It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian woman who recently returned to Queensland from Sierra Leone is being tested for ebola

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx
a reply to: khnum

Don't ingest blood, feces or vomit of an infected individual and you should be fine... It's actually that #ing easy.

These people who are getting sick had direct contact with the ill, and obviously ingested these materials as that's about the only way to get it.

So sneeze particles won't get someone sick?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Might need onw of them 'Ebola survival kits' of Ebay after all :/ all of this could be prevented! Thats what annoys me about this whole situation.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

only if they land on you.

edit
www.washingtonpost.com...

Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine and semen.

Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

edit on am224318092014-10-09T02:24:35-05:00022014p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Some Ebola experts worry virus may spread more easily than assumed
www.latimes.com...=1

If Ebola were to mutate on its path from human to human, said Russell and other scientists, its virulence might wane — or it might spread in ways not observed during past outbreaks, which were stopped after transmission among just two to three people, before the virus had a greater chance to evolve. The present outbreak in West Africa has killed approximately 3,400 people, and there is no medical cure for Ebola. "I see the reasons to dampen down public fears," Russell said. "But scientifically, we're in the middle of the first experiment of multiple, serial passages of Ebola virus in man.... God knows what this virus is going to look like. I don't."

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Right, whatever. Ebola isn't going to end up airbore. OK, whatever. OK. Have it your way, OK. Whatever.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

hey BellaGirl...

thanx for the heads-up...

stay safe

seeya

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I for one admit i don't believe what we are being told about what is safe and what is not. I must say i am stunned about the amount of people who are willing to swallow the official line.

Not every person who has contracted and died of Ebola is an uneducated villager in Africa. Just look at the number of health officials. Now these are educated people who know how to deal with this and they are being contaminated.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I agree! Im getting tired of seeing everywhere that one would have to ingest bodily fluids to catch the virus or 'lick it' as many people keep saying, obviously these health care workers are highly trained and every precaution possible would have been taken to make sure that they are not exposing them to any fluids etc, so clearly that way of thinking is flawed because here we have the other health care workers that definitely have been infected by it and they certainly didn't ingest any fluids or lick anything containing them :/ so on the other hand it could have been human error which caused the cases, and they somehow did come in contact with the fluid but i thonk if they had done so they would notice, and yeah they were taking every precaution, also they are majorly downplaying the fact that it could mutate and become airborne at any time, they keep stressing to everyone it would beentirely impossible for anyone to catch it off people without coming in contact or digesting fluids, clearly thats not entirely true but whatever keeps the sheeple happy and not panicking and making more work for the government.

I do hope this women does not have Ebola, the world needs people like her that are willing to do all they can to stop the spread of Ebola and help care for those suffering with it. Not nearly enough are willing to do that.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The fact that this women, and god bless her for doing the job that she did, was allowed back INTO australia after being in close proximity to the virus is bordering on criminal negligence.

Every country that does not have a case of ebola needs to shut their borders to ANYONE from a country with a reported case.

It might take 3 to 6 months to stop this thing spreading, but it might just save millions of lives.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The results came back negative, thankfully just another scare.
Link

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

I can't believe they identified the woman. She's on people's sht list.

What she did was endanger us all and she should be utterly ashamed of herself for playing the hero.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shana91aus
The results came back negative, thankfully just another scare.
Link

She is not cleared yet. she needs to be tested everyday for 3 to 5 days.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Oh really? I haven't read that anywhere only that she would be monitored for atleast 24 hours, and that she is still feeling unwell, sore throat etc. i know there is an initial test and generally another one but everywhere is doing their testing differently so its hard too keep track on who is testing how but they didn't mention any further tests. I hope she continues to isolate herself just in cass then.

From my link-

She added Ms Kovack would continue to be monitored for at least another 24 hours. “This is a necessary precaution given the patients has been to West Africa and has had a fever within the incubation period of 21 days,” Dr Young said. “For the sake of her health and to follow due diligence, we want to be sure she is clear of Ebola virus disease as well as any other disease.”

