It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian woman who recently returned to Queensland from Sierra Leone is being tested for ebola

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Queensland health authorities are investigating another suspected Ebola case.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young says a 57-year-old woman who has been in Sierra Leone has been in isolation since she returned after developing a low grade fever.

She is currently being tested for Ebola disease.

The nurse, who was working as a Red Cross volunteer, has been in home isolation since her return, Dr Young told reporters in Brisbane.

- See more at: www.skynews.com.au...

Australian woman who recently returned to Queensland from Sierra Leone is being tested for ebola

Just breaking here in Australia. This so far is not even being reported by mainstream news organizations. It seems as though we may have our first.

This story is now just breaking on the sky news channel. Seems as though she was over there helping and has returned. will try to find more details and update this post.

I find it funny that they say "another".....this is the first to be tested that i have heard of. Can any other aussies confirm hearing of other tests ????
edit on 9-10-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This might be the Queen Street Mall in 6 months

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
First of all, what do you mean it's not being reported by main stream media?
YOUR SOURCE IS MAIN STREAM MEDIA.
I saw it on ABC 24. I saw it on a NewsCorp site as well.

And this is like the 2nd incident where someone is suspected of having Ebola in Australia upon returning from West Africa. The first was a lady in Perth. She was cleared though. Hopefully this woman is cleared as well.
Queensland is probably one of the worst places you'd want something like that to start. So many Australian's from every corner of the country visit Queensland.

I don't bloody understand why there isn't a travel ban on the very least the affected countries over there.
I'm not sure there are direct flights there out of Australia, but flights there and connecting flights should be banned, passengers on such flights or who have spent any time in those affected countries should all be banned from going anywhere.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

They tested a guy on the Gold Coast awhile back, I made a thread when it popped up (sorry I am too lazy to go find it)

I was reading before that this lady had put herself in self quarantine as soon as she got home just in case, and was checking her temps regularly, noticed a rise and contacted the hospital to ask what to do - they reckon results by this arvo or tomorrow at latest. They said she'd not had ANY contact with anyone since she put herself in quarantine on Sunday, if that's the case, thumbs up for being responsible and erring on the side of caution!

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mortex

well.."mortex"...what i meant is that the first it was being reported was on twitter as a breaking news story. I actually had to wait for it to appear on a website rather than using twitter as my source.

edit on 9-10-2014 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

BREAKING: AN urgent medical assessment is being carried out at Cairns Hospital on a Queensland woman showing possible symptoms of the Ebola virus.

The state’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr Jeanette Young, said the 57-year-old nurse had returned to Australia on Tuesday after spending a month working at an Ebola hospital in Sierra Leone.

Dr Young said a sample of the woman’s blood was being rushed from Cairns to Brisbane to be tested for the virus but the results would not be known until late night or early tomorrow morning.

[url=http://www.news.com.au/national/qld-nurse-being-treated-for-possible-ebola-virus-health-authorities-confirm/story-fncynjr2-1227085359616]Link[/ur l]

“The community has absolutely nothing to worry about because the Ebola virus is very difficult to transmit — you need to be exposed to secretions such as vomit, diarrhoea or blood and she doesn’t have any symptoms. There is absolutely no concern for any passenger on that plane, there is no risk to anyone on that plane.”
(From above link)

That makes me feel much better, I guess there is nothing to worry about now, Dr. Young. (Sarcasm)

edit on 9/10/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

thanks for your help mate with more sources.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: bellagirl

well.."mortex"...what i meant is that the first it was being reported was on twitter as a breaking news story. I actually had to wait for it to appear on a website rather than using twitter as my source.

I am now currently watching the channel 10 news and so far we are 3 stories in and its not yet been mentioned.

Well.."bellagirl"..what you said was it's not being reported on mainstream media, yet you used a mainstream source.
I don't see any twitter links in your post.
Maybe that's what the edit is about..in which case, maybe you should have done further editing so your personal remarks reflected the updated/edited post with the mainstream source.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I've had a friggin gut full of goody two shoes people travelling to help other people and bring back their disease which we then have to deal with!

