It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Supreme Court to Take on Gay Marriage

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is so sad. Why are people so hellbent on not letting others have equality. It's almost as if they're possessed.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Annee
This could get interesting. I'd start a new thread if I was in a position to monitor it.

The STATE Supreme Court of Alabama just trumped the FEDERAL judges decision. Declaring a ban on all same sex marriages.

The SHOCK !!!

Now What?

edit on Mar-03-2015 by xuenchen because: [::_/::] ** ...---... **

Heck if I know.

State slapping Federals hands. I'm not betting on state.

edit on 3-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

This could get interesting. I'd start a new thread if I was in a position to monitor it.

The STATE Supreme Court of Alabama just trumped the FEDERAL judges decision. Declaring a ban on all same sex marriages.

The SHOCK !!!

Now What?

Trials for treason in trampling the US Constitution by judicial fiat?

That'd be a start.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The SHOCK !!!

Now What?

Trials for treason in trampling the US Constitution by judicial fiat?

That'd be a start.

Want to hear the funny part? Roy Moore recused himself.

I'm sure it's intentionally part of the plan. But, what a sorry excuse for a judge.
edit on 3-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Alabama does have a history of picking the wrong side and wrong time to try to enforce a "States Rights" issue.

The US Constitution is unrelentingly clear that State laws are subordinate to Federal laws.

Marriage is a contract; contracts cannot be available only to certain citizens under due process of law.

38 OTHER states have realized this, but Alabama seemingly has the need to attract the worst kind of national and world attention to itself.

Were I a business owner in AL, I would be very very upset at making my business look like it was operating in a State locked in the mid-19th century.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Alabama does have a history of picking the wrong side and wrong time to try to enforce a "States Rights" issue.

The US Constitution is unrelentingly clear that State laws are subordinate to Federal laws.

Marriage is a contract; contracts cannot be available only to certain citizens under due process of law.

38 OTHER states have realized this, but Alabama seemingly has the need to attract the worst kind of national and world attention to itself.

Were I a business owner in AL, I would be very very upset at making my business look like it was operating in a State locked in the mid-19th century.

Oh I know. I've been reading up.

Plenty of Alabamans are very embarrassed by another "mark" of ignorance on their state.

How sad that ALL 6 Supreme Court STATE judges did this. Roy Moore recused himself and one other judge, 100% in favor, declined only because he said it wasn't legal.

No justices will be doing anything illegal by continuing giving out marriage licenses under Federal law.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I wonder how quickly these Justices would be impeached if all Federal funds were cut to Alabama oh, say ... right now.

No, that'd probably mean refugees coming across the border into Georgia ... so scratch that.

Seriously, if it were not for the effect on the common everyday American, I'd like to see what one of these "standoffs" against the Federal Government would really get a State.

Always a fine line between States' Rights and Rebellion.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is going to court next month! When I started this thread, it seemed so far away, but it's almost upon us.

And now, businesses have signed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of marriage equality.

Businesses Back Marriage Equality

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Big business rallied behind the gay marriage cause on Thursday as the U.S. Supreme Court scheduled oral arguments for April 28 on the contentious social issue that promises to yield one of the justices' most important rulings of 2015.

A total of 379 businesses and groups representing employers across various sectors, including Google Inc, American Airlines Group Inc, Goldman Sachs Group Incand Johnson & Johnson, have signed on to a friend-of-the-court brief in support of gay marriage due to be filed later on Thursday.
"Allowing same-sex couples to marry improves employee morale and productivity, reduces uncertainty, and removes the wasteful administrative burdens imposed by the current disparity of state law treatment," the brief says.

Thomson Reuters Corp , which owns Reuters news, also signed on to the brief.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Now watch, the Republicans, who have been so against Same Sex Marriage, a good majority of them are going to change their tunes and start coming out in favor of such, as will many states that are wanting to ban such, this after a major donor to the RNC came out in favor of such.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Wow! I didn't know David Koch signed it. I wonder if he'll have any impact on the conservative judges' decisions...

There are only 13 states left to join the party!
edit on 3/5/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Wow! I didn't know David Koch signed it. I wonder if he'll have any impact on the conservative judges' decisions...

