It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAKE UP, DR. FRIEDEN: CDC head criticized for blaming Ebola 'protocol breach' on infected nurse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is less than impressed with how Dr. Frieden, head of the CDC, is handling the Ebola outbreak in Dallas. [Excerpt]: "You don't scapegoat and blame when you have a disease outbreak," said Bonnie Castillo, a registered nurse and a disaster relief expert at National Nurses United, which serves as both a union and a professional association for U.S. nurses. "We have a system failure. That is what we have to correct."

I couldn't agree more. Here's my post from yesterday addressing CDC' s insane response to this latest crisis:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

More, here:

Monday, October 13, 2014

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Some healthcare experts are bristling at the assertion by a top U.S. health official that a “protocol breach” caused a Dallas nurse to be infected with Ebola while caring for a dying patient, saying the case instead shows how far the nation’s hospitals are from adequately training staff to deal with the deadly virus.

Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, made the declaration on Sunday at a news conference and called for an investigation into how the unidentified nurse became infected while caring for Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan, the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States. Duncan died last week at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Full article here: in.mobile.reuters.com...
edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:10:37 -0500pm31010 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:16:38 -0500pm31610 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:23:53 -0500pm32310 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:25:14 -0500pm32510 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:26:09 -0500pm32610 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:39:49 -0500pm33910 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This was already posted when it happened...and maybe a few other times since. Search is your friend. By the way, he already back peddled too.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

You are wrong. This particular article, included at bottom of post, did not show up in a search. Why? Because it was just published today. It is that article I am sharing here, for those interested. Next time, perhaps read the entire post before policing my threads. - Namaste.
edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:35:56 -0500pm33510 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You totally changed your thread. You first used the original blaming the nurse one. And changed it to this.But you are still behind as Friedan has apologized. Have fun reposting old news and back peddling yourself like Friedan did.

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
CDC head criticized for blaming 'protocol breach' as nurse gets Ebola

Some experts also question the CDC’s assertion that any U.S. hospital should be prepared to treat an Ebola patient as the outbreak ravaging West Africa begins to spread globally. Given the level of training required to do the job safely, U.S. health authorities should consider designating a hospital in each region as the go-to facility for Ebola, they said.

"You don't scapegoat and blame when you have a disease outbreak," said Bonnie Castillo, a registered nurse and a disaster relief expert at National Nurses United, which serves as both a union and a professional association for U.S. nurses. "We have a system failure. That is what we have to correct."

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I did not "totally change" my post. I added THE DATE that the article was published (TODAY), so that other people would not be as confused as you apparently were. NOTHING ELSE WAS CHANGED.

I have been on ATS less than a week. I could care less what you think about my post. If you are a moderator (and I sincerely hope that you are not, for reasons that should be obvious - your comment was so very snarky and juvenile), then feel free to delete this post that you apparently find so offensive. If you are not a moderator, then please, bug off.

Oh, and by the way, thank you for the warm welcome to ATS. I can see, judging by your brash and overconfident manner (so similar to Dr. Frieden's, by the way). that you consider yourself to be an authority on what should and should not be published on this site. You have lots and lots of stars, after all, so I guess you feel entitled to do so. However, you are not entitled to lie about my edits and distort reality. There is enough reality distortion going on now over at the CDC.

edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:19:47 -0500pm51910 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:22:33 -0500pm52210 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
You totally changed your thread. You first used the original blaming the nurse one. And changed it to this.But you are still behind as Friedan has apologized. Have fun reposting old news and back peddling yourself like Friedan did.

Thank you! Too many of these Ebola threads popping up. Seems like the OP does not know or understand to either use the search feature or the new topics tab to look and see if there is another thread already. Btw, there are six edits on the OP, good catch!

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Five edits were made prior to Lucidwhatever's ridiculous critique, to add a link, to fix auto correct mutations, etc. Only one edit occurred after your friend's comment: I added the date of the article, as stated in my replies to your pal, above. That you imagine I am an unethical, devious person says a lot about you, and nothing about me.

Who made you the authority on how many posts on Ebola should be written? This post has nine flags thus far, and seems to be well received, despite the best efforts of you and your crony. Bullies are easy to recognize. How unfortunate that they are alive and well on ATS.

I leave it to the moderators to moderate. Why don't you? Given that 70 people cared for Patient Zero and they still don't know how that poor nurse got infected, I'd say it's safe to bet there'll be lots and lots of Ebola posts flooding the sacred virtual halls of ATS. Good luck policing them all...

BTW, here is proof that only ONE edit (the addition of the date article written) occurred after your buddy's comment. You can clearly see she complained about my post at 3:28, and only the one aforementioned edit occurred on my end after that. Case closed. And an apology from you both is not at all necessary, but would, of course, be appreciated.

Edit string, below. Namaste.

