It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Supreme Court to Take on Gay Marriage

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: Annee

And now, temporarily, at least, an appeals court allows Nebraska gay marriage ban to stand.

Source

A federal appeals court on Thursday allowed Nebraska's ban on gay marriage to stay in place, blocking a federal judge's order for the state to begin recognizing gay marriages and civil unions.

The decision by the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals means that Nebraska's ban will continue until an appeal in the case is decided. Had the appeals court denied the request, Nebraska would have been ordered to recognize gay marriages and civil unions starting Monday.

Man, they're fighting tooth and nail for discrimination... which I knew would happen. But it's just a matter of time...

Yeah, I've been following that one too.

All I can say at this point is: "The USSC better not screw this up".

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I don't think that will hold water when put up against the 14th amendment. If someone can decide to discriminate, it's not equal protection under the law.

I honestly believe they threw Hobby Lobby a bone because the religious right has not been able to make any of their discrimination crap stick.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Old saying: Follow the money. if the biggest donor to the party comes out in favor of an issue, the party quickly will follow suit. And since one of the Koch brothers came out in favor of Same Sex Marriage less than a month ago, is it any surprise that the GOP is now coming out in favor of such?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yes that is true, but do you honestly think that social and local politics will not play into that? Think about it, many of the companies in California, employed people, a percent would be gay and chances are married to their partner. It takes time to train a person to get a good skill set, and if they are valuable to the organization, it would play into do you move to a state and lose a valuable asset to your competitor or do you chose to keep the asset and move to where they would be able to live without problems. And ultimately, states like Alabama, may find out, that it could be a losing proposition as many of the LGBT community could move south to say Florida and thus they start to hurt in more ways than one.

And most states like tourist, just not getting the label of being a hate state. Take Kansas for example. Nice state, has a lot of history, and a colorful culture. But ask any one in say, Europe, and care to guess what Kansas is know for? Good Reps are hard to come by, but bad ones get known the world around.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is not cool They keep pushing the gay agenda but majority of the population is straight! I can't stand gays so annoying. Check this article out about the gay agenda www.savethemales.ca... fight these people talking to the straight people not the gays or the gay agenda shills.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Usaasux
This is not cool They keep pushing the gay agenda but majority of the population is straight! I can't stand gays so annoying. Check this article out about the gay agenda www.savethemales.ca... fight these people talking to the straight people not the gays or the gay agenda shills.

Right.

I'm gonna take the opinion of Henry Macow. Not.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
So because the "majority" is straight that means gays should not have equal rights? Doesn't sound like "Liberty and Justice for all" to me.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
So because the "majority" is straight that means gays should not have equal rights? Doesn't sound like "Liberty and Justice for all" to me.

Also unconstitutional.

America is not a democracy.

(post by Usaasux removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Rights Groups Seek to Resolve Alabama Marriage Question

A coalition of civil rights groups is seeking to resolve the question of same-sex marriage in Alabama, seeking class action status for a marriage equality suit brought by five couples and an order for all probate judges in the state to issue licenses to same-sex couples.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, and the Southern Poverty Law Center filed the motion in U.S. District Court in Mobile Friday, three days after the Alabama Supreme Court halted same-sex marriages in the state.

“If Alabama officials thought we were going to sit back and allow them to deny same-sex couples their constitutional right to marry, they thought wrong,” said Ayesha N. Khan, legal director of Americans United, in a press release. “We are going to fight for these couples.”

www.advocate.com...

edit on 8-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Anyone could have seen that coming. It was just a matter of time and it certainly didn't take long.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Anyone could have seen that coming. It was just a matter of time and it certainly didn't take long.

Yep.

I was more curious who and how. Those four are a very powerful group.

These bible states are really making themselves look bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Oh Geeze! Feel free to make a thread if you want. I'm not in a position to do it at this time.

The USSC better make marriage equality Federal. It's getting ridiculous.

Oklahoma Advances Bill to End Government Role in Marriage

The lawmaker behind the bill says some public officials are uncomfortable with issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, so he wants to take them out of the process.

www.advocate.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Here's one the South is not going to win.

Alabama Governor: Marriage Equality Bad for Children

Attorneys for the governor make that specious argument in a friend of the court brief for the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court case. BY TRUDY RINGMARCH 18 2015

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley As the battle over marriage equality continues in Alabama, the state has submitted a friend of the court brief in the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court case making the tired and unfounded argument that same-sex marriage harms children. The brief, submitted Tuesday by lawyers for Gov. Robert Bentley, "said marriage is a natural reality and that same-sex marriage destroys the ‘rights of children to be connected to their biological parents,’”

www.advocate.com...
edit on 18-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The barriers to marriage equality continue to drop. The US Commonwealth of Puerto Rico has dropped their ban. More US citizens will be permitted to marry.

Puerto Rico Drops Ban on Gay Marriage

Justice Secretary Cesar Miranda said at a news conference that the Puerto Rican justice department would no longer oppose a suit challenging the constitutionality of the socially conservative island's ban.

"Our constitutional system does not allow discriminatory distinctions such as that contained in the Civil Code concerning the rights of same-sex couples," Gov. Alejandro Garcia Padilla said in a statement posted to his office's website. "Everyone knows my religious beliefs, but it is not for political leaders to impose our beliefs. We must push for progress in civil and human rights for all citizens equally. As Governor of Puerto Rico, that's my duty."

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Guam Lifts Ban on Gay Marriage

HAGATNA, Guam — Guam's attorney general on Wednesday directed officials to immediately begin processing same-sex-marriage applications, putting the island on course to be the first U.S. territory to allow gay marriage.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Usaasux

Guess what?

Men aren't the majority either.

Guess you don't need rights.

Agenda pusher.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The 28th has come and gone and the court case came and was heard. The oral arguments were interesting as was the justices questions to the lawyers. Did anyone else read or hear such and what all did you think about such?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
The 28th has come and gone and the court case came and was heard. The oral arguments were interesting as was the justices questions to the lawyers. Did anyone else read or hear such and what all did you think about such?

There are several cases combined. Each side presented their arguments.

I have been reading opinion pieces. No one really knows what the ruling will finally be.

Ruling expected end of June.

edit on 30-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Personally just strike marriage for all and remove it from the gov jurisdiction, also remove any tax bonuses. You should not get a discount on taxes for marriage.

The only thing the gov should do is enforce that a civil union presided by a judge meets all contractual obligations that a marriage would. So items like insurance, work benefits and such would be allowed to both parties whether you call it a marriage or civil union.

edit on 4/30/2015 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join