Dr Young said Ms Kovack’s fever was improving but she was still suffering symptoms including a sore throat and feeling generally unwell.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

She did everything the right way though and went straight home and isolated herself, well apart from her flatmate, she had to come home some time, so do all the people that are over there trying to stop this spread. Can't say id be comfortable travelling on a plane with her though honestly but im probably a bit over paranoid when it comes to dangerous diseases. But she came back and did all the right things to make sure no one was exposed unlike others in other countries that lie on the forms and don't isolate themselves!

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

The right thing is not to go in the first place.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

And not help contain the spread and help those suffering? Just let it go hey? yeah okay then..

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: idonthavemanyfriends

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I've had a friggin gut full of goody two shoes people travelling to help other people and bring back their disease which we then have to deal with!

Ban travel to and from these places now, if only to stop these bleeding hearts from getting the rest of the world sick - and dead.

I think thats a little bit harsh, and hard to do, IMO airlines can't and won't, completely isolate a country or part of the world. Money is money.
But I can concur that more organized humanitarian efforts would stop the spread of Ebola to all humanitarian harboring countries

Airlines?

The onus is on GOVERNMENTS to act BEFORE it's too late. How many more scares are we going to have in this country before they do something more drastic then increased screening at airports?

Harsh? Hardly. It's one life, compared to 23 million.
23 million people didn't choose to risk exposing them selves. She did. Why should the rest of us suffer because of her?

Why should their problem become our problem? People want to travel there and help? Cool, stay there until the whole thing blows over. If you survive, and our government confirms you are clear of any disease or virus, by all means come back home.

This woman, didn't she go through Perth airport, Melbourne airport, and finally Cairns airport?

That's tens of thousands of people who could have potentially have been exposed just in those airports.
Then add the tens of thousands more who would have come into contact with all those people at the airports.

Perth airport has connections with quite a few international destinations.
So does Melbourne. Melbourne also is on one of the busiest air passenger routes in the world(Melbourne-Sydney).
It also connects to practically every corner of Australia.

If she has it, we'll be dealing with a major nation wide emergency pretty soon.

She may have tested negative, but the 21 day incubation period isn't over yet.

Tony Abbott has shown some guts in following through with his promise to stop the boats.
Now lets see him show some guts and protect the rest of the country against do gooders who get their self satisfaction by going to the other side of the planet and helping the third world. Commendable as it is, people like that should not be coming back and potentially exposing the rest of the country to whatever disease and virus they've picked up from a region that's in the midst of the worst ebola outbreak in recorded history.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mortex

You do realise if these 'do gooders' don't go over thete and help contain Ebola then all those people they are helping save will die and it will go on to spread even more rapidly through the world don't you? The governments there are begging for help, but i guess because they are third world countrie they aren't important? If Australia was a third world country and it broke out here would you want Aid healthcare workers from other countries to come in and save as many of us as possible and to contain the virus? Or to leave us all too die horrific deaths and the virus just spiral out of control, people fleeing all around the globe that can afford it to seek better healthcare, the left rest to just auffer and die? Because thats the only alternative if these brave people don't go in and help stop the spread and save lives, im absolutely disgusted how some people think that its okay to just leave them all there to die, yes they could stop the flights coming out of there or set up quarantines where people who are going to fly out have to be tested and cleared before leaving, theres many things they could do but leaving them all to die and the disease to spread globally is inhumane. obviously they can't stay there until it blows over we can't even see the end yet, she was just trying to do her part, she did everything correctly she quarantined herself in her home since arriving back in Australia to prevent any risk of exposing others if indeed she was infected with Ebola. As soon as she developed a fever she admitted herself to hospital right away.

Not only has she demonstrated the self sacrificing behaviour that we as Australians should be proud of, but she has been incredibly diligent in protecting others, she took every precaution she possibly could, she deserves to be able to return home its not like she was careless.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Hang on, they don;t have their own medical staff there? Exactly how bloody backwards are they?

I mean, they eat ebola monkeys, so I shouldn't really be surprised. But seriously - if they are going to get themselves sick on monkey meat, harsh as it sounds - fence them all off and let them sort it out. It wouldn't spread if we all weren't running off over there trying to be friggin heroes and then coming home with a nice case of the plague.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shana91aus

And not help contain the spread and help those suffering? Just let it go hey? yeah okay then..

Um...yes! You can't save everyone. God almighty, you bleeding hearts will cause the #ing apocalypse.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join