It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

musicians/bands generally accepted at great that you do NOT like

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoeDaShom
Except for a few songs I can't get into Avenged Sevenfold

The singer can't sing outside of screaming, it's like no one ever told him that he ain't hitting the notes high enough.

Here's a U2 song that makes me sad to see where they are now...www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-10-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

oh yeah. there are exceptions to the theatrics...bowie does come to mind. frank zappa is another.
franks earlier shows had a lot of theatrics but the music was still prime.
i am talking twisted sister and a lot of the 80's hair bands
gwar
alice cooper...those types. just making up for the fact the music is not that good.

drumsrfun, one of the things that turned me off to van halen along with just not liking the music was hit attitude. back in the day when he started tapping, people would go crazy. tats the reason they went to the shows and tried to get into the front row...not only did they want to hear him tap but they wanted to see it. so, what does eddie do?
he turns around and puts his back to the audience...he didnt want people to take his 'moves'..
to me, thats not what it is all about. instead of turning around so people couldnt see he should have done whatevr he could to allow people to see it...share it...let people in on the secret..you know?
also, i like players that can play fast but i like it when they put it into musical context....cant explain it. i just dont feel that van halen did that.

owlbear....i agree. i cant stand elvis.
i do not like a single song of his....i dont like the way he dressed or the way he ripped off african music or the way he ate peanut butter and banana sammies on the toilet....i also hated his fat face. i still hate him and all the elvis impersonators out there...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The Ramones, Toby Kieth, Judas Priest, Smashing Pumpkins and Allanis Morissete(sp?)

I'm sure I could think of a bunch more.

ETA: I really can't stand Zakk Wylde. I once worked at an Ozzy/Rob Zombie concert and was standing just right of the stage watching him play. Not only was his technique annoying, but he liked to spit on people in the audience.
edit on 10/14/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Smashing Pumpkins

Blasphemy!!

Some of the best compositions ever to grace existence, a kick ass drummer...well, I can understand the voice isn't everybody's cup of tea. I couldn't stand it at first but after I got used to it, I discovered an amazing band.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Like many of the bands listed in this thread, they may have a song or two that I may enjoy, but I doubt it. Like you said, not my cup o tea.

Billy Corgan is too much of a douche for my liking and he sounds like a whiny biotch! I hate whiny singers....and autotune.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm another member of the Anti-Rush League, loathe U2 for the usual reasons, and shudder every time the Mrs drones on about how awesome Nine Inch Nails are.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

im an anti zakk guy too.

first off i dont know when he transformed into a beer swilling biker type when he used to look like a lady man with his tight stone wash pants. he was either fake then or he is fake now...
i hate his spiral pattern guitar....i especially hate the way he uses pinch harmonics every 12 seconds....

while we are at it how about dragon force?
herman li especially. i can not believe they are/were as popular as that are. all their video game noises and dice bombs(dime bag should be the only person allowed to dive bomb)..ha
they cant play their stuff live either...thing is, the fans know that but still love them.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
just loath ( in no particular order)

Stevie Nicks, great writer, sucky singer
Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, Rusted root , all variations on a theme, they just aren't as clever as they think they are.
The Beatles
Bjork, I would give anything to hear her do some of the 1940's-50's standards! Since she's still doing screechy/whiney "art" she made the list.
Techno-anything.....just N.O.
Sting....kudo's for being authentic, but his stuff is too high pitched for my taste....nails on chalkboard.
Genisis
Sheryl Crow, just can't get into it

Let the tomato tossing commence.....ROFL There's more but maybe later. Nope!!! it's never too late to be hatin'on Yanni

edit on 14-10-2014 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2014 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Ya, pinch harmonics are too widely used these days. Dimebag and bands like Five Finger Death Punch know how to use it tastefully, but now it's gone too far with most bands.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: theMediator

Like many of the bands listed in this thread, they may have a song or two that I may enjoy, but I doubt it. Like you said, not my cup o tea.

Billy Corgan is too much of a douche for my liking and he sounds like a whiny biotch! I hate whiny singers....and autotune.

Okay...I do have to come out in defense of the Pumpkins...is Billy nasally? Yeah...so is tom petty, both are incredibly talented.

I've been following them since '89, though, and really think they only have two stinkers of albums, and one was because of production. Curious to hear what Tommy Lee is going to bring to Corgan's guitar work. He is weird, was a headcase for a while, but he was thrust into a limelight he was unprepared for...like Notch or Pen Ward...
now he spends his time helping out a tea house, finding homes for cats, and has the wrestling thing he set up for his autistic brother, he's more grounded now.
edit on 14-10-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I love this thread! I agree with almost everyone and its hard to add to what has been presented.

Ozzie Osborne...horrible!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LoneGunMan

While i think Sabbath are awesome, Ozzy's "work" afterwards was and is turgid.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Five finger death punch are a bunch of morons.

Dime, however, was the overlord, may he riff in peace.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Like I said, just not my cup of tea. I respect other's tastes and hope they respect mine. While my tastes cover many different genres, I happen to be a big fan of funk and some disco. But I'm a bass player, so I'm biased.

a reply to: TrueBrit

Ya, 5 finger is a bunch of morons and their latest albums have been pretty generic and "cookie-cutter" in my opinion, in regards to good metal. But their first album had a few good songs that are worth listening to.

By the way, was their anything to the claims that Dimbag stole riffs from other players?

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

No, I do not believe so.

I am of the understanding, that he is the most emulated guitar player in his sub genre. He is plagiarised, but not a plagiarist, as far as I know.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Just wondering.

I'd have to say that Pantera was one of the best metal bands there ever was. Not only did they have Dimbag, but his brother Vinny Paul was a hell of a drummer.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I gotta say I never did like the Grateful Dead.

Not really annoying, just supremely boring.

I also thought "Catcher in the Rye" was a whiny piece of drivel but that's another thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Speaking of the new wave of re-metal that is popping up. Not a fan of Avenged Seven Fold. I loved Iron Maiden in the eighties - I don't need to hear a mediocre Iron Maiden reenactment thirty five years later.

Oh and another that will probably get me hammered - I am not a fan of Dream Theater. Yes, I know they are amazing musicians, especially Portnoy - but they just don't click with me.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Any emo, bland warbling crud with eyeliner and boohoo lyrics to morbid bs repetitive guitar that gets marketed to tweens and still somehow keeps them as adults.. f.o.a.d. horrible. And crap like system of a down, fear factory etc. Untalented out of tune rubbish.

Gimme hatebreed any day..

Linkin Park makes my ears cry..

Too much to mention...

edit on 14-10-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
John Cougar Mellencamp. I've never understood why he is so well-received. His music always seemed aimed at adult audiences of the type that dont really listen to music recreationally. Hurt so good... c'mon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join