It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racial Profiling is Good

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here is the way I see it. If a crime is committed and the perpetrator was seen to be about 6'1" and 40 years old, the police will be looking for all the 6'1" 40 year old people. Is that ageism or heightism? No, its common sense. Now if someone commits a crime and is white then the police should be pulling over every white person they see that fits the description of the perpetratior. It's just common sense. But the police and authorities should NOT pull over and harass anyone unless they have reason too. Racial profiling based on no evidence is just as wrong as illegal searches and seizures or any other abuse of power. But if racial profiling needs to be used to track down those who break the law and are a threat to society, it just seems like common sense to use it.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

By the way, the last time a government made racial profiling, it was the Nazis. Think of what you're posting here, IBM.

I have copied/pasted the latter part of IBMs signature. it should show you what that fool is all about

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(I came, I saw, I conquered)
- Julius Caesar, Roman emperor (100BC-44BC), and what George Bush will say after he conquers IRAQ, and makes it our bitch

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
No it dosent sound stupid. WE ARE all the same race. I never said we were all clones. The "differences" you keep harping about are asthetic and cultural and enviromental, no more. WTF has that got to do with profiling people as "likely terrorist" or " suspicious Muslim?" Its not biology its bigotry!

Asthetic? What is asthetic about muscle fibres and being geneticly prone to certain diseases? Cultural? No. Environmental? No, sorry wrong again. These are biological differences.

I am countering the claims by individuals that there is only one race, or no races at all.

Think of it like this, a breed of dog is a zoological construct and genetically equivalent to a race of man.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
Hello all. With the war on terrorism going on, it seems to me that the Arabs are the bigger enemny of the USA. We need to do racial profiling at the airports to better secure the borders, without faltering on all other suspects as well. If you are in the woods and a tiger attacks you, you dont look at the deers, you keep an eye out for tigers!!! How can someone possibly think that racial profiling is bad. I once spoke to someone, and they told me that there were some muslims living in the USA who he knew, and they hated the USA. I mean seriously, if they hate it so much why are they here? Its ok to disagree with policy and such, but hate? If I was an Arab I would be glad to get searched at the airport, possibly even receive a beating also.

So by your logic, the if an American citizen commits a horrid act in lets say China, from then on EVERY American (including you IBM) should be watched, searched, roughed up, or beaten everytime they enter an Asian country?

You my friend are but one of many that do not allow the human race to move forward. Your one-way minded utterly fanatical views are unwanted. Hopefully people of your ilk will become exstinct soon enough.

IBM

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar

Originally posted by Echtelion

By the way, the last time a government made racial profiling, it was the Nazis. Think of what you're posting here, IBM.

I have copied/pasted the latter part of IBMs signature. it should show you what that fool is all about

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(I came, I saw, I conquered)
- Julius Caesar, Roman emperor (100BC-44BC), and what George Bush will say after he conquers IRAQ, and makes it our bitch

Personal attacks are not appreciated according to ATS Policy

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

Originally posted by IBM
Hello all. With the war on terrorism going on, it seems to me that the Arabs are the bigger enemny of the USA. We need to do racial profiling at the airports to better secure the borders, without faltering on all other suspects as well. If you are in the woods and a tiger attacks you, you dont look at the deers, you keep an eye out for tigers!!! How can someone possibly think that racial profiling is bad. I once spoke to someone, and they told me that there were some muslims living in the USA who he knew, and they hated the USA. I mean seriously, if they hate it so much why are they here? Its ok to disagree with policy and such, but hate? If I was an Arab I would be glad to get searched at the airport, possibly even receive a beating also.

So by your logic, the if an American citizen commits a horrid act in lets say China, from then on EVERY American (including you IBM) should be watched, searched, roughed up, or beaten everytime they enter an Asian country?

You my friend are but one of many that do not allow the human race to move forward. Your one-way minded utterly fanatical views are unwanted. Hopefully people of your ilk will become exstinct soon enough.

Then every citizen who looks suspisious should. If China has a rash of bominbings by a certain racial group whomever it is, they should profile. There is nothing wrong with it. China im sure does it to not let foregeiners into its secret communist system unless they look Chinese.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by IBM]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Then every citizen who looks suspisious should. If China has a rash of bominbings by a certain racial group whomever it is, they should profile. There is nothing wrong with it. China im sure does it to not let foregeiners into its secret communist system unless they look Chinese.

And America stands for the following:

Deep

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
There are two people in line to board the airplane. One of these people is Arabic, and is on his knees praying to Allah. The other person standing there is a middle aged white American holding his glasses in one hand, briefcase in the other.

