It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘American Sniper’ Complaints Grow in Hollywood: Should Clint Eastwood Be Celebrating a ‘Killer

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Tangerine

that is a false assumption. the military has standards and it is clear you are just guessing here. the answer is out there if you care to search for it rather than to fuel a known liar.

Geeze.. another person talking b.s.
They do NOT chexk for sociopathy. I know this. This was my major. I dare you to find me an article or evidence they screen for sociopathy or it excludes candidates. You know nothing about sociopathy. Its not something they look for. Apparently you dont know what it actually means.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Answer

Firstly, I did not bold any of your sentences. Those are my sentences addressing your previous post. Even the slightest bit of reading comprehension would have made that obvious.

Secondly, I'm going to go ahead and assume you've never met a SEAL or SF type in your life. If you have, you certainly haven't spent any time around that person. Everything you're saying smacks of ignorance and it seems like you've formed your opinion based on works of fiction.

SEALs are trained to sneak up and slit the throats of women, children, and old people? Are you serious? SEAls are not "covert assassins", they're highly-trained warriors who are trained to carry out combat operations, not assassinations.

I guarantee that I have more knowledge of the training that SEALs and SF types go through than you do and you're completely full of crap. You're speaking about a subject on which you're not qualified to comment and I suspect you're only doing it to get a rise out of others. There's a difference between opinions and lies. You're posting the latter.

My mistake. Those were not my sentences, they were yours. However, by interspersing your comments within my post it created the impression that I had said those things and you had bolded them for emphasis.

I doubt anyone but you made that mistake.

I have known a number of SEALs and have spent considerable time with them. I have also watched them complete Basic Underwater Demolition training (commonly known as BUDs). Among other things, SEALs absolutely are trained to be covert assassins. I guess you didn't hear about them taking out Bin Laden. They are also trained to do extractions, gather intelligence, etc.. SEALs are trained to do whatever they have to do to complete a mission and many of their missions are in violation of the so-called rules of war and military code of conduct. That's one of the reasons most of their missions remain secret after completion.

The word I want to use would be converted to 8 asterisks so I'll just say: you're full of it. You've "watched" them go through all 6 months of BUDs? By "watch" do you mean that you live near Coronado and you've seen them on the beach a few times? BUDs is the basic training of the SEALs and reveals very little about the extent of their training. They are not trained to be assassins. Assassins are murderers. Murderers commit unlawful killings. Learn the definition of "murderer" and "assassin" before you use those words to describe people. Most of their missions are classified because it would give away too many details make them vulnerable in the future or it would expose U.S. intel tactics. You seem to think that real life is like the movies. It's not.

Apparently, you are unaware of the rather infamous case involving SEAL, and later Senator, Bob Kerrey and a raid on a small Vietnamese village. In order to get into the village unannounced, they "took out" an old man and a child in one of the outlying huts by slitting their throats to maintain silence. Suffice it to say that all the villagers except for one who escaped into the jungle ended up in pile in the middle of the village--civilians all.

I am familiar with that raid. It was an NVA/Vietcong-controlled village. There are mixed stories about what happened, from the people who were actually there, and they seem to be in conflict about the "throat slitting" incident, whether children were involved or not. Furthermore, the civilians in the village should have been in their beds or hidden in the "bunkers" dug inside the village (yes, there were bunkers for the civilians in the village). Instead, the civilians were all huddled into the center of the village... The likely scenario is that the Vietcong huddled the civilians there and either killed them ahead of the attack or intentionally drew fire so that the SEALs would kill the women and children. If you don't think this sort of thing happened all the time in Vietnam, you're naive.

If you think this sort of thing doesn't happen, you are not knowledgable about SEALs.

Your assertion was that they are trained to slit the throats of women, children, and old men. Still a lie. If true, Operation Redwing would not have gone tits up resulting in 19 dead and Marcus Luttrell shot to pieces.

edit on 1/23/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: Answer

If he interviewed kyle.. then thats where he got the stories
If they were false there would be lawsuits. I think thats obvious. NO ONE BUT POSTERS HERE HAVE REFUTED THE CLAIMS FOR A REASON. THEY ARE TRUE.

Your reading comprehension is atrocious.

Mooney's own words say "There's a story about Kyle..." and "I asked him about this story..."

There haven't been lawsuits because Chris Kyle is dead and I'm sure Taya Kyle would prefer just to get past all the lawsuits and move on with her life.

You're incredibly intellectually dishonest. I've proved that you're wrong and you gloss right over it. Obviously you failed to read the article to which I linked.
edit on 1/23/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Oh and those are just the three instances I chose there are 4 or 5 other well known lies and disturbing quotes from kyle.

Which well-known lies are those?

Care to post more of your own lies for us to debunk? Please keep going so I can properly refute those as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
ATTENTION!

This thread is being closed in order to allow people participating in the thread time to calm down and cool off.

Once that time has passed and the thread is reopened, we expect people to stay on topic. No more discussing each other, and to remain civil in their posts.

Thread Closed.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This thread had been reopened...

Word of warning to all who wish to continue discussion in this thread:

Insults, name calling and being rude to other members will NOT be tolerated.

If you feel angry about a post that violates the TCs, ALERT IT. Do NOT respond to it.

IF you feel the need to call someone an insulting name: WALK AWAY.

IF you feel the need to post a rude comment: WALK AWAY.

We understand that certain topics will have members with very strong feelings about it. This is fine and of course we are all human.

However, having a strong opinion or feeling about something does NOT give anyone the right to post against the TCs. Take a break. Take a walk, or if need be alert the staff to the post if it violates the TCs.

