It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornell Police Chief Apologizes for Saying “All Lives Matter”

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Jamie1

Sure you're not offended.

I'm illustrating that the movement you're referring to, by being angered by the "all lives matter" statement, and calling it disrespectful and pushback, is demonstrating that they truly don't believe that all lives matter.

That is your perception, mine obviously differs.

Why do you think I would allow the actions and beliefs of others offend me? I'm happy.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
all lives matter*

all men are created equal*

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Down must be up then.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There is a term called "Dog Whistling" Or a "dog whistle", which means that someone says something that seems harmless, but is actually hurtful or racist.

I believe this is what people are getting offended about. They believe if someone says "All Lives Matter" (Which is something I believe to be evidently true.), they secretly mean to tell everyone that the "Black Lives Matter" movement is not important.

Now, I personally don't believe that people who say "All Lives Matter" are trying to diminish the protest movement. Rather, they may be trying to say "ALL Lives matter. Black Lives matter, Asian Lives Matter, Native American Lives Matter, Italian Lives Matter, Russian Lives Matter, ad nauseum"

But people will always look for a way to distort the message of another to suit their own agendas.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
There is a term called "Dog Whistling" Or a "dog whistle", which means that someone says something that seems harmless, but is actually hurtful or racist.

I believe this is what people are getting offended about. They believe if someone says "All Lives Matter" (Which is something I believe to be evidently true.), they secretly mean to tell everyone that the "Black Lives Matter" movement is not important.

Now, I personally don't believe that people who say "All Lives Matter" are trying to diminish the protest movement. Rather, they may be trying to say "ALL Lives matter. Black Lives matter, Asian Lives Matter, Native American Lives Matter, Italian Lives Matter, Russian Lives Matter, ad nauseum"

But people will always look for a way to distort the message of another to suit their own agendas.

EXACTLY!

This is the whole point, and a much bigger point.

People who are looking for "dog whistles," hearing things that aren't there, are so conditioned to get what they want by finding offense and blaming others that they had to make up the term "dog whistle."

Thank you for pointing this out. This is how ludicrous the situation has become. People so desperate to be offended they have to produce self-inflicted emotional pain by creating, not just a meaning in somebody else's words, but an intent.

"The sky is blue" can now mean whatever the offending party says it means so they can milk it for the maximum victimhood.

It's a horrible way to achieve anything except the benefits that come from misdirected sympathy.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

EXACTLY!

This is the whole point, and a much bigger point.

People who are looking for "dog whistles," hearing things that aren't there, are so conditioned to get what they want by finding offense and blaming others that they had to make up the term "dog whistle."

Thank you for pointing this out. This is how ludicrous the situation has become. People so desperate to be offended they have to produce self-inflicted emotional pain by creating, not just a meaning in somebody else's words, but an intent.

"The sky is blue" can now mean whatever the offending party says it means so they can milk it for the maximum victimhood.

It's a horrible way to achieve anything except the benefits that come from misdirected sympathy.
As usual, you put what I intended to say very eloquently. I really need to use my English skills more. I'm becoming too used to Japanese.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Or it's just that obvious.

That's not what dog whistle is by the way.

No one is desperate to be offended.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Or it's just that obvious.

That's not what dog whistle is by the way.

No one is desperate to be offended.
How is it obvious, may I ask?

Saying "All Lives Matter" is pretty innocent statement. It's to say that ALL lives matter, and yes, this INCLUDES black lives. So why is it so offensive, in your opinion?
edit on 6-1-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: How do I grammar!?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Just a suggestion to all the protesters out there "Focus, Focus, Focus on the issue of excessive force used by the police". Don't alienate yourselves and drive away support for your cause. Think before you act. Arguing over a saying because the word black was left out, is really isolating yourselves. There are way too many negative actions on the part of the protesters which is causing their support to wain. Stop protesting among innocent citizens!!! Your beef is with the police, and political leaders who are creating this climate of brutality and excessive force.

In the same sentence, I have to say the NY police department is just as short sighted as the protesters. By using a funeral for a political protest, really disrespected the family at a time when the focus should have been on them and the death of the two police officers. Is nobody thinking of the negative impact on what they want to achieve before acting out?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

All you're doing is whining about five minutes of discomfort, interruption etc then you jump the shark to pipe bombs and extreme violence while completely ignoring the fact that they risk experiencing interruption, discomfort and actual violence every time they step out of the house.

And why is that?

It's because we have a government that has passed too many laws. You want laws that control people's behavior too tightly. Do you know why Michael Garner had that interaction with police? It's because New York has practically made it a crime to have a cigarette unless you are fairly well off. New York made it a lucrative thing to sell cigarettes one at a time because their laws make the cost of tobacco punitive.

Why was Garner arrested? Because of stupid laws. Tax laws.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

All lives matter isn't offensive but neither is saying black lives matter (doesn't by default state ONLY).

