It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who or what are the angels? Are they male or female?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Angel giving human knowledge-

Luke 1:26-38

The Birth of Jesus Foretold

26 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee,27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.28The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."

29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God.31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus.32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

34 "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"

35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month.37 For nothing is impossible with God."

38 "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Abednego

That's a conversation that could deserve its own thread in the philosophy section, but this is a religious thread. Also, at the very least, we can see that black and white exist, regardless if they are considered colors or not. There isn't any evidence that angels exist.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
Meaning that people has personal experiences everyday, some people believe them, others say that is just imagination. What is truth for some is not truth for others. But is does not mean it isn't real.

About the thread I'll consider it.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
they're probably regular people that during specific events during history owned a performance so singular that they became Named units. I think Angel is equivalent to General.

they owned forever actions worth Remembrance.

in a world where many people just want to forget the details of their lives...these guys or girls stories were told so that no detail was missed.

the antithesis of the Angel; therefore, is the Demon.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
As for the gender of angels, it is interesting to note that in Genesis when a sect of angels "fell" from Heaven and assumed physical bodies they were male and mated with human females and produced hybrid offspring called Nephilim.

Perhaps in the spiritual form there is no gender.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
Hey, how come this guy is wearing watches around his wrists?

I zoomed in on it,

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

That's a conversation that could deserve its own thread in the philosophy section, but this is a religious thread. Also, at the very least, we can see that black and white exist, regardless if they are considered colors or not. There isn't any evidence that angels exist.
Please tell me what evidence of angels that you would accept. There are many pictures that exist of shapes of beings not completly here and if angels exist in the ether then why would you assume we would have physical evidence here other than influence and things along those lines like children giving various descriptions.

Objective and repeatable. The only kind that science accepts.

As you point out this is a forum for discussing topics that are faith based so there will be no evidence even if by a miricle you would accept proof that others would. btw You dismiss very much to reach the conclusion of them not existing.

Ok, let's play a Creationist game. Prove that angels AREN'T a figment of someone's imagination resulting from an ingrained confirmation bias.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'll just focus on the gender question, without getting into anything else.
Strict philosophically-based theology says they must be without gender, because they have no physical bodies.
The only names mentioned in the scriptures- Michael, Gabriel, Raphael- have been picked up as male names, which shows how much they were popularly regarded as male people.
I'm inclined to think that the "femininity" of angels comes from Victorian sentimentality. Also the practical necessities of teachers organising children into Nativity plays. The only way to find parts for the girls is to cast them as angels. The boys are already catered for, because you can put tea-towels on their heads and call them shepherds.
edit on 18-11-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

That is because beauty is a subjective thing. We are talking about objective existence. Does it exist or not and if it does, what is it? Therefore we need objective evidence to say that it exists, then we need more objective evidence to say what it is (if that answer is yes). Subjective evidence is just flowery words and can vary from person to person. It is vague and does little to quantify any observation. It should only be used to backup objective evidence and should never stand on its own to prove something.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

1 was thinking something to tell their actual time and the time of the location they are within as well as a tracker or beam aboard device...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I'll just focus on the gender question, without getting into anything else.
Strict philosophically-based theology says they must be without gender, because they have no physical bodies.

Let's toss the "no bodies" thing out the wind0w.

Jacob -wrestled- an angel in the Old Testament.
edit on 18-11-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Please tell me what evidence of angels that you would accept. There are many pictures that exist of shapes of beings not completly here and if angels exist in the ether then why would you assume we would have physical evidence here other than influence and things along those lines like children giving various descriptions.

Objective and repeatable. The only kind that science accepts.

As you point out this is a forum for discussing topics that are faith based so there will be no evidence even if by a miricle you would accept proof that others would. btw You dismiss very much to reach the conclusion of them not existing.

Ok, let's play a Creationist game. Prove that angels AREN'T a figment of someone's imagination resulting from an ingrained confirmation bias.

Sure but we should do it in a forum for science and not faith. That is the heart of my point and since you have already pointed out the need to keep the forums in perspective then i bet you want to agree with me.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington
All right, let's try "don't reproduce", which somebody has already mentioned.
With the "wrestling" story, you can see why people would think of them as male.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What is truth for some is not truth for others. But is does not mean it isn't real.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

But we are discussing angels here right? Is there any scientific proof of their existence? Well i dont claim that it did happen, just that the story is what it is and both our sources are the same.

So the flood is in the old testament so are angels, one is impossible and other is?

Are we picking cherries? I thought the season had passed.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Jacob - "He who struggles with God."
The 'wrestling' is a word used for a spiritual wrestling or struggle with God.
Not to be taken literally.
Angels have no physical bodies.
They are neither male nor female and can not procreate.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
Is there any scientific proof of their existence?

True. None.
I was speaking from a theological point of view.
It is almost completely accepted that angels are pure spirit beings.
According to theology, they can't be male or female.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Jacob - "He who struggles with God."
The 'wrestling' is a word used for a spiritual wrestling or struggle with God.
Not to be taken literally.
Angels have no physical bodies.
They are neither male nor female and can not procreate.

No.

The angel wrenches Jacob's hip out of socket. Unless we are talking about spiritual hip sockets.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Pure until they were led astray. The bottom line is that yes we are left with stories from our past which don't hold any water today, so it seems.

Still to discount them is not wise imho.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
As for the gender of angels, it is interesting to note that in Genesis when a sect of angels "fell" from Heaven and assumed physical bodies they were male and mated with human females and produced hybrid offspring called Nephilim.

Perhaps in the spiritual form there is no gender.

Interesting to note that bible does not specify if they assumed physical bodies, meaning that they fell "as is".

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Also to note, if one does not believe in angels why do they feel the need to post multiple times in a thread where people are discussing angels?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join