Remain on topic. Discuss the OP of the thread.

NOT EACH OTHER.

Here are some helpful links:

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette

Please Stay On Topic

Anymore insults, name calling, rudeness and off topic posts will result in an automatic post ban of those members.

Do not reply to this post.
edit on 1/25/2015 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I just got finished watching the film and it did not come across to me as any rah-rah, pro-Iraq war, jingoistic, movie. Nor did I find it to have overly patriotic themes or imagery (except maybe the actual footage used during the credits).

It was a rather sobering film and reminded somewhat of Coming Home or Heroes.

edit on 25-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

If he interviewed kyle.. then thats where he got the stories
If they were false there would be lawsuits. I think thats obvious. NO ONE BUT POSTERS HERE HAVE REFUTED THE CLAIMS FOR A REASON. THEY ARE TRUE.

Your reading comprehension is atrocious.

Mooney's own words say "There's a story about Kyle..." and "I asked him about this story..."

There haven't been lawsuits because Chris Kyle is dead and I'm sure Taya Kyle would prefer just to get past all the lawsuits and move on with her life.

You're incredibly intellectually dishonest. I've proved that you're wrong and you gloss right over it. Obviously you failed to read the article to which I linked.

My reading comprehension is superb and I'm not being dishonest. Ironically it is your rwading comprehension that is lacking. If you reread my comment I was suggesting that there likely WOULD be further lawsuits if the stories kyle told were fabrications by the author. If he made up the claims about katrina and the carjacking he would likely be sued by the wife. Also there was a lawsuit about his lie over the Ventura debacle that Kyle's family lost.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

If you are part of the Nazi or ashkeNAZI party yes. Edomites and Sodomites are blood thirsty and believe in sacrifice.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
What I find funny, is that most people who want to discuss/criticize War and everything to do with Wars etc, are people who were never in the military and will never understand firsthand what these soldiers did or went through while in combat.

War is hell. Bad things happen in them. Is it really so surprising to some people? Its not some revelation. Wars have been going on on this planet long before this current generation of people were even around. It'll continue when this generation is gone. Humans are a War race. Its what we do. Nothing will change that fact.
edit on 26-1-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I feel like this movie did more to show the tolls of going to war. Raise an awareness that while you may not agree with what's been going on, others do and it can really ruin people. I've had many friends take their lives because of things like this. Yes, we chose to do the job. Yes, we believe that it is necessary to do it. Just because we don't believe like you, doesn't make us wrong. People not believing in the same ideals is as old as human life. I think the movie should be seen as more of a look inside the life of someone who believed in what he was doing for his country and the toll it took on him and eventually his life. This touting of, "celebrating a killer" is just people with different beliefs not getting what the main point of the movie was.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I know I am a little late into this thread.

I have no watched the movie yet.

But i have read the book.

Now I know some of you might not like me saying this but in the book Chris Kyle come across like a total D##k, just wondering if its the same in the movie because if so i could understand the complaints.

EDIT: I should say just for the record that I have also seen him interviewed and he seems like a nicer guy than in his book.
edit on 31-1-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I saw the film. I try to judge films by how well they work as films. I would say this one was middling good--definitely not a great film. It was a portrait of a two-dimensional cardboard figure and that is not interesting. The man in "Hurt Locker" was interesting. The men in "Platoon" were interesting. The men in "Apocalypse Now" and "Deer Hunter" were interesting. The character of Kyle (to distinguish him from a real, multi-faceted human being) was not interesting. He was an efficient killer (yawn) . Had he been portrayed as a sociopathic killer, he would have been more interesting. Had he been portrayed as a reluctant killer, he would have been more interesting. Had he been portrayed as a gung-ho, knife-in-his-teeth, blood-drinking killer, he would have been more interesting. If he had been portrayed as a man destroyed by war, he would have been interesting. Billy Muny, another Eastwood character, was also a stoic killer, but he was multi-dimensional and interesting. I honestly don't know what Eastwood was thinking. This was like watching paint dry with an old TV shoot-em-up western playing in the background.

edit on 31-1-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's only a movie. Get off your high horse Hollywood. No one cares for your opinion. Take notes what sells so maybe your bitter ass can make a good movie. Leave the politics to someone people respect.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Michelle Obama just stood up for him I hear

can't find the link right now

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It seems you can't criticize or question Kyle's story without being attacked and called unpatriotic. Lately I feel like we're in the same atmosphere we were after 9/11. That got us the Patriot Act.
edit on 1/31/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It seems you can't criticize or question Kyle's story without being attacked and called unpatriotic. Lately I feel like we're in the same atmosphere we were after 9/11. That got us the Patriot Act.

Because actors are the diplomats of our time . I would much rather them be critical of the reason why we were there in the first place. Then maybe real change can be had. Kyle enlisted on his own free will but didn't pull the strings as to why he was there. You have to obey orders. I don't blame him for sniping. I do have my thoughts on his character but who am I to judge. A couple lies to sell a book. You still can't take away his service.

I want the war pigs in the limelight.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I agree with you, but don't stop criticizing.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Good. Someomne who has read it. In the movie he comes off as emotional and regretdul and wanting to come home. Is that true in the book because I heard in the book he says hed fo back in an instance ans enjoyed killing.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Good. Someomne who has read it. In the movie he comes off as emotional and regretdul and wanting to come home. Is that true in the book because I heard in the book he says hed fo back in an instance ans enjoyed killing.

I saw the film and must have missed that. There's about 10 seconds when he calls his wife and says he's ready to come home. At no point did I see him being really emotional and he absolutely was not regretful. He was like a two-dimensional cardboard cutout.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join