It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Lies About Marijuana That Won't Die Easy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Thanks for reading the article
You clearly are someone who is against it and doesn't know much about the truth and doesn't care to know much about the truth.

Btw: I'm a girl and I think it's a bad idea to assume someone's gender.
Yes I'm an advocate for medicinal cannabis as I personally know 10 people in my support group (chronic illness support group) who have a legal prescription for cannabis use and it helps them greatly. I have also read studies of people being cured from cancers because of cannabis. I've been following this for many years so I am very educated on the subject.

"9 percent of people who use marijuana will develop dependence at some point in their lives, compared with 15 percent for alcohol, 17 percent for coc aine, 23 percent for heroin, and 32 percent for tobacco. "

It’s true that most people are worse drivers high than sober. It’s also true that very regular smokers tend to show little cognitive deficit on the road, as was demonstrated in Sanjay Gupta’s Weed documentary. Hall’s study found that high drivers were twice as likely to get into an accident than their sober counterparts. There are two major issues with this finding, one of context, and the other of presentation. The conclusion steps over a host of contextual factors, namely how high the driver is and his or her tolerance. The other issue is in how this data is presented: a twofold increase in the likelihood of an accident isn’t especially large when the odds for most people to get into a car crash are quite low. In 2012, Americans got in 1.13 fatal car crashes per 100 million miles driven (this number has drunk drivers baked in, removing them should drop the figure below 1 death per 100 million miles). The average driver can double that rate and still consider herself quite safe. Stoned driving should be discouraged, but there is no sense in thinking of it as a major public health issue.

It’s 2014, and we’re still hearing about the gateway effect. People who use hard drugs are very likely to have tried cannabis first, but the suggestion that smoking pot causes hard drug use falls to the first lesson of any statistics class: correlation is not causality. Pot, being the most popular and available illicit drug, tends to be the one that people try first. Furthermore, gateway theory advocates consistently omit alcohol from their calculations, as if there could be no connection between legal and illegal drugs. Virtually everyone who has tried any recreational drug, marijuana included, has had a drink at some point in their life. Many of them have had a cigarette or two as well. So why is the gateway label never attached to alcohol? Because the people still making noise about the gateway theory have an agenda, and they are willing to ignore logic to push it.
Seems like you might have an agenda...

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Used judiciously, it's a great intellectual tool. It's amazing.
Use it all the time, and your overdoing it.

There are a grat many things you could apply that statement to.

A very close freind and good man once told me his motto was

"everything in moderation including moderation"

He died of a drug overdose at the age of 31 but I still beleive the motto has merit.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
ColeYounger said it perfectly.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'll agree to all of these being lies if you will agree that the whole pot legalization movement is just about people wanting to use it for recreation and get stoned.

Just like the whole alcohol prohibition thing where people just wanted to drink recreationally and get drunk?
edit on 11-10-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

The brain is an amazing thing, the more you do things while high, the more it trains your brain. You can eventually perform the same task high to the same level of perfection you do when your not high. (ie: Math, intellectual discussions) If you just sit around stoned and not using your brain, it's going to have an effect but that's along the lines of "use it or lose it"

I too have seen people who can concentrate better high than they can not high. It helps them focus and they are able to function better.

Cannabis effects everyone differently and that is what we need to keep in mind. We can't just assume that because it effects one person one way, that it will do the same for everyone else. I know people who become energized when they smoke it and if they don't smoke it they are fatigued and can't do anything at all.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Maybe for some but not for all. It depends on what the person is adding to it, like if they spray it with Sprite (pop) to make the crystal look better. It also depends on how well they take the chemicals off the plant too.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Yet because of the legalization of cannabis in some of the U.S states, the cartels are starting to switch from cannabis to heroin Tracing the U.S. heroin surge back south of the border as Mexican cannabis output falls

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

it is true though, moderation is the key!

You also want to make sure that if you are going to do anything, you want it to be the purest they can be, not done in by idiots who think they are chemists or genetically modified, etc

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Not necessarily true with cannabis.

Your brain has an amazing ability to adapt to cannabis so that the more times you perform a task while high, the better you become. Eventually it gets to the point that you can perform a task to the same degree you can when your not high.

My Dad is 54 and has been smoking pot since he was a teenager, he's not stupid or have any psychological issues. That being said, it's not the same for everyone.

Everything, cannabis/diseases/alcohol/caffeine, effects everyone differently.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

I have seen people go insane because they didn't their weed. While the physical addiction might be mild the psychological addiction is very strong.

I have been in marijuana related crashes where the only factor was either driving to fast with too slow of reflexes or driving too slow and getting rear ended by a person driving normal speed. Unlike my lack of choice as a child, as an adult i will not get in the car with someone who has smoked weed, there is no difference between that, drunk driving or driving under the influence of certain pills.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

That's a part of it. Plenty of people want to use cannabis for fun and relaxation and not be considered criminals, but it's not even remotely true that it's 'just' about people wanting to use it for recreation. If that were the case, explain the popularity of low THC, high CBD strains. THC is the compound most responsible for the 'high' associated with cannabis use, and some MEDICAL users wish to go without those effects.
edit on 10/11/2014 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

did you read the article? Both those things are addressed in it. This all stems from a study that was done over 20yrs on recreational cannabis use.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

That is true about people wanting strains with lower to no THC content, Charlotte's Web is one of those. However, studies show that the best way to get the full medicinal benefit from cannabis, you have to use all of the plant.

I also think about people who drink alcohol recreationally, have sex recreationally, snort coc aine recreationally. Not everyone is addicted to the things they do. If you get the purest, cleanest form and you do it in a safe way, (that means being in a Safe Injection Site where trained professionals can help you)

If you are an addict, you should still have to go to a Safe Injection Site and be offered counseling/rehab if you want it. We shouldn't make addicts have to resort to black markets and unsafe substances.

((Mods: I hope I didn't violate T&C with this post, I know I said some inappropriate words but it is in appropriate context to the subject at hand. We need to take back the power and have people be safe & get help))

(post by plube removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

LIKE HELL!
It is VERY effective for PTSD as well and anxiety issues as well as some pain.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: plube

All drugs should be legal and controlled. If you want to use a drug you have to go to a Safe Injection site where medical professionals can be on hand & you get the cleanest purest form of whatever drug you are addicted to. Counseling should be offered and it should be free.

This also helps take away some of the appeal to the younger kids because suddenly drugs aren't taboo and it's not a way to rebel anymore.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

What about other people who do things recreationally like drinking, sex, etc? Why should cannabis be any different?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

ATTENTION PLEASE

NO personal use discussion

NONE

ZIP

NADA

(Do not reply to this post either)

Thanks

Semper

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The simple fact is, the "driving while high causes accidents" claim can not be tested or proven because there is no way to measure a person's level of impairment. The tests can only prove that the person used marijuana at some point in the previous few days to few months.

You can throw out the entire "driving while high" argument based on this alone. It would be the same as handing out DUI's to everyone who's had an alcoholic beverage in the last few months.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
[MOD EDIT] after some negative experiences I am very ANTI drugs today.

The idea to drive a car while high seems to me utterly absurd. The thought that people are actually seriously just even THINKING to drive while high....just blows my mind. But I am not surprised anymore. This society gets more stupid and ignorant by the day so I am not surprised that people are advocating it's "cool" to smoke/be high and drive. Whoever wrote this list obviously just proved that MJ indeed kills brain cells. Enough said.
edit on 10/11/2014 by semperfortis because: Removed T&C Infraction

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join