If you were working security, who would you look at more as a potential threat? The Arabic man, or the Caucasian man?

We are racial profiling, and we are doing it quietly in situations like these.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GODFLESH
There are two people in line to board the airplane. One of these people is Arabic, and is on his knees praying to Allah. The other person standing there is a middle aged white American holding his glasses in one hand, briefcase in the other.

If you were working security, who would you look at more as a potential threat? The Arabic man, or the Caucasian man?

We are racial profiling, and we are doing it quietly in situations like these.

First of all, when was the last time you saw anyone praying at an airport?
Let alone facing east towards Mecca. Secondly, I think the situation would actually be two people holding their glasses in one hand and a briefcase in the other, it just happens that one kinda looks "middle eastern" and the other is white, which one do you check? Don't you think that terrorist try to fit in and look like others, so as to not draw unwanted attention to themselves? While you are snapping on the latex gloves ready to check the darker guys colon, you are going to miss the white guy who just got laid off from boeing, his wife left him for another women, and he just found out that his mutual funds are tanking because someone put 90% of it into diebold?(I haven't checked the diebold ticker, but you get my drift)

As I and others pointed out, there was no call to "profile" anyone after oklahoma and the uni-bomber, so why start now?....oh, could it be becuase you look like them, so they can't be all bad? All of you who think we need it need to take a trip to a place where americans get profiled and see how you like a full-fisted rectal exam because you are white. Give me a break, you people just want to have something to justify you own racist beliefs.

bentov

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

This is a different view from which you shared in your original post, you generalized that everybody of a certain race should recieve such treatment, not just the ones that look suspisious. I must say that the reminants of your personally credibility disapate when you alter your views mid-arguement.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I Think he meant 'RADICAL Profiling'.....that's what it is..You talk about keeping eyes open for tigers and not deer ...Then Explain WHY they Are PROFILING EVERYBODY....not only 'TIGERS?'.....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO

Originally posted by instar
No it dosent sound stupid. WE ARE all the same race. I never said we were all clones. The "differences" you keep harping about are asthetic and cultural and enviromental, no more. WTF has that got to do with profiling people as "likely terrorist" or " suspicious Muslim?" Its not biology its bigotry!

Asthetic? What is asthetic about muscle fibres and being geneticly prone to certain diseases? Cultural? No. Environmental? No, sorry wrong again. These are biological differences.

I am countering the claims by individuals that there is only one race, or no races at all.

Think of it like this, a breed of dog is a zoological construct and genetically equivalent to a race of man.

Sirino mate, I understand full well what your saying. One man is called "oriental" the other "caucasian" because the look superficially different and originate from different nations, this is what you call races.
But if i cut both of them with a knife they will both bleed red blood.
I think you can agree with that. I think you can also agree that the dna of both, while having genectic difference will be the same neverthe less. This because they are both of THE (as in only) human race. Your quibbling technicalities.
Fact is that neither mans apperaence makes either more or less likely to be a terrorist or to commit a crime. This is my point. your "racial profiling" is simply assuming a person of given, nationality, appearence or religios persuasion is more likely than another to be suspect. This is an incorrect and biased assumption leading to persecution of a particular group of people. It is Not a reliable means of detecting suspect activity.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by instar]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If you gave Osama a bath, he would look like the many jesus figures in churches.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Profiling is good racial profiling is just sloppy police work.

Do a google image search for Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani and tell me that racial profiling is still a good idea.

IBM

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman

Do a google image search for Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani and tell me that racial profiling is still a good idea.

Yes it is still good.

IBM

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Yes it is still good.

IBM

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Profiling is needed, but with common sense.

If a woman and child are going through security, followed by a Arab, a black and an Asian, and the guards had to pick someone to search, then they should use common sense, and frisk the person that most fits the description of a terrorist.

If I am white, driving through Chicago on my way to a restaurant, I have to pass through a certain neighborhood that is majority African American. I have been pulled over by the police before and asked what I was doing in this neighborhood. That is also racial profiling. Though whites flock to this area for drugs, the cops should not pull over every person that fits the 'description' over. If they same happened to a black person driving through an affluent white neighborhood, the police would be in big trouble for profiling.

peace

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Funny he doesnt look very arabic to me... looks more like an an African then an Arab but hey what do I know right?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Is your "profile" going to catch the Chechen terrorists that are rumored to have entered the US through Mexico?
Chechen terrorists probed

Still confident that just checking "Arab looking" men is this countries best bet?

IBM

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Sorry this was a dbl post

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join