It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornell Police Chief Apologizes for Saying “All Lives Matter”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Because their verbal and violent attacks against both black and white people who are willing to support them are simply causing their "Black Lives Matter" movement to be looked upon by many people as "they get what they deserve mentality."
You don't go around protesting saying you're being victimized by the police, and than engage in looting. burning down buildings, beating innocent African Americans, shootings, harassing people in their cars and on foot, and also telling white college students they don't want them to march with them on campus. The cries of injustice will fall on deaf ears.

I know African American's are angry, and I know they probably are being harassed by police. Police stereotype, it's part of their job duties whether people like it or not. It's basic human nature to be suspicious about people if they're involved in a lot of crime. You can't change how people think. You can however change their perspective about people if they can see a change in their behavior.

Stereotyping...it's done all the time.

...Be aware of kids wearing red bandannas, most likely their members of the bloods gang.
---Be aware of teenagers wearing over-sized coats in stores.
---Be aware of Middle Eastern men walking alone during popular events.
---We can even get into stereotyping Asians, Italians and Russians for belonging to organized crime rings.

The list could go on and on.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Jamie1

Or it's just that obvious.

That's not what dog whistle is by the way.

No one is desperate to be offended.

Yes, it is what people refer to as a "dog whistle." And yes, it's giving some situation, some words, some external circumstance one meaning out of an infinite number of possible meanings just to demonize the offending party, claim victimhood, and seek some sort of political advantage.

Take this example:

Yes, states rights are one of the founding principals of the Constitution. Its what creates the system for representation in the Federal government. It's what allowed individual states to determine their own laws about gay marriage and marijuana.

But if you listen to the dog whistle peeps, states rates is nothing but a racist code word. Stupid.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian

denial is a helluva thing, but please don't try to make that contagious,

AND

One last point I'd like to make, is if you pay attention, many people want their cake and love to eat it, they would use the constitution as their banner for free speech, but as soon as someone is using that very document to express themselves they suddenly will change their tune if certain nerves are being struck and wish those people would shut up, pick up their tents and just leave the cause alone, that is very bad behavior in itself as well.

This is awesome!!!! Thank YOU!!!

You accuse me in one paragraph of being in denial, and say "don't try to make that contagious," implying that I shouldn't share my perspective.

Then you end you post by making a point about how people use free speech for their own ends, and want to "change their tune" wish people would "shut up" when they don't like what they're hearing.

This is classic. A keeper. It should be an example in a text book or something.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I must say, all of this recent tension around the states being blamed on "race" is absolutely absurd. Such a small amount of these recent problems are due to race. This is a problem with the human race as a whole! People constantly ranting about how "Black lives matter!" and such is frustrating to me. Just like she said, all lives matter! There is a problem with the way HUMANS treat other HUMANS. Not with how other races treat blacks or vice versa. I don't mean to be stereotypical here, but we are all one. The sooner people realize that, the sooner this nonsense will cease to exist.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

a reply to: ScientificRailgun

All lives matter isn't offensive but neither is saying black lives matter (doesn't by default state ONLY).

Yes, agreed.

The issue here is that those offended by "all lives matter" clearly are demonstrating by their actions nothing to indicate they believe all lives matter.

Examples:

Blacks who are going to be murdered in Chicago this year are not to be discussed.
They refer to a relatively small number of black being shot by police as "genocide" and never speak a word about the actual genocide in Africa.
Businesses are burned to the ground in protest, and the "black lives matter" peeps don't advocate for the business owners' lives that were just decimated.
The lives of the people they set out to harass having lunch don't matter.

Heck, not even all black lives matter to them. The only thing that seems to matter is pointing a finger of blame.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

It's so sad that you seem to think black people don't discuss anything ever unless it's catapulted onto the national scene via protest. Don't worry though there's plenty of others in your boat so at least you won't be lonely.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

Imagine if you were in a big adopted family of 14 children and your name was lucy, and at supper time you always got way less food than the others, the food of which was handed out by the parents who may or may not have had their favorites and may or may not have had their reasons for having favorites and may or may not have been justified in having their reasons for having favorites; and until one day you stand up and show your empty plate and say "Lucys life matters!", and all the children and the parents stop eating as the record skips and a fork clinks, and they collectively start barking and murmuring at you "how dare you! all of our lives matter! you racist! you greedy scum! you dont think our lives matter? Thats it, no supper for you! everyone else, we learned a valuable lesson today, you will all get seconds and dessert. Can you believe the nerve of some people? To have the gall to say that their life matters, when it can be plainly seen and known that all of our lives matter?"

A great story, but I don't think the people saying "All Lives Matter" Aim to take little Lucy's plate away, to use your analogy.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'm glad ATS is a fringe website, because you guys are on the wrong side of history way too often.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

Imagine if you were in a big adopted family of 14 children and your name was lucy, and at supper time you always got way less food than the others, the food of which was handed out by the parents who may or may not have had their favorites and may or may not have had their reasons for having favorites and may or may not have been justified in having their reasons for having favorites; and until one day you stand up and show your empty plate and say "Lucys life matters!", and all the children and the parents stop eating as the record skips and a fork clinks, and they collectively start barking and murmuring at you "how dare you! all of our lives matter! you racist! you greedy scum! you dont think our lives matter? Thats it, no supper for you! everyone else, we learned a valuable lesson today, you will all get seconds and dessert. Can you believe the nerve of some people? To have the gall to say that their life matters, when it can be plainly seen and known that all of our lives matter?"

