It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Bad news for atheists... For such a long time atheists relied on science to prove that God doesn't exist, and this is how science repays them...

Cool story... wanted to share..

WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.

While this idea may seem outlandish—after all, it seems easy to decide not to believe in God—evidence from several disciplines indicates that what you actually believe is not a decision you make for yourself. Your fundamental beliefs are decided by much deeper levels of consciousness, and some may well be more or less set in stone.

This line of thought has led to some scientists claiming that “atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think,” says Graham Lawton, an avowed atheist himself, writing in the New Scientist. “They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

edit on 4-11-2014 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
They sure make a lot of noise for something that doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure they at least think they exist

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: whatsecret

God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

I like how the presumption is, that God, is a 'he'.

A bias agenda for the gender

I will always be an atheist until someone proves the existence of this deity as solid fact. Which will never happen.
Therefor I lose nor gain anything

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

I like how the presumption is, that God, is a 'he'.

A bias agenda for the gender

I will always be an atheist until someone proves the existence of this deity as solid fact. Which will never happen.
Therefor I lose nor gain anything

Go sit in a corner, you're not even real.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I didn't choose to not believe in God. I never did believe. I only made a choice to quit acting like I believed.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wel, no one has ever seen him, so…

Who's in denial again?

I didn't say that, I was never here.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: whatsecret
Bad news for atheists... For such a long time atheists relied on science to prove that God doesn't exist, and this is how science repays them...

Cool story... wanted to share..

WHILE MILITANT ATHEISTS like Richard Dawkins may be convinced God doesn’t exist, God, if he is around, may be amused to find that atheists might not exist.

Cognitive scientists are becoming increasingly aware that a metaphysical outlook may be so deeply ingrained in human thought processes that it cannot be expunged.

While this idea may seem outlandish—after all, it seems easy to decide not to believe in God—evidence from several disciplines indicates that what you actually believe is not a decision you make for yourself. Your fundamental beliefs are decided by much deeper levels of consciousness, and some may well be more or less set in stone.

This line of thought has led to some scientists claiming that “atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think,” says Graham Lawton, an avowed atheist himself, writing in the New Scientist. “They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

What and god does!!!!

"Tacitly hold Religous beliefs"

Am I missing something here

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It always amused me that people deny God but hold on to the soul thing. Well, whatever. Not sure I believe this, but if true, it's yet another crack in the free will argument.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Oh, I do believe in God. I believe in the same way I believe in Unicorns, Santa Claus, Honest Politicians and Corgunmble Berries. They are fantasy things. And it depends on either age or education as to how real someone else thinks they are. Yes, as atheists we have an understanding of what God is supposed to be but decide to categorize him in the same realm as the Easter Bunny or an Immortal Soul. Sigh, well if I must believe in God, can I at least choose which one I get to believe in?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Rofl, ya go hang out in the corner with all the gingers.

This is quite the conundrum.... Sooo atheists don't believe god exists... Therefore.... If he exists he doesn't believe the atheists exist?

Sounds to me like if god exists he's a Whiney attractive woman because it sure gets caught up in semantics and nonsense games. All knowing but he can't see the atheist band wagon? Seems like a lot of energy gets wasted thinking about this when there is so many more ideas worth thinking on ..
edit on 4-11-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

The Graham Lawton part seems to be a misquote:

Some scientists – notably Pascal Boyer at Washington University in St Louis – have even claimed that atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think. They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.

Source

Given the article is called 'your guide to a godless future' it's unlikely the author's intention is as claim. The rest of this article goes as far as claiming belief in supernatural or 'intangible' elements or taking part in an esoteric practice translates to atheists not being real. It's flimsy.

It appears the discussion and research is being taken out of context in general. I'd have to read more, but Boyer is an anthropologist who believes we may have instincts towards religiousity but that doesn't translate to 'science discovers atheists don't exist' by a long shot.

Perhaps someone else can find Lawton's quote elsewhere, but I haven't found it.

Having my palm read doesn't make me religious. Even if I think ghosts are possible it doesn't mean I believe in God. I suspect click baiting.
edit on 4-11-2014 by Pinke because: Last bit

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The writer seems to think that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in ANYTHING supernatural... In reality, the only thing an atheist doesn't believe in is a deity. A figurehead.

“They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

I'm not sure what an immortal soul is, but I do believe there's more to this existence than our 5 senses tell us. That doesn't mean I'm not an atheist. I hold a lot of beliefs. I just don't believe in a single deity (that most people call "God").

While the UK is often defined as an irreligious place, a recent survey by Theos, a think tank, found that very few people—only 13 per cent of adults—agreed with the statement “humans are purely material beings with no spiritual element”.

Yeah. The writer doesn't know what atheist means...

It's easy to say that atheists don't exist when you make up your own meaning for the word! LOL!

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
lolz

People saying, I'm an atheist!"

I always want to add an "Amen" to that.

"There are no atheists in foxholes."
-Reverend William T. Cummings

I'm going to say a prayer to all the atheists out there.

You probably need it more than I do.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Anyone one who doesn't believe in The God Zeus is an athiest in my book

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

What can I do for you, my son?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the premise, but it isn't usually a topic that can be discussed rationally (I love the irony there). Because of that, I think it would be significantly more productive to try to reduce intentionally divisive language.

I don't think there is much evidence that we can have psychological voids in our minds. The frequently stated 'lack of belief' can only be quantified by the individual through contrarian language. In other words, there would be nothing said if opposing beliefs aren't present to deny.

If the self-identified atheist would instead talk about what is actually going through their minds, rather than what isn't, there might be a lot more interesting conversations. It isn't exclusive to atheism though, it applies to any counter-culture or contrarian approach.

Given that, I think what is being suggested isn't that the individuals do not exist, but that the concept of a vaccuum does not exist in the human psyche as is commonly implied.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer

What can I do for you, my son?

for

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Seeing as belief in God is a byproduct of our attaining sentience I'm not surprised. Religion was invented to explain the unexplainable but more importantly to counter the fear that knowledge of ones own mortality brings.

I'm definitely agnostic and when things get really tough I'll often resort to asking God for help. I spent my whole life steeped in Christianity, it's not particularly shocking.

I've heard that metaphysics are built into the brain many times before but that does not necessitate a belief in God. This does explain why rabid hard-line atheists are no better than religious fundamentalists though. I kinda already knew that without science telling me though.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The writer seems to think that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in ANYTHING supernatural... In reality, the only thing an atheist doesn't believe in is a deity. A figurehead.

“They point to studies showing, for example, that even people who claim to be committed atheists tacitly hold religious beliefs, such as the existence of an immortal soul.”

I'm not sure what an immortal soul is, but I do believe there's more to this existence than our 5 senses tell us. That doesn't mean I'm not an atheist. I hold a lot of beliefs. I just don't believe in a single deity (that most people call "God").

While the UK is often defined as an irreligious place, a recent survey by Theos, a think tank, found that very few people—only 13 per cent of adults—agreed with the statement “humans are purely material beings with no spiritual element”.

Yeah. The writer doesn't know what atheist means...

It's easy to say that atheists don't exist when you make up your own meaning for the word! LOL!

Thank you BH. You said it better than I would have. I don't know how many times I've had to explain this to family, friends, and on ATS. *sigh*
edit on 11/4/2014 by Klassified because: what is it with all the quotes not being quoted now?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I have noticed that a lot of atheists cannot agree on the definition of atheism. Reminds me of religions. All religions agree that God is real but disagree on what God is.

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings.

I think that makes you an agnostic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join