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not sure why you assume I want more or stricter laws. Quite the opposite lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Why should the Black lives matter movement alienate anyone for simply wanting the focus to remain on black lives?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

All lives matter isn't offensive but neither is saying black lives matter (doesn't by default state ONLY).
Ah, then that we agree on. I am certainly not offended by the phrase "Black Lives Matter", rather I support that movement. I recognize there is some racism still evident in the U.S., and sometimes cops are racist as well. I just don't think people should be offended by "All Lives Matter". Rather, make it PART of the "Black Lives Matter" movement, say EVERYONE matters. Isn't true equality the ultimate goal?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is offended by it just those leading, participating in the Black Lives Matter movement want the focus for THEIR movement to stay on black lives. Rather it seems to be that people are offended by the term blacklivesmatter and are interpreting it as only black lives matter.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is offended by it just those leading, participating in the Black Lives Matter movement want the focus for THEIR movement to stay on black lives. Rather it seems to be that people are offended by the term blacklivesmatter and are interpreting it as only black lives matter.
I could see where some might make that determination. Perhaps they are too shortsighted.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

We all know that all lives matter, but the reasoning for black lives matter, just means that prior to all of this controversy ( and to date still in effect) the likelihood of a police officer facing any real punitive actions for killing someone that is black had a very low likelihood, but to pour salt on the wounds people that still refuse to see this fact, always detract to other ills that seem to prevail in black communities like black on black crime, or other problems that have nothing to do with the issue of cover ups, questionable tactics, dirty tricks, straight up profiling, yes off duty black officers also victims of profiling, cohesion between law enforcement and prosecutors.

Lets be honest, all lives matter looks good on paper, but just like all men are created equal was written in the constitution..

Frederick Douglass vs. Alexander Stephens

We have someone once again who will not accept the message but instead, put their head in the sand, wish it would go away, sweep it under a rug but too bad that is not going to happen so we will have the opposite pole never respect any grievance that does have some basis.

Regardless of the noise generated around the issue that detract from it, the issue is there and to those that think the way protesters act or the way you think people should act would minimize the real issue, well it will and should not.

I see that some people will always draw that conclusion, for one they really do not care to begin with and for two they probably live in a hermetically sealed life, that know nothing about what is going on in society or what got us to this point in the first place, denial is a helluva thing, but please don't try to make that contagious, those that know the truth are immune to it and it will not defer or deter their desire for justice one iota or even spend a second to argue with someone that clearly is clueless.

One last point I'd like to make, is if you pay attention, many people want their cake and love to eat it, they would use the constitution as their banner for free speech, but as soon as someone is using that very document to express themselves they suddenly will change their tune if certain nerves are being struck and wish those people would shut up, pick up their tents and just leave the cause alone, that is very bad behavior in itself as well.

edit on 6-1-2015 by phinubian because: added info

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It seems to me that those bitching about the Black Lives Matter movement simply just want those that are currently being active on any police brutality issue, to carry the water for them. They don't want to participate but deem themselves as having the right to dictate.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I appreciate your lengthy and well thought out reply, although I dont approach this topic from that of PR and branding and different sides, the only sides are good people and bad people. It really makes it seem like I am in a highschool cafeteria with little children writing poster boards and gossiping and making drama. None of this garbage stuff is solving any problems. None of the 'well he hit me first' or the 'if you branded your brand slightly more like this then I would have given you allll the credit but now and most likely regardless you cant win". And well, I assume, you from the start and all throughout have been settled on a conclusion the entire time, so you have been and will be right regardless, the stance which is 'The cops did nothing wrong', 'black people have no reason to react the way they are, they are wrong for doing so' or 'they can protest all they want because thats their freedom, but they are not protesting anything, they are wrong, there is no reason, there is nothing that needs to be changed, nothing unjust is happening to them that can be stopped, or that is anyone elses fault but their own'; is that true, that those are something of your outlook on the situation?

If their PR and branding had been ideal, how do you think the situation would have been different, lets say they said 'yes all lives matter'; what do you think they together would have then attempted to change, what do you think black people want changed? Do the black people in the 'movement' have any right to 'be upset about the system'?

See your solution to the problem is not changing anything about society, but changing the black peoples levels of anger towards society. Your solution is for them to admit that all lives matter, and then quietly slink back to their ghettos and leave the white folks be. If that is not the case, if they were to admit all lives matter (which in less you are severly deranged, you must admit that they obviously live their lives with this sentiment, as I am positive most of them have not committed murder, though perhaps a racial knee jerk reaction would be to make a joke about your uncertainty of that) to successfully appease your standards for initiating diplomacy, what is at least one act that you think would and should follow that initial positive act of diplomacy? Or is that success, because you believe there is no problem, so you believe the black people are wrong and crazy, so you believe their blacklivesmatter thing is unsubstantiated and baseless and meaningless, so you think they are sick and wrong and dumb, so the only problem with society that you see is that black people think that they are being oppressed, and so the only solution to this problem is eliminating the thought that they are oppressed, because you know they are not, so they eliminate the thought black lives matter, and replace it with all lives matter, problem solved, black people are no longer crazy, black people no longer have reason, as they didnt in the first place, to be upset with society, and then this slight annoyance will have been dealt with and the white man can go on with his natural business undisturbed.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Imagine if you were in a big adopted family of 14 children and your name was lucy, and at supper time you always got way less food than the others, the food of which was handed out by the parents who may or may not have had their favorites and may or may not have had their reasons for having favorites and may or may not have been justified in having their reasons for having favorites; and until one day you stand up and show your empty plate and say "Lucys life matters!", and all the children and the parents stop eating as the record skips and a fork clinks, and they collectively start barking and murmuring at you "how dare you! all of our lives matter! you racist! you greedy scum! you dont think our lives matter? Thats it, no supper for you! everyone else, we learned a valuable lesson today, you will all get seconds and dessert. Can you believe the nerve of some people? To have the gall to say that their life matters, when it can be plainly seen and known that all of our lives matter?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join