Your posts are awesome! Thank you!!

I look at things in terms of desired outcomes, and how to make progress towards those outcomes. I rarely think in terms of "right" and "wrong" because it's subjective. Everybody thinks they're right. Nobody thinks they're wrong. Achieving deisred results starting by requiring an assignment of "right" and "wrong" rarely works. Look at the Middle East.

So what's the desired result?

I've spoken with protesters and asked them what specific action, if any, could anybody take to make them feel like they've achieved the desire of their protest. The only specific answer they wanted an end to the police state, and they would achieve that end by requiring all police wear cameras.

If the protesters want to end institutional racism, or whatever specifically they want to accomplish by protesting, it would be easier to accomplish if they had a specific, stated, desired result.

Like your analogy of Lucy at the dinner table (which I loved) what is her outcome? To get the same amount of mashed potatoes as her brother Linus?

To identify tangible, real steps to make progress towards a solution, one would have to know the desired end result, align all concerned parties on agreement with that result, and then decide specific action steps and measurable indicators to make sure progress is being made.

What's the end game? New laws? New regulations? New guidelines?

What?

Is there a stated objective or end game?

I was thinking purely in terms of the end game being PR in the other post. If the end game is positive PR to sway public opinion, I'm not sure it's been positive.

To use your Lucy example, if Lucy would run around her neighborhood telling her neighbors, "Lucy's life matters!" they might listen to her politely, and when she leaves continue with their dinners.

In any marketing or PR, you need to focus on the audience, what they want, what's in it for them. Take the Middle East again. I have no horse in the race. I can empathize with both sides.

I also have a friend in Turkey who once explained to me how everybody in Istanbul gets along, Jews, Muslims, and Christians.

He said their motto is, "My life is my life. Your life is your life."

Simple, huh?

For the vast majority of life here in the U.S., with 350 million people living together 24/7365, we get along.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

It's so sad that you seem to think black people don't discuss anything ever unless it's catapulted onto the national scene via protest. Don't worry though there's plenty of others in your boat so at least you won't be lonely.

What are you talking about?? How many hours have you spent in the 9th Ward in New Orleans? How about Brooklyn?

How about South Central? Baton Rouge? Mobile? Atlanta? Chicago? Detroit?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

What are you talking about?? How many hours have you spent in the 9th Ward in New Orleans? How about Brooklyn?

You're a true humanitarian.

All of these things you have done and still find time to race bait on ATS every day.

Good for you!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I think plenty do, not all and probably not even most but plenty. To analogize: "Your protest doesn't embody EVERYTHING I think it should, therefore it's invalid."

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow
I'm glad ATS is a fringe website, because you guys are on the wrong side of history way too often.
Pointing out that the protesters need to focus on the REAL evil, and not the semantics of a few people is on the wrong side of history? Most of us here SUPPORT the protesters, myself included.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I think plenty do, not all and probably not even most but plenty. To analogize: "Your protest doesn't embody EVERYTHING I think it should, therefore it's invalid."
You and I may have differing views on the intent behind "All Lives Matter", then. I take it at face value. To use a previous Analogy, I think they mean Lucy's plate should be full, along with everyone elses.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I live and was raised in Boston. Things aren't as horribly segregated by color here. We do have our poor white, poor black, poor spanish neighborhoods and ghettos but mostly it's poor with poor. I grew up in those neighborhoods and I've seen with my own eyes everything I've talked about in these threads and our cops aren't even as infected with racists as others... but I've seen it happen to not just 'others' but my friends and neighbors.

Working, socializing and living amongst people of different ethnicity I happen to know that they don't just talk about police violence... being an activist I know this is true nationally as well. Do you not know about neighborhood coalitions that discuss and try to deal with gang violence and crime in general? Daily... those community organizers work 24/7.

How easily you trivialize just because YOU think there shouldn't be any national discussion from black people until YOUR issues are dealt with first. Just wow.

ETA: To clarify... I've not seen police gun down anyone, what I've seen though is harassment while I'm standing there with them doing the same damn thing as they are totally ignored.
edit on 1/6/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

How can discussing different view points put anybody on the wrong side of history?

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

You're a true humanitarian.

All of these things you have done and still find time to race bait on ATS every day.

Good for you!
''

Can you explain what you mean? Which race am I speaking about unfairly? Did I offend you?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

How can discussing different view points put anybody on the wrong side of history?

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Classic troll behavior.

Feign ignorance in an attempt to get me to engage. I've looked at your thread and posting history. Lots of race baiting. Almost exclusively race-baiting, actually. Lots of people toss around the word agenda, but I wonder what yours is, considering you like to take the unpopular opinion in just about every stance, I would almost be convinced that you are doing some kind of paper on fringe beliefs and how to incite vitriol and hared amongst a group of people discussing race.

But, then again, we're on a conspiracy board.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

How easily you trivialize just because YOU think there shouldn't be any national discussion from black people until YOUR issues are dealt with first. Just wow.

Boston? Cool. Go visit Harvard and ask them what they're doing to help out the poor neighborhoods. I'd be curious. Go Pats!

Your last statement, quoted above, is a bizarre perception you've come up with. What are you talking about?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Your last statement, quoted above, is a bizarre perception you've come up with. What are you talking about?

Again with the feigning ignorance.

You've gotta pick up your game.

If Im picking up on it, and Im not that smart, others will see it as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join