It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So North Korea was behind the SONY Hack?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Watching CNN while having some coffee at this restaurant they were saying that it was N. Korea behind the Sony Hacks. They were saying that with the Hack and the threats could be considered an act of war, in turn their talking heads were suggesting they freeze all N. Koreas accounts and give them a choice compromise or face economic collapse. I don't know how I feel about this as this could start a ripple effect of all kinds of consequences I don't know about but internally feel exist. What about the innocent people in N. Korea that would be effected? How will China react? I find it strange a large entertainment and entertainment tech corporation may be the catalyst for so much suffering across the globe how does ATS feel about it?

"Unfortunately, it's a big win for North Korea. They were able to get Sony to shut down the picture. They got the U.S. government to admit that North Korea was the source of this and there's no action plan really, at least publicly no action plan, in response to it," said Cha. "I think from their perspective, in Pyongyang, they're probably popping the champagne corks."

CNN Link

edit on 18-12-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I know CNN blame North Korea for the attacks, but has it been confirmed to be them?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The United States knows people would be pretty upset if they started a "war" over a friggin' stoner flick.

I wouldn't worry.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Brotherman! When did you get out? Good to see you again!

Sony is an international company. I guess threatening 9/11 action where the movie was played was a directed threat at the US, since it wasn't opening in other countries. North Korea can't really come over here and attack. Let the UN handle it.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

TIME

They are saying that us officials have determined N. Korea was centrally involved in the attack and that although the attack came from outside of N. Korea, Pyongyang is still responsible. I wish there was a name behind US Official though. To be honest I am still skeptical on the whole situation, but if true seems like a big game changer as they are saying that the 9-11 like attack threats on top of the hacking is an act of war etc, I don't know what the gov is going to do but whatever it is that they do I do not think will be beneficial to the people at large.

The New York Times, citing senior Obama Administration officials, reported that intelligence officials have determined North Korea was “centrally involved.” NBC News, also citing unnamed U.S. officials, reported that the Americans believe the hacking came from outside North Korea itself, but that the hackers were acting on orders from Pyongyang.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is impossible according to many members on this board. The reason being, again according to many members on this board, is because this is N. Korea's current tech:

So, if they pulled of a hack of this magnitude with that tech, then we are all doomed if they get their hands on anything modern!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

They are saying that the attacks came from outside N. Korea but pyongyang was in charge, that being what it is we don't know what kind of tech was used as it wasn't N Koreas tech. Or at least thats what I am thinking.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It's not so much the hack, but the threat of violence that would be the catalyst for any counter.

remember the movie wasn't pulled due to the hack.

That is.. if any of it is real in the 1st place, im not wholly subscribing to the rhetoric.. just pointing out the retaliatory speak is due to the threat on the cinema's and the civilians that would have been in those cinema's (and apparently even those living near).

It all makes little sense to me, far nastier fish to fry than sony.. call me when they hit nestle, those folks are pure evil (expose the water privatization/markup/overprice scam.. do some good for the world)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

If it originated anywhere other than N. Korea, then it wasn't N. Korea. They can blame N. Korea all they would like, but the source is the source.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Xarian6

It all seems very strange to me as well, so strange that because of everything involved my skeptic meter is up and wondering what the bottom line of all this is going to be. Times are strange and scary so early into the 21st century I hope things get better.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

If the CIA or NSA used tech in Ukraine to Hack Russia and then threaten to blow public places up does that not make the US responsible regardless of where the tech was used? Or am I just looking at this wrong?

(I am not suggesting that the US INtel agencies would do something like that either)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

N. Korea doesn't do covert, and they don't do stealth. They want everyone to know it was them and that it was their tech. The last thing they would want or do is to show weakness by having to resort to using outside resources.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Isn't Sony saying it was an inside job?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Xarian6

Why was the movie ultimately pulled. I had thought Sony was just losing to much money by movies being released and being able to be pirated early like Annie. Was there active threats of violence made at theatres?

And I had thought through this that Sony and Seth Rogen would stand firm with the example of as the examples of Matt and Trey the creators of south park stood strong when they depicted Mohammed and they had threats of violence.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

To be honest idk I was commenting on what they were saying on the news, apparently the WH will be making a statement about it sometime to day. I will take a look and see what Sony is saying about it though.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

And here I thought they just used MAC machines from the late 80's

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

SEOUL— North Korea is often viewed as impoverished, isolated and technologically backward. However, officials in South Korea have said that recent cyber attacks traced to Pyongyang have demonstrated hacking capabilities that are world class. Seoul's spy agency further claims that North Korea has trained a cyber army and that its soldiers are receiving support in China.

This month, South Korea's National Intelligence Service gave new details on the scale, operation and goals of North Korea's cyber army of trained hackers.

LINK

This article was posted last year and it discusses N. Koreas hacking army and the dangers it poses. It seems that they do have some kind of spy hackers.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The United States knows people would be pretty upset if they started a "war" over a friggin' stoner flick.

Would be fitting and go inline with the scary plausible Idiocracy movie prophecy.

edit on 211231America/ChicagoThu, 18 Dec 2014 10:21:33 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

I wouldn't make too much of a deal over a third-rate movie, the revealing email messages and what we should do about it if NK is responsible. The worst harm we could do to NK and the best for our position is to make sure with our current capabilities that no NK rocket of any dangerous type to other countries is ever successful again. Taking them out as they arch over the sea. Our defense weapons can easily perform that task with NK never fully knowing who did the deed, exactly as they have done with cyber attacks.

That will be a lesson that they will never forget and it may well make them forget about nukes and resort to helping their own people. In today's world, action and the capability for action is far more important than bellicose words of which we've been hearing too much of lately from several sources. As Teddy Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Camacho/Not Sure for 2016 presidential bid!

I'd vote for them. Gotta be better than any choice the right/left will force on us.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join