Ban travel to and from these places now, if only to stop these bleeding hearts from getting the rest of the world sick - and dead.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: bkaust

They tested a guy on the Gold Coast awhile back, I made a thread when it popped up (sorry I am too lazy to go find it)

I was reading before that this lady had put herself in self quarantine as soon as she got home just in case, and was checking her temps regularly, noticed a rise and contacted the hospital to ask what to do - they reckon results by this arvo or tomorrow at latest. They said she'd not had ANY contact with anyone since she put herself in quarantine on Sunday, if that's the case, thumbs up for being responsible and erring on the side of caution!

if she was erring on the side of caution she bloody wouldn't have gone there in the first place. Stupid woman.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: mortex

originally posted by: bellagirl

I am now currently watching the channel 10 news and so far we are 3 stories in and its not yet been mentioned.

Well.."bellagirl"..what you said was it's not being reported on mainstream media, yet you used a mainstream source.
I don't see any twitter links in your post.
Maybe that's what the edit is about..in which case, maybe you should have done further editing so your personal remarks reflected the updated/edited post with the mainstream source.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I'll share what i posted on the other thread of the same topic, for those interested:

Here's a media statement from the government concerning the case.

Sky News Australia released the image in question. I don't want to say it's Ebola, but considering the individual involved was just over there treating Ebola victims, i'm fairly certain it is.
edit on 9-10-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I've had a friggin gut full of goody two shoes people travelling to help other people and bring back their disease which we then have to deal with!

Ban travel to and from these places now, if only to stop these bleeding hearts from getting the rest of the world sick - and dead.

I think thats a little bit harsh, and hard to do, IMO airlines can't and won't, completely isolate a country or part of the world. Money is money.
But I can concur that more organized humanitarian efforts would stop the spread of Ebola to all humanitarian harboring countries

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum
Queensland needs an enema

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Well I dont know about the whole state but if you gave our beloved Premier an enema you could fit whats left in a shoebox.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bkaust

thanks mate. Just been reading about it now. was a little pre occupied with my team being in the grand final on the weekend and celebrating.

seems as though he had no ebola contact but has returned a positive test for malaria.

I fully agree...thumbs up to her for taking the precautions that she has. I worry the next one wont.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Don't ingest blood, feces or vomit of an infected individual and you should be fine... It's actually that #ing easy.

These people who are getting sick had direct contact with the ill, and obviously ingested these materials as that's about the only way to get it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: idonthavemanyfriends

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I think thats a little bit harsh, and hard to do, IMO airlines can't and won't, completely isolate a country or part of the world. Money is money.
But I can concur that more organized humanitarian efforts would stop the spread of Ebola to all humanitarian harboring countries

Harsh? Yes, it is. The right thing to do? Absolutely.

It has nothing to do with airlines and everything to do with our useless governments. If this spreads it is because they let it spread.

I also agree with you that dedicated teams to assist should be mobilized - if they are prepared to accept the consequences of going to affected areas.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

Don't ingest blood, feces or vomit of an infected individual and you should be fine... It's actually that #ing easy.

These people who are getting sick had direct contact with the ill, and obviously ingested these materials as that's about the only way to get it.

I am sorry but i think you are wrong.

The more health officials that contract this must lead to a review of ppe procedures, as they dont seem to be working.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

actualy its a little harder than you think, considering that people are infectious as soon as symptoms appear and they are cold and flue like and the virus lives in the blood/fluid which is

Filamentous 970 nm long for Ebolavirus. Diameter is about 80nm. Negative-stranded RNA linear genome, about 18-19 kb in size. Encodes for seven proteins.

very small, you only need the smallest particle of blood un seeable to the eye, say coughed into a hand and placed on a hand rail for you to pick up and ingest. this goes for fluid and feces.
we are dealing with microns people that can live outside the host waiting to be picked up by another host, you dont have to be sprayed by blood and fluid and feces like some stupid horror movie.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join