It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Active Shooter at VA Clinic near William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The active shooter is reported by El Paso police to be in the VA clinic near the medical center, but the entire area is on lockdown. Police are just now responding, picture below is just now coming over Twitter.

Via KFOX 14 in El Paso: "The El Paso Police Department is working with Fort Bliss officials after reports of an active shooting at the VA clinic near William Beaumont Army Medical Center."
www.kfoxtv.com... vF-k8
edit on 6-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I wonder if this will be another "work related" shooting? *wink*
Keep us posted!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Just to clarify the shooting is said to be happening next to the Army Medical Center at a VA Clinic. I work in Contract Law with the VA in Texas and haven't seen anything come up in our emails about this, must be currently developing.

Hoping things turn out ok for all involved. Not to get too off topic, but I gotta mention I shake my head every time I walk by the no weapons, firearms, or knives sign at my office... We all know a sign stops a criminal (and this IS Texas)...

Thanks for the heads up on this breaking news though!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It just popped up on my CNN alerter.

Skeptic beat CNN by 18 minutes...lol

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

One of the many reasons why I am so glad I dove into the ATS wormhole...

Still no updates from work here - surprising that they haven't sent out any emails or heads up to us (I'm in North Texas but have colleagues in El Paso)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The Washington Post Twitter feed is reporting that the Army is actively searching for the suspect right now.

Still no word on injuries.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

A spokesman for the center said he had no information on casualties or arrests, but the entire hospital complex and its adjacent veterans' hospital were placed on lockdown.

Parts of Fort Bliss were placed on lockdown, though the medical center and the veterans hospital are physically separated.

When asked if the incident resembled two separate shootings at Fort Hood, which left 13 dead in 2009 and four dead in 2014, a spokesman for Fort Bliss told Fox News, "oh, no, no, no ... nothing like that at all"

www.foxnews.com...

They say there will be a press conference at 7 pm EST.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

EL PASO,
Texas -- CNN is reporting that two people are
hurt and the suspected shooter has a self-inflicted wound.

According to CNN, officials say the situation has been resolved.

Story

CNN
edit on 6-1-2015 by oletimer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Here are my guesses here.

More likely: Active shooter is a vet suffering from some sort of mental break down and targeted the VA for ignoring his treatment for years and years.

Less Likely: A calculated terrorist attack.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

More likely: Active shooter is a vet suffering from some sort of mental break down and targeted the VA for ignoring his treatment for years and years.

Less Likely: A calculated terrorist attack.

And will immediately be used as a reason for more gun control........intead of the state of the mental health available for people in the US including Vets......

Sad situation, I hope everyone survives......prayers and thoughts

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

And will immediately be used as a reason for more gun control........intead of the state of the mental health available for people in the US including Vets......

How about both things? Gun gontrol AND better mental health care?

Double dose of common sense.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

That's completely my vote.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Update: doctor shot, body believed to be the shooter has been found. Doctor's condition is unknown as of about 2 minutes ago.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

PASO, Texas – A doctor was shot and another person was found dead at the El Paso VA Health Care System on Tuesday, according to a spokesperson from the office of U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso

Fox link

Just read the same.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

In my rush to update I forgot to include the link. Thanks hillbilly

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Any time

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: th2356

We don't know the details yet.

My guess is, through already existing regulation on firearms, if he had received proper treatment for his issues before hand by the VA, he either would not have reached this point OR he wouldn't have been permitted to own a gun in the first place.

We already have gun control.

What we need, and what has been completely ignored, is the piss poor treatment of suffering and injured vets by the VA, whose sole purpose is to take care of vets.

What we need is to find a way to deal with mental health issues, to understand them, and to let mental health professionals do their jobs without violating the rights of those who are suffering without JUST CAUSE.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

What we need is to find a way to deal with mental health issues, to understand them, and to let mental health professionals do their jobs without violating the rights of those who are suffering without JUST CAUSE.

Regarding the gun thing, we just don't live in different countries, we probably live on different planets.

But at least we can agree about the treatment of vets and the mental health issue.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: th2356

We don't know the details yet.

My guess is, through already existing regulation on firearms, if he had received proper treatment for his issues before hand by the VA, he either would not have reached this point OR he wouldn't have been permitted to own a gun in the first place.

We already have gun control.

What we need, and what has been completely ignored, is the piss poor treatment of suffering and injured vets by the VA, whose sole purpose is to take care of vets.

Most likely: wouldn't have been able to get a gun to begin with. Because that's how the VA rolls, whether it's deserved or not. In this case it obviously was, but still the point remains.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
My cnn alerter thingy just went off and said that one Doctor and the shooter are dead.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join