be a price to pay either way.

The question is do we choose that price or is it forced on us down the road?

I don't know the answer to that one....

I know where you are coming from. With everything, it starts with education. It seems everything gets stalled and hijacked at this stage. You get labelled as something derogatory and that's that. The people want their realty television and fast food, in general. The global public (except for some cases like Tunisia) are totally paralyzed and I agree. Though in this modern human rights centric era we have one thing on our side that our ancestors would have killed to have: the government can't silence or kill everyone.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Perhaps .... many of us outside the State that connecting states should consider joining Texas!

I could see a couple of areas where Texas could tweek things. For example, ...

And therein lies the problem. Why do people want to move to Texas and change it? Many of us here cite many of our "problems" being people from elsewhere moving here and trying to make Texas like the places they left. It is a pattern that people leave places they do not like, only to make their new home just like the place they left. No thank you.

I am ok with the idea of annexing and then expulsing.... especially if it previously belonged to the Republic. Yellowstone would make a formidable natural weapon [annexed beyond old border, but who will notice when we flood the interwebz with LOLcats?]. Muahahaha!

edit on 26-1-2015 by Volund because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Volund

That's the problem with the people flocking to Texas
They are the worst type of liberals, they leave the cesspool they built go somewhere new and proclaim I know what's best for you poor unenlightened heathens, and proceed to build the cesspool all over again.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The short answer to your questions is "No."
The spirit of Texas cannot be conveyed elsewhere. Unfortunately, Texas will lose its unique identity as the populations of the urban areas swell from the increasing influx of out of staters that have little respect or knowledge of the real meaning of Texas. As a naturalized Texan formerly from Illinois decades ago, I've seen how Chicago controls that whole state. Downstaters there call it the State of Chicago. And they are entirely correct. All of the big cities eventually take control of their states with cronyism, graft, corruption and the many needs they require of state resources because of the poor, crime and infrastructure. Dilution leads to dissolution. As in US foreign policy, you can't farm out the American dream, and you can't ship the heart of Texas to even a neighboring state.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

PHX, AZ is well ahead of any Texas City and is one of the fastest growing States in the US and will NOT give up their seats.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

We did ban fracking.. At least here in Denton, the offically Best Small Town in America 2014...

It stays The Republic of Texas... leave the "United" bit to history.

I love it how Texans are proud Americans but it kinda' comes after being a proud Texan. Traveling out of the country we introduce ourselves as Texans and people recognize and appreciate the difference. There is is some sort of mystique about it. Look at Hollywood and how many times Texas shows up, we are talkin' NYC or LA numbers here. We even got our own "You won't believe what is hidden under Texas" Illumaniti Card Game card. People from Iowa don't generally introduce themselves as Iowaianians, They are American and from Iowa.

That being said, while I love dear Texas, we do have our share of stupid. We were smart enough to keep our electric grid ours, but I think we are best staying connected to America every other way. If Texas was to break away, this ol' boy would have to add my bit to the stupid quota and support my brothers in becoming The Republic, again. But, I can't help but think that I'd still put my hand over my heart and come to the call of Old Glory if she ever needed me. I would hate to witness the series of events that would lead to the seperation, cause I love you guys! Yall are all cool! So, I hope we can end up Allies!

The proverbial "I hope we can still be friends" comes to mind.
edit on 26-1-2015 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Should Texas consider expanding?

No.

The bigger something gets. The harder, and more costly to maintain it.

There is no greater example of this than the US government.

Once it reaches maximum entropy it comes crashing down on top of those who built it.
edit on 26-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I would say it is a bad idea.

The main reason is that it is big as it is, and if one starts joining states together, then sooner or later, someone within the new conglomeration is going to decide that it would be best as its own country. The last time that happened, well it did not turn out so well and still the echos are coming forth even today. I would say if anything, that the different states need to remain that, different. Even the first lady, Lady Bird Johnson, wanted each state to have its own feel, and look, not to be the same.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Everyone knows Oklahoma is just Occupied North Texas anyway. Might as well make it legal.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
No thanks. Would only consider OK; and LA only as a possibility. AR is still too much of a tossup and NM is too Blue and leftist. It's bad enough people from Cali and up east moving here and bringing their leftist ideology with them. Dallas and Austin are very Blue areas. that's more than enough in my opinion.

There isn't any other state with the attitude and swagger that really deserves to be called Texas. Unhinge the Right leanings of this great state and next thing you know leftist politicians will want a full time legislature creating a whole bunch of oppressive and unneeded laws ruining the Texas lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Volund

Hmm, they were just thoughts. You don't think a serious water shortage is down the road?

Of course, Texas is perfect! Hell, if you don't like the idea so be it. The Austin part was tongue in cheek...at least in part.

In case you didn't notice things change. Like it or not. The Texas I know from 20-30 years ago sure isn't the Texas of today.

I'm thinking in futures, of survival of ideals. A little water wouldn't rain on your parade...
...Unless, of course, your parade would be rained on....

There's no going back....like it or not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join