It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Is Being Offended A Personal Choice?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm curious of the perspectives of ATS members on the subject of being "offended."

Here are some recent scenarios:

* 12 people were murdered at the Charlie Hebdo magazine offices in Paris. The apparent reason - Islamic radicals were "offended" by cartoons.

* Students at Smith College were "offended" because the President of the college sent out an email saying "all lives matter."

* Members of the NYPD were "offended" by comments made by Mayor De Blasio and turned their back on him at funerals.

So here's the question:

Do you believe being offended is a personal choice based on what you choose to believe?

And if so, what justification is there for wanting people change their behaviors so that you don't upset yourself with your own beliefs?

edit on 8-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
No...

If I make an intentionally offensive statement about Cancer or Rape how can a person choose which emotional response that will invoke?

That's like saying you can choose to find something funny, or upsetting...
Or you can choose what angers you...

If it's a meaningless statement of course it can be a choice...

But your generalisations on the "taking offence" hypothesis I have explained are flawed numerous times.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Being offended is a reaction. Whatever you decide to do because of it, that is a choice.

Edit: For second question.

People get offended all the time and they should shield themselves for it, because nobody is responsible for another mans reaction, the emotions you feel are very personal, and feeling offended almost always is a negative emotion and can lead to very negative consequences.

So getting offended should be a crime or something.

edit on 1/8/2015 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You may or may not "choose" your emotional response to something, but your actions taken in response to being "offended" are 1000% your choice.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Psychologists will tell you --- correctly --- that no one can MAKE you feel anything. Only you have the power to do that. So, yes. To a large degree, it is your choice, or at least you are the initiator of any emotional response you may have to any stimuli, including being offended. These responses can be deeply ingrained or programmed but at the end of the day they begin and end with the individual.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

It absolutely is, in my opinion. You can call me any name in the book, insult my goddess, whatever but I wont get offended. I could care less. Words are wind. I just think that people have issues with controlling their emotional state of mind. When they see something they deem offensive, that proverbial switch is flipped and all hell breaks loose. So in my opinion, its a matter of self control.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Being offended is a reaction to your sense abilities. You choose some of them but not all. So the answer is yes and no.
Clear as mud right?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The "Selective Outrage" is rampant here.

It's the price of self annoighted enlightenment.

Some here try to install themselves as, above the rest of us mouth breathers.

They are also the people that self loath...it's really fun to watch.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
No...

If I make an intentionally offensive statement about Cancer or Rape how can a person choose which emotional response that will invoke?

That's like saying you can choose to find something funny, or upsetting...
Or you can choose what angers you...

If it's a meaningless statement of course it can be a choice...

But your generalisations on the "taking offence" hypothesis I have explained are flawed numerous times.

You've failed to explain on each of the numerous times how you determine the meaning of a statement.

Can you give me an example of how somebody can be offended without having beliefs about something?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Being offended is a reaction to your sense abilities. You choose some of them but not all. So the answer is yes and no.
Clear as mud right?

Can you give an example of how a person can be offended without having a belief about something?

link   
a reply to: Jamie1 I can't remember the last time I was offended. I don't have a religion you could offend, I'm reasonably thick skinned. I very much doubt you could offend me on ats. I'm a very polite individual in real life and kind of expect the same from others. If people want to go around being offensive that's up to them. It won't get them far in life and is likely to alienate a lot of people from their lives. Life's much better for everyone if you try to be polite and nice in your dealings on the whole. Why would you want to offend?

link   
We all live in our own brains. Words carry meaning, but not emotion. The emotion is a result of your own brain chemistry. No word, or combination of words can forcibly illicit an emotional response in a person. It's all subjective. That said, there are societal pressures that constantly remind people they SHOULD be offended if someone makes a rape joke, or jew joke, or any other number of crude things. But the joke itself carries no emotion. You determine the feeling you get from someone's word, either consciously or subconsciously.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sinter Klaas
Being offended is a reaction. Whatever you decide to do because of it, that is a choice.

Edit: For second question.

People get offended all the time and they should shield themselves for it, because nobody is responsible for another mans reaction, the emotions you feel are very personal, and feeling offended almost always is a negative emotion and can lead to very negative consequences.

So getting offended should be a crime or something.

Can the reaction happen without having a belief about something?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Members of the NYPD did not kill anyone.
Students at Smith College did not kill anyone.
Islamic radicals______________________.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes
You may or may not "choose" your emotional response to something, but your actions taken in response to being "offended" are 1000% your choice.

What determines your emotional response if it's not a choice?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Being offended is not a choice, it is a passive response to stimuli.

Taking offense is a choice, it is an active response to stimuli.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Jamie1 I can't remember the last time I was offended. I don't have a religion you could offend, I'm reasonably thick skinned. I very much doubt you could offend me on ats. I'm a very polite individual in real life and kind of expect the same from others. If people want to go around being offensive that's up to them. It won't get them far in life and is likely to alienate a lot of people from their lives. Life's much better for everyone if you try to be polite and nice in your dealings on the whole. Why would you want to offend?

Everybody uses the term "thick skinned." But it's not really your skin that's thick. What is it about your thought process that makes it impossible to offend you?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
People have every right to be offended by cartoons, emails or comments by politicians. They can also want people to change their behaviour as much as they want.
However that does not mean anyone else has agree with them or even be concerned that they are offended.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

If I'm in a conversation with someone who has Cancer or has been Raped, & I derogatorily lambaste them in such a subject...

Tell me how they choose to be offended?

Or a child abuse victim, or domestic abuse?

They may seem like extreme examples but they a poignant to the topic.

If you didn't generalise all offences then I wouldn't debate you on it...
But you have, claiming it's always personal responsibility.

I agree with Sinter, how one reacts to offence is a choice, unless someone has mental health issues...
But to be offended isn't a choice when we can't control our emotions.

& anyone who claims they can control their emotions at all times must be Buddha reaching Nirvana.
edit on 8-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Being "Offended" is now a way for cultural-units to brand themselves.

"Offended" is a zombie-shibboleth.

edit on 8-1-2015 by Bybyots because: P.S. Don't even think of using "Zombie-Shibboleth" as your band name; it's taken.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join