It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Brings Scientists & Theologians Together To Prepare World For Extraterrestrial Contact

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
I would love to see how the Vatican is going to baptise microbial aliens ..

With water... holy water, that is.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

originally posted by: 0bserver1
I would love to see how the Vatican is going to baptise microbial aliens ..

With water... holy water, that is.

B4 baptizing, one has to believe that Jesus was the Son of God and that He died for our sins.
So how would any1 get the aliens of whatever for to believe?
Anyone?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If the Vatican found out these aliens were around 13 years old and male the last thing they'd be doing is Baptising their asses.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm a history buff. This is odd, considering how dull I found history class in school! Anyway, I recall reading about people saying that human flight was impossible. Later it was heavier than air flight is impossible. Then it was flight faster than the speed of sound is impossible. There were those who said trains could never go faster than 45 mph because the human body couldn't stand the stress. Later there were those that said space flight was impossible. Then they said travel to the moon was impossible. Are we starting to see a pattern here? Now we're told that travel between the stars is impossible due to the vast distances involved. This may be true but, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE DON'T KNOW!

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: EA006

Well if Jesus would return he'd be a zombie not an alien. Or a moving skeletton and pretty dusty.

Crucified, rose from the dead, ascended to heaven......

More likely to be an alien me thinks. That's if you believe the BS in the bible in the first place.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Oudoceus

Dude, when did you go to school 1900?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I prefer the "Zombie Jesus" narrative myself.

"Look upon my wounds and know that I am the son o-BRRRAAAAIIINNNNNSSSS"

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
If the Vatican found out these aliens were around 13 years old and male the last thing they'd be doing is Baptizing their asses.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Wouldn't an advanced alien religion be based of previous lessons learned from crisis's in history, some of the old, primitive stories being passed down to generation from generation with various theme adaptations, relating to the spirit of the times.

Ex, Jesus said " Forgive them, for they know, NOT, what they do".

And his dad could of been " Don't forgive them, for they know what they do." Or maybe that was his Son, idk, don't care.

While some new ones get thrown here to there from time to time. And really helpful techniques, where some are basic, while other incredibly impressive, and very dangerous possibly, go along with philosophies to understand one own initiative, mind set, or even mojo for that matter(probably very important that one, it is).

And also not pissing of the force of natures, or worse, God, preserving the existence of the species from the dawn, till the end of time.

That's sounds like a religion I'd trade my soul for, or I'd buy that for a dollar!

edit on 16-12-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

That would make an awesome film lol

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

I would take a guess and say that their intentions would be negative at first, a sort of "baptism" on us...then they would re-build a better society. We the truth is free.

Planetary enlightenment.
Without taking their "Brave New World" happy pill training, do we retain our Divine right of choice. Are we allowed to maintain our individual freedom of judgment? Or must we "bow down" to the gods as in ancient times.......

The world, the universe are not simply black and white, good or evil. Are the nightly visitations at a end? Is the covert mind control over? Has the underground Pindar been dethroned? Has the wicked witch been dowsed in water??????????

Playing the devils advocate here, who gave us spears, swords, and gun powder in the first place????? Have their been mistakes made in the past? Will there be in the future? I'm guessing yes. If these "Aliens" can not be honest up front, what makes you think the end result will be honesty? That, is all I have ever asked for. And I might add, I am a firm believer in honesty, it is, the best policy! Well, if the Pindar is no more............

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Coming to Theaters December 2016: "Pontius Pilate: Zombie Hunter"

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Get your face out of your phone and crack a book sometime. You would be amazed at how much you would learn. You're a perfect example; YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW! a reply to: EA006

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I foresee record box office prophets.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oudoceus
I'm a history buff. This is odd, considering how dull I found history class in school! Anyway, I recall reading about people saying that human flight was impossible. Later it was heavier than air flight is impossible. Then it was flight faster than the speed of sound is impossible. There were those who said trains could never go faster than 45 mph because the human body couldn't stand the stress. Later there were those that said space flight was impossible. Then they said travel to the moon was impossible. Are we starting to see a pattern here? Now we're told that travel between the stars is impossible due to the vast distances involved. This may be true but, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE DON'T KNOW!

