It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mysterious "Official" Visited My Home Today, Questioned Me

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

Pretty mysterious - I'd guess:

1. Disability claim / fraud investigator
  2. Workman's comp investigator
  3. Social Services of some kind - do they have kids?

The card/lanyard thing might've been a ruse to make it look official, to prod you into answering - or it might've been an actual government rep.

I guess you didn't catch the name or affiliation on the card; did you happen to notice the license plate? Most government callers would have a "US Government" or "State/local" license plate on the car - PI's would tend to use a rental car.

These things put you on your heels a bit - so it's understandable you didn't press her for id. But forewarned is forearmed; anyone reading this should probably decide now that any such questioners should first provide id before answering questions like this.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I can't seriously be the only one who's mind jumped immediately to casing his or their (or both) house, am I? This strikes me as straight up target casing a joint....

I'd tell your neighbors ASAP, as well as letting the police know. Some theft rings are super sophisticated now, and she could easily be inconspicuous enough to do their initial info gathering work.

Completely agree here. Nondescript person asking random questions while trying to see what's in your house. Do you have an alarm box by the door she could have been looking for?

This sounds like someone casing the place for a near future robbery. Now they know when you AND your neighbors are home. If you are that close to the station, I would file a report and let them keep an eye out for her.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Indeed, a strange story. If it ever happens to you again, I would ask for some kind of ID or credentials, BEFORE I provided ANY information to anyone. I would simply state I make it a policy for people on my property to identify themselves, in some way.
If they don't, and you are unwilling to host them on your property, it's called trespassing....and is a crime.
Be well,
tetra

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You may find out your neighbors house have been burglarized in the next few days.

If someone won't let you have their ID stuff, don't talk to them. The ID is to prove they are legit and not showing you is going against the whole purpose.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I agree with previous posters. Asking who she is and who she works for would be step one and asking her off your property if failing to provide it would be step two.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: squittles

I couldn't read the words on the card, but there was no government seal, I could tell that much.

I couldn't see the license plates, unfortunately, though I did look. It DID however look like a newer model compact car, so it's highly possible it was a rental.

I asked politely why and for whom she was asking, but I got the response given... much to my regret.

In the future, should this happen again, I'll definitely press harder for ID.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I'll file a report, it couldn't hurt. And although I believe our proximity to the station is relevant, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Pull out the camera phone and film her and her vehicle and plates.
Then you get to ask the questions.
I dont think they were after you, parking in your driveway. nah.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
have you been doing something online you shouldn't have?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ryan2010

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Perhaps my neighbor is being tracked for Ebola or something?

Probably? But…

One time someone just like that asked me the same sort of questions about a neighbor of mine. I said yah, I know them and I refuse to tell you anything until you tell me specifically what you want to know for.

He did eventually tell me that the guy had applied for a job at a defense contractor big name corporation and they always include in their background check a visit to the neighborhood where they live to get some kind of feel for what the neighbors think of them.

I still didn't tell the guy squat and shut the door. But that did sound believable.

The medical people are looking for contactees for Ebola and they don't need to know what you think of your neighbor. More like they want to know where they are at the time because of possible contact with Ebola hosts.

Have you seen them, can you get ahold of them, heres a card call me if you see them or tell them to call us. Its important. So maybe they were being screened for some job or like your other option, lawyers, investigators and civil lawsuits.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That's looking at both sides of the coin, I appreciate it. I don't know them, I've never spoken to them actually.

I DO know however that the couple is definitely retirement-age... and I've never seen any children around the house.

But yeah, the Ebola case would seem call for any means necessary to contact them ASAP... which wasn't the case.

The whole thing just makes me wonder...

One thing to note though... she didn't visit any of the other houses on my cul du sac... just mine.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't ever tell anyone anything about neighbours, acquaintances, friends, or family without knowing exactly who is asking me, and why. They are my first questions, and vociferously asked in response to their questions.
Formal interview under caution then maybe I'll selectively reveal information if I agree with the reasons why the person is asking me, but there's gotta be a damn good reason for me to ever discuss someone else's business to a stranger.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So, why are there two threads with this same story?
This is frequent hereabouts, but sheds some doubt, surely, on the voracity...
This happened to both members today, or what?
Who is making what up?
Of course, I think it possible that it's one person telling a real story, and another not...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50
So, why are there two threads with this same story?
This is frequent hereabouts, but sheds some doubt, surely, on the voracity...
This happened to both members today, or what?
Who is making what up?
Of course, I think it possible that it's one person telling a real story, and another not...

Link to the other story please?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Agreed, however: given the (initial) casual nature of the conversation, along with the lack of any useful information on my part, I felt no need to be overly demanding of this lady's credentials. Her question was (oddly enough) if I know anything about my neighbors... which I really don't... so I had virtually nothing to say anyway. Figured I wasn't much value to her, so I wanted to keep the encounter brief, shallow, and not make any waves.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

Yes, please link.

This happened to me around noon, and I've described in the highest detail possible what happened.

Very interested in this second account of a strange visitor.

edit on 22-10-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well, since they're 'elderly' neighbors, we know they aren't being checked out for a 'Q' clearance...

Anyone doing something legit should have shown ID and identified themselves otherwise; and don't let them just flash some badge in a leather holder, you can buy them on the internet. Ditto for the 'ID on a lanyard' BS.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I agree with others that it never hurts to report it to the police, especially if they are close enough to walk over.

In our area, the police encourage such reports if anyone suspicious is going door to door.

I reported a couple of times. Once when 2 men came to the door to sell home security systems. First thing they asked was if I have a home security system, while looking over my shoulder into the house and asking if my dog was friendly and if they could pet her. They had coats and badges saying they were with a well-known home security company. I told them I don't do business at my door and shut the door in their face.
Then I called the local police non-emergency number, and politely said that I just wanted to report someone going door to door, explained the encounter, and said I have no way of knowing if they are legit are not, but I just wanted to let them know, just in case. They did send a car to check them out.

People will use sophisticated methods to case a neighborhood. It never hurts to report "just in case". Better safe than sorry.

And I also agree with others that it is best to not talk to anyone about anything unless they have proper ID.
Our local power companies regularly send out alerts that if someone comes to your door claiming to be with their company, not to talk to them until calling the company to verify identity.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

originally posted by: wtbengineer

Maybe a PI working for an insurance company or something, investigating insurance fraud or something. I doubt someone like that would feel obliged to show ID or divulge who their employer was. Just a possibility.

Doh! Beat me to it.
I was thinking the same too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join