It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Lies About Marijuana That Won't Die Easy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
a reply to: Xtrozero

How about before you make a comment about the subject at hand, you read the articles. Then read every single post I have said since.

Once you have done so, come back and contribute to the discussion.

Why don't you read every post I have ever made then you know where I'm coming from..

Enjoy you little subject here, I'll move along

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It sure is amazing how people can read one sentence and know everything about your feelings on a subject.
Since you don't i will fill in the blanks.
I think pot should be legal.
I think all drugs should be legal. "With age restrictions for minors"
I think pot has many positive benefits.
I think alcohol does more damage.
I think most users will be recreational and you are lying to yourself if you don't think thats true.
Now get off your high horses.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Sorry but it is stupid to comment on something when you haven't read the article. Even each post that I have said in this thread since I created the topic, backs what I have been saying.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Well when you word things the way you did, you should expect the reactions you got. It's like complaining that the dog bit you because you were yanking on it's tale.

I'm not denying that there are those who will be using it recreationally but to make the claim you did that it is only for recreational users

the whole pot legalization movement is just about people wanting to use it for recreation and get stoned
is asinine.
edit on 10 11 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: Sabiduria

I've always hated marijuana being referred to as "The Gateway Drug." I've always looked at alcohol as being the real "Gateway Drug."

Amen sister. I don't know ANYONE who smoked pot who didn't have a drink first.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare
a reply to: babybunnies
Driving done by occasional smokers and beginners is somewhat unsafe but veteran smokers drive better while high IMO.

This is why you can't be taken seriously. Drunk people also drive and talk fine ... in their opinion.
1,2, and 3 are basically not up for debate, they are true.

4 you can debate.

5 you can debate.

Pot is not safe, but I am against it's current classification.

ETA: Here is some substance, although you MJ white knights don't care about facts.

1. It IS addictive. 9% become addictive, about 17% who start smoking young become addicted, an d up to 50% of daily users become addicted.

Anthony, J.; Warner, L.A.; and Kessler, R.C. Comparative epidemiology of dependence on tobacco, alcohol, controlled substances, and inhalants: Basic findings from the National Comorbidity Survey. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 2:244–268, 1994.

Hall, W.; and Degenhardt, L. Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use. Lancet 374:1383–1391, 2009.

Hall, W. The adverse health effects of cannabis use: What are they, and what are their implications for policy? Int J of Drug Policy 20:458–466, 2009

www.webmd.com...

2. There is another thread on the subject where information can be found, no desire to rehash information already posted so people can ignore it again.

3. Heavy use ....

Heavy marijuana use as a teenager may cause changes in brain structure that resemble schizophrenia

www.futurity.org...

Even casual MJ use "MAY" changes the brain. (correlative not causative study)

www.sfn.org...

4. Research on twins points to it being a gateway drug.

Lynskey, M.T.; Heath, A.C.; Bucholz, K.K.; Slutske, W.S.; Madden, P.A.; Nelson, E.C.; Statham, D.J.; and Martin, N.G. Escalation of drug use in early-onset cannabis users vs. co-twin controls. JAMA 289(4):427–433, 2003.
edit on 12-10-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Specific to #4 (the gateway effect): I see that is possible from an aspect different than the government's.

They tell you it's bad. They tell you you'll go to jail for using it. You try it and discover neither is true for you. Then, you take a look at all the Rock & Roll stars glamorizing their own lifestyles ...

This stuff always seems to happen when the government gets into people's personal business. This is a family and community issue. The Feds need to take a giant step backwards and let the states do their best. All the Feds are doing is throwing gas on a fire ... and we're paying for it.

And ... why are the Feds in the mix ... well, because Big Evil Pharma pays your elected rep to vote that way.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Sabiduria
1. Pot is addictive

Those I know who smoke pot, smoke a lot of it... hmmm

2. High people cause car crashes

Ok....you do not have lower reaction time, and lower situational awareness?

3. Marijuana causes brain damage.

Not sure many say this, but it is said that the THC stays in you for weeks at a time, and though you are not high as per say, your slower in your thought processes as long as THC is still in you.

4. The gateway effect.

ALL drugs are gateways no big deal here...if a person is willing to some pot then they are most likely willing to do other ones to get that better high...

5. Pot makes you stupid

See No. 3

See your answer to 4, then look at 5 and tell me, what is your excuse?
edit on 12-10-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I have a theory that applies to any kind of deception in society of this kind, about drugs, religion, mental disorders and illnesses etc.