No one ever said interstellar travel was impossible. Just very hard, costly, long and boring for US to do due to our short life span and the speed of light being a limiting factor.

But even then you have ideas like Alcubierre's warp drive concept which NASA scientists are doing small scale experiments to test its viability.

See also this page at NASA: Warp Field Mechanics 101 - Dr. Harold “Sonny” White - NASA Johnson Space Center

And this article: US space agency commissions design for its first warp speed spaceship

Also this conference the OP posted about is not the first time it has hosted one like this. NASA has repeatedly over the last 2-3 years had conferences and public forums about life in space in preparation for the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope. The first space telescope capable of detecting signs of life on nearby exoplanets by examining their atmospheres.

One of the points I make frequently on ATS is that NASA is spearheading a push to both find life out there and develop breakthrough technologies which may one day enable missions to the nearby stars.

The prequel to the real life "Star Trek" is already under way!

Thanks to exoplanet hunters on Earth and the Kepler spacecraft we now know that planets similar to Earth are common and there could be quite a few of them nearby....

It's part of NASA's 30 year plan to eventually build telescopes which can resolve features on any habitable planets around the size of the Earth around nearby stars. This NASA document was published in 2013. Excerpts below:

And contains the following:

You guys should realize the majority of scientists believe aliens probably exist elsewhere in our galaxy and the universe beyond. I posted this video which explains why in the ATS Space Exploration forum (which you should hang out in if you're interested in this stuff).

Nothing in physics rules out interstellar travel. Perhaps in the future it will be US who visit the alien home world as depicted in this little video animation I made of an Alcubierre Warp ship based on Sonny White's papers, encountering a hypothetical inhabited planet around the nearby star Zeta 2 Reticuli (wait for it

edit on 16-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oudoceus
Get your face out of your phone and crack a book sometime. You would be amazed at how much you would learn. You're a perfect example; YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW! a reply to: EA006

And you don't know me. Until you do, keep your crap to yourself.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
What makes everyone think that any alien would have any religion? All earthly religions are social crutches for people who can't answer for themselves the questions, why, what for and when. I have to totally agree with Oudoceus. People look on no travelling past the speed of light, no teleportation and other fantastic claims as cast in stone and cannot be violated. Thes so called facts are not facts at all but theories and only stand till another paradigm is discovered. Oudoceus already gave you the reasons, over one hundred years ago the advancements we have today would have been science fiction. Now think of a civilisation thousands of years ahead of us and if you think we have reached the pinnacle of science discoveries about space travel you are seriously deluded. In fact people who think that are serious handicaps to advancement as they exude"we can't travel faster than light therefore it's a waste of time looking to try. Very, very bad science that.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Guys can we stop fighting?

By the way, the reason theologians are invited to these talks is not because they would try to "convert" the aliens to some Earthly religion but rather to bring religious scholars into the fold for when we do finally detect life on another world. A large portion of the planet is religious in nature and might turn to religious leaders for guidance in what for some older generations might be a shocking announcement.

They are there to "prepare the flock".

One reason I began hanging out in this forum is because there is a lot of interest in the sociological impact of such a discovery in my field of study and much of the public relates to aliens through pop-culture stuff like sci-fi movies and UFO literature so studying what's out there is good for when we detect or perhaps someday meet the real thing.
edit on 16-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I do fear that if aliens did land and try and communicate, they'd land in the middle east, get taken hostage and have an ISIS flag draped over their spaceship.

lol

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

My personal thoughts on the matter is that while some of the older generations may be shocked, it really wouldn't disrupt normal life for most people. We've been slowly fed media, audio and video images of aliens for a long time now, and many of us I suspect would simply go "Huh, well that's one question answered." and go about their day. Now, this is for microbial life of course.

Intelligent contact and communication would likely have larger social and religious implications, but again I believe many of the younger generations would welcome our new interstellar neighbors with optimism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join