Full article here: in.mobile.reuters.com...
edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:10:37 -0500pm31010 by bludragin because: (no reason given)
edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:16:38 -0500pm31610 by bludragin because: (no reason given)
edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:23:53 -0500pm32310 by bludragin because: (no reason given)
edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:25:14 -0500pm32510 by bludragin because: (no reason given)
edit on bMonday00000013Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:26:09 -0500pm32610 by bludragin because: (no reason given)
edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:39:49 -0500pm33910 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

Bludragin: Writing About Ebola Since Day One ~Lucidity

Mood: Flatline
Member is offline.
11,657 1,715
18,774 150 26

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:28 PM link quote reply This was already posted when it happened...and maybe a few other times since. Search is your friend. By the way, he already back peddled too.
edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 22:56:06 -0500pm105610 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

edit on bMondayu13Mon, 13 Oct 2014 23:00:43 -0500pm110010 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
to be fair if she came in contact with bodily fluids she was probably in breach of protocol
i cant imagine they would be so incompetent as to have protocols that leave room for fluid contact
(thats not supposed to be happening regardless of whether or not the patient is thought to have ebola)
edit on 14-10-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I find it funny how so many members harp on others about not using the search function, if they had used it themselves they would know that it barely works. You have a better chance finding a deal on a Honda than you would finding a thread you were looking for.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
CIDRIP published a commentary challenging CDC's current protocols. They are recommending Biolevel 4 gear for healthcare workers. Currently, the CDC is recommending Biolevel 2 gear, which is what the nurse in Dallas was wearing when she contracted Ebola from Patient Zero in Dallas.
www.cidrap.umn.edu...
edit on bTuesday00000014Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:13:58 -0500am111310 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

This commentary from the CIDRIP will interest you:
www.cidrap.umn.edu...
edit on bTuesdayu14Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:13:29 -0500am111310 by bludragin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Few parts from your source that more or less confirm what I said in the other thread.

This agrees that the nurse did not follow protocol.

CDC spokesman Tom Skinner said the agency is still investigating the case of the Dallas nurse, but stressed that "meticulous adherence to protocols" is critical in handling Ebola. "One slight slip can result in someone becoming infected."

This is about training them to follow protocol (that they should already know really).

Sean Kaufman, president of Behavioral-Based Improvement Solutions in Atlanta, helped train healthcare staff at a special isolation unit at Atlanta's Emory University which treated U.S. aid workers Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, the first two Ebola patients to be treated on U.S. soil.

He would observe the nurses and doctors as they cared for patients and keep detailed notes when someone would accidentally touch their sleeve or mask with an infected glove.

Again talking about infections coming from errors not following the guidelines.

"Doctors and nurses get lost in patient care. They do things that put themselves at risk because their lens is patient-driven," Kaufman said. In Dallas, "I suspect no one was watching to make sure the people who were taking care of the patients were taking care of themselves," he said.

With that said, Ebola is so serious that more than simply "good enough" precautions should be the norm, because mistakes DO happen and precautions should account for that to minimize infection after a mistake.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'd like to see the CDC reformed. What's your thoughts on my post here?www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bludragin
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'd like to see the CDC reformed. What's your thoughts on my post here?www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have a wait and see approach, mistakes were made, I am interested to see how/if they correct them.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bludragin

Do not let a couple of harsh comments get you all buggered up. Many posters including myself are snarky sometimes. You think these threads are harsh try posting in the Ukraine or Mideast threads............Oh my.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Do not let a couple of harsh comments get you all buggered up. Many posters including myself are snarky sometimes. You think these threads are harsh try posting in the Ukraine or Mideast threads............Oh my.

Thanks. It's my first week here, and I nearly left. But I've gotten some wonderful, supportive, encouraging private and public messages from people like you, so I think I'll stick around.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Thanks. It's my first week here, and I nearly left. But I've gotten some wonderful, supportive, encouraging private and public messages from people like you, so I think I'll stick around.

My opinion is that what you are saying is not outlandish, and you appear to be open to opinions. That makes you better than the majority of ATS posters .. again, my opinion.

I mean you are posting about ineptitude of the CDC ... other Ebola topics I have seen claim there is no Ebola, it's not a virus, doesn't exist, and the Red Cross is making people sick to steal the gold in Africa and force Americans to get more vaccines.

ATS needs more of your posts, less of those other ones. My opinion again.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

My opinion is that what you are saying is not outlandish, and you appear to be open to opinions. That makes you better than the majority of ATS posters .. again, my opinion.

I mean you are posting about ineptitude of the CDC ... other Ebola topics I have seen claim there is no Ebola, it's not a virus, doesn't exist, and the Red Cross is making people sick to steal the gold in Africa and force Americans to get more vaccines.

ATS needs more of your posts, less of those other ones. My opinion again.

Appreciate the encouragement. Just added you as a friend.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well, here are just the facts. The nurse called the CDC and told them she had a 99.5 degree temperature. She called them not once, not twice but SEVERAL times. The CDC told her that she should fly anyway because her temperature wasn't 100.4. Then they have the audacity to to blame her?

<<   2 >>

join