It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How well can you cook? Which of these 4 catagories applies to you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skada
Yeah, we do give him strict recipes to follow at first and then when we taste or sit to feed we will critique it and theorize how to make it better next time. It is a good exercise in always improving your food.

Let us take the humble sandwich for example. We strive to teach my son that just because you make a sandwich, it should not just be meat and cheese between bread. Go get fresh basil, some fresh green onions, dressing instead of mustard, add some other spices to that mundane meal and make it extra-ordinary. Something that you would take to school and not trade it for anything at the table between friends. This is the mode of thinking in our house when it comes to the kitchen. It would seem that that particular room is where most of our family happenings are centered.

It's the same here, part food preperation part science lab part family room.

If I make a sandwich I try to make the best sandwich ever made. I have no time for the mundane, life is too short.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

No, she doesn't, we get wraps from the store. I said we are type 3 moving to type 4. We really are striving towards that goal. We don't even own a microwave. We have a sprouter for bean sprouts (sprout mix for salads and sandwiches), a vac sealer, hell, we even have a dehydrator, but a microwave (I hope) will not grace our kitchen shelves or counter space.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Fishfinger sandwiches are a secret guily pleasure of mine.

Crappy shop bought white bread, four across and one on top. My only addition is some shop bought tatar sauce and a big squish to bring it all together.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Careful with that kind of talk or I might just be in southwest england for my breakfast in the morning!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

No, she doesn't, we get wraps from the store. I said we are type 3 moving to type 4. We really are striving towards that goal. We don't even own a microwave. We have a sprouter for bean sprouts (sprout mix for salads and sandwiches), a vac sealer, hell, we even have a dehydrator, but a microwave (I hope) will not grace our kitchen shelves or counter space.

I have a microwave in my workshop but not in the kitchen.

The pancakes i made where plain soft flour and water in a medium heat heavy frying pan, it took about 12 goes to get the technique but with flour and water you can afford a few bin shots.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Skada

my microwaves primary purpose: set it on power setting 1 for 20 minutes to defrost that package of meat I forgot to pull out of the freezer that morning.

While i can make a ganache in the microwave in half the time, the process of standing there stirring it on the stove just carries a bit of romanticism with it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Crappy shop bought white bread, four across and one on top. My only addition is some shop bought tartar sauce and a big squish to bring it all together.

But tartar sauce is not much more then mayo, dill pickle relish, and a few spices and herbs.... Certainly you can whip that up quick?

In regards to bread, we came across stuff store bought that is called "Millionaire Bread". I am wondering how it is made. The texture is most like a dense angel food cake and the taste is a bit on the sweet side. I'm thinking cake or potato flour.

To me your sandwich doesn't sound very appealing, but I prefer baked fish to fried, so I could be biased.
edit on 10/7/2014 by Skada because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
4 here.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Crappy shop bought white bread, four across and one on top. My only addition is some shop bought tartar sauce and a big squish to bring it all together.

But tartar sauce is not much more then mayo, dill pickle relish, and a few spices and herbs.... Certainly you can whip that up quick?

In regards to bread, we came across stuff store bought that is called "Millionaire Bread". I am wondering how it is made. The texture is most like a dense angel food cake and the taste is a bit on the sweet side. I'm thinking cake or potato flour.

To me your sandwich doesn't sound very appealing, but I prefer baked fish to fried, so I could be biased.

As I said its a secret guilty pleasure. There are no fishfingers in our freezer because as you say why would you.

I make a really nice white fish goujon in home made bread crumbs and a variation on tatare sauce with home made mayonaise, capers and fresh dill, but sometimes late at night the teenager inside comes out.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

No, she doesn't, we get wraps from the store. ...We don't even own a microwave.

The pancakes i made where plain soft flour and water in a medium heat heavy frying pan, it took about 12 goes to get the technique but with flour and water you can afford a few bin shots.

Just flour and Water doesn't sound too tasty on its own. We would be trying to amp up that flavor profile.
Like perhaps use a half mix of whole wheat and Oat flour.

originally posted by: jude11
4 here.

Peace

Yeah, Jude, I sent you a PM a month ago in regards to some of your bread recipes and your experience with other flours.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Just flour and Water doesn't sound too tasty on its own. We would be trying to amp up that flavor profile.

It does not need to be, It's the sping onion, garlic, ginger, chilli beansprouts and mirin in the filling that gives it flavour!
edit on 1020141055pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-07T13:56:55-05:0056f56 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

edit on 1020141031pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-07T13:57:31-05:0057f57 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I am around a 3.75

I cook all the meals and know how to make most things....not everything though, still learning.

It's an ongoing process.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm a 4. Learned so much from my grandmother, and great-grandmother.

But......

Now that it is just the two of us?
I just don't cook.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I'm a 4. Learned so much from my grandmother, and great-grandmother.

But......

Now that it is just the two of us?
I just don't cook.

Thats a shame unless you too busy snowboarding or eating out in high class eateries.

Maybe you should push to invent level five?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
All the way 3 to 3.5 straying into 4 territory on occasion. For example, I made a triple layer German chocolate with the frosting from scratch for my son's birthday this past weekend and we always make our own Southern style chicken and dumplings with the dumplings from scratch and every other year or so, I make a batch each of pickled peaches and pickled watermelon rind.

My sister is even more 4 than I am because she's just found it to be more cost effective to do all the bread and pasta from scratch with three growing boys.

We do have a microwave, but it's sole purpose is to thaw and melt and heat up water.

And everything I know about cooking my husband and I more or less learned by cooking together, watching Food network, and reading the Internet. We have rolled our own sushi. That was an entire afternoon's adventure!

edit on 7-10-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
4 here.

Peace

Yeah, Jude, I sent you a PM a month ago in regards to some of your bread recipes and your experience with other flours.

I remember losing a few messages because I had so many backed up that when I went "CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK>>>>I lost some.

Sorry.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I would say I'm a type 5. I have prepared meals from all fresh and wild ingredients that have made the panties come off.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I would say I'm a type 5. I have prepared meals from all fresh and wild ingredients that have made the panties come off.

Thats quite a statment!

I thought I was a four I have cooked most styles of foods, raised and butchered my own animals, made all manners of preserves, cured meats and cheeses.

I can do more with a bag of oats than most would ever belive. I even used to make my own salt from sea water. I have made foraged meals and once fed 45 hungry people a two course meal for £15 on a camp fire and everyone went away happy and full.

Maybe I am a five too

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Thats quite a statment!

I thought I was a four I have cooked most styles of foods, raised and butchered my own animals, made all manners of preserves, cured meats and cheeses.

I can do more with a bag of oats than most would ever belive. I even used to make my own salt from sea water. I have made foraged meals and once fed 45 hungry people a two course meal for £15 on a camp fire and everyone went away happy and full.

Maybe I am a five too

Brush up on your brewing skills and you are in the club.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Or maybe the 10 bottles of vino before ,during , after

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join