I think that civilization cannot exist without a hierarchy and to maintain the hierarchy it is necessary to deceive. I think it's not all black and white. It might be part of the plan of creation. Take the Catholic Church as an example. How could you spread any message at all to a huge number of people without tremendous exertion of power? I even think that the exertion of power in and of itself is key to enlightenment. Psychiatry is similar. You have to have groupthink in order to have a functioning society. Any person who begins to see through the groupthink will inevitably be seen as mentally disordered or ill. It always was that way. That's why madness and spiritual initiation are two sides of the same coin. I believe the physical plane with it's hierarchy exists only for the purpose of correcting sin and egoism, and that is done this way. If it wasn't for the burning down of forests you wouldn't be able to read in newspapers about the burning down of forests.
edit on 261031Sun, 12 Oct 2014 05:26:45 -0500201445pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-12T05:26:45-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Isn't marijuana smoke just as bad as say smoking cigarettes? According to my health class it is. There are positives and negatives to everything.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JoeDaShom

It's better to eat or drink it. Or vaporize. As you might know. When I did it I also for some reason felt that doing it with other people was to pervert it. Don't know how many others felt that. Might have something to do with the mindset of the group or the environment being a bit perverted to begin with maybe. I also didn't like to use it a lot which is why I quit. But to each their own. I think doing it with other people might have given me some different perspectives though which might be good. I'm somewhat of a loner, or I guess I am a loner period, so that might be part of the explanation, I tend to feel that pretty much anything done in a group is perverted.
edit on 241031Sun, 12 Oct 2014 06:24:53 -0500201453pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-12T06:24:53-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'll agree to all of these being lies if you will agree that the whole pot legalization movement is just about people wanting to use it for recreation and get stoned.

Ignorant much?

Tell that to my friend who lives in pain, never gets a single decent nights sleep, takes endless medication and really benefits from medical marijuana. The only effect he is really interested in is pain relief.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Moderation like all things in life.

Too much of anything and we all get to point fingers and judge and evaluate our moral superiority.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Sabiduria

I've always hated marijuana being referred to as "The Gateway Drug." I've always looked at alcohol as being the real "Gateway Drug."

It is the "Gateway Drug" to self destruction. Pot can be if the person isn't of sound mind to begin with.

(post by MrNeo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'll agree to all of these being lies if you will agree that the whole pot legalization movement is just about people wanting to use it for recreation and get stoned.

Yes, clearly people who like to get stoned would rather do it without the legal implications. But "getting high" is obviously not the only use of marijuana. If you believe it is, that should be your problem, not everyone else's.

If it does become legal everywhere, can we get a spliff emoticon too mods?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

It is the "Gateway Drug" to self destruction.Pot can be if the person isn't of sound mind to begin with.

The same can be said of booze and alcohol is legal.

That isn't what "gateway drug" means though. You can't just change the meaning of a word to make it fit inside your viewpoint. The first drug most people try is alcohol, yet marijuana gets stuck with the stigma of being the gateway drug.

gateway drug definition:

Main Entry: gateway drug
Function: noun
Date: 1982
:a drug (as alcohol or marijuana) whose use is thought to lead to the use of and dependence on a harder drug

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
Yes, clearly people who like to get stoned would rather do it without the legal implications. But "getting high" is obviously not the only use of marijuana. If you believe it is, that should be your problem, not everyone else's.
If it does become legal everywhere, can we get a spliff emoticon too mods?

As it becomes legal I still see issues that in the end IMHO is going to be worst for the user than when it was illegal.

1. Companies will still have a zero policy and in the case where THC stays in your system a long time you will test positive for a long time, unlike alcohol where you can get drunk on Saturday and read zero on Monday.

2. What will be the test for DUI, I see for a good long while it will be just to test positive, so EVERYONE who smokes pot will get a DUI whenever there is a reason to test.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

That isn't what "gateway drug" means though. You can't just change the meaning of a word to make it fit inside your viewpoint. The first drug most people try is alcohol, yet marijuana gets stuck with the stigma of being the gateway drug.

One does not normally associate getting "drunk" as getting "high" too. With Drinking there is just one level of drunk, so people are not looking for the better drunk either. With drinking you are also not smoking alcohol, so the relationship of smoking pot then trying something with a better high that you also smoke really has zero connections with drinking.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join