There are only 13 states left to join the party!

Big money does have power.

This issue is such an unnecesary distraction from focusing on what this government should be focusing on.

The USSC needs to end this nonsense. And include LGBT as a federally protected minority from discrimination.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Personally I'd like to see Natonal Guard tanks roll into Alabama and haul these judges to jail.

But, of course, that is not a good idea, especially since what these judges have done will go against them in the long run. Some things just have to be played out.

"Does the (Alabama) court have the power to do this? Yes," the professor said. "Was it wise for the court to exercise its power this way? I'd say no. ... This is just not a standard kind of move in the inter-relationship between state and federal courts."

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 5-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Personally I'd like to see Natonal Guard tanks roll into Alabama and haul these judges to jail.

George Takei and his husband have given AL a one-finger salute... and a LOT of people are following suit.

Source

edit on 3/5/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

George Takei and his husband have given AL a one-finger salute... and a LOT of people are following suit.

Source

Awesome!

The USSC declaring National Marriage equality will be a good enough one finger salute for me.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Not sure, but I just read today that 300 GOP (Republican) lawmakers just signed off on endorsing such. And there is one little detail that they do not want people to know about: The number of LGBT persons are growing, the number of die-hard evangelicals are decreasing. And like most people, if they do not like where they are living they move. Now if they more to say the bigger states that accept same sex marriage and the LGBT communty that means, say the state of California would get more seats in the house of Reps, having a greater impact on the USA.

In short most states can no longer afford that at all, and are starting to realize, alienating a segment of the population may have adverse long term harm.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

That makes a hell of a lot of sense! I was wondering what was in the GOP water that's making them switch their positions... They don't want to be outnumbered by LGBT people and their allies, who are growing all the time. They know they'll be left in the dust.

I'm not fooled into thinking that they really ARE changing their minds. They're saying whatever they need to say to get votes (power).

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

In short most states can no longer afford that at all, and are starting to realize, alienating a segment of the population may have adverse long term harm.

Also, the south has been building and promoting corporate complexes. "Bring your corporations to us".

California has been losing corporations because of high taxes, environmental laws, etc.

Money will win.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
New one:

BREAKING: Discriminatory H.B.56 Passes Alabama House Judiciary Committee March 5, 2015 by Hubert Tate, Press Secretary, Project One America.

Today, Alabama’s House Judiciary Committee advanced H.B. 56, which allows probate judges and public officials to cite a religious reason for denying marriage licenses, putting interfaith couples, interracial couples, same-sex couples and unions where one partner is a divorcee at risk. HRC Alabama strongly condemns the legislation, which opens the door to a wave of lawsuits.
www.hrc.org...

Which goes nicely with Sneaky Homophobic Laws:

WATCH: A Field Guide for Identifying Sneaky, Homophobic Laws
Nice civil rights you've got there. Sure would be a shame if something happened to them.

While LGBT Americans are busy celebrating the spread of marriage equality, homophobic lawmakers have yet another trick up their sleeve. A new trend hitting legislatures across the country: sneaky laws that erode civil rights for LGBT citzens without ever actually mentioning LGBT people, or even same-sex marriage. It's a clever strategic move, since it would be unconstitutional to call out gays and lesbians specifically in a law that revokes civil rights. So anti-equality politicians have figured out how to cleverly word new laws that still manage to target sexual orientation for discrimination. www.advocate.com...

edit on 6-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

And now, temporarily, at least, an appeals court allows Nebraska gay marriage ban to stand.

Source

A federal appeals court on Thursday allowed Nebraska's ban on gay marriage to stay in place, blocking a federal judge's order for the state to begin recognizing gay marriages and civil unions.

The decision by the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals means that Nebraska's ban will continue until an appeal in the case is decided. Had the appeals court denied the request, Nebraska would have been ordered to recognize gay marriages and civil unions starting Monday.

Man, they're fighting tooth and nail for discrimination... which I knew would happen. But it's just a matter of time...

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I don't think that will hold water when put up against the 14th amendment. If someone can decide to discriminate, it's not equal protection under the law.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join