It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How well can you cook? Which of these 4 catagories applies to you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: skunkape23
I would say I'm a type 5. I have prepared meals from all fresh and wild ingredients that have made the panties come off.

Thats quite a statment!

I thought I was a four I have cooked most styles of foods, raised and butchered my own animals, made all manners of preserves, cured meats and cheeses.

I can do more with a bag of oats than most would ever belive. I even used to make my own salt from sea water. I have made foraged meals and once fed 45 hungry people a two course meal for £15 on a camp fire and everyone went away happy and full.

Maybe I am a five too

Brush up on your brewing skills and you are in the club.

In that case I am nearly a five, just started work on malting my own barley and more home brews than I care to remember(or maybe I forgot after drinking them).

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
My family has always teased me about my cooking, as I like to experiment-but some things don't turn out too palatable.

My kids say the smoke alarm was their dinner bell, and that I must have learned to cook in the Chicago fire.

I asked my grand daughter if she wanted me to make her some toast for breakfast, and she said "Yes, please; and try not to burn it."

I can bake desserts like nobodies business, though! Don't like dinner? Have more dessert!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
I can bake desserts like nobodies business, though! Don't like dinner? Have more dessert!

Baking and cooking. Two unrelated processes that are linked. Sort of like Physics and math.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'd be a 2.5. But honestly, our lifestyle doesn't lend itself to a lot of cooking. It's mostly just my husband and I now, and I'm on such a restricted diet that I'd only be cooking just for him. It's hard to cook for just one in a big way like that.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

My family has always teased me about my cooking, as I like to experiment-but some things don't turn out too palatable.

My kids say the smoke alarm was their dinner bell, and that I must have learned to cook in the Chicago fire.

I asked my grand daughter if she wanted me to make her some toast for breakfast, and she said "Yes, please; and try not to burn it."

Funny you should say that my girlfreind is a savoury 2 sweet 4.

Awsome at baking but can burn water.

I think it has to do with what you love, If I am given ready meals or prepacked food I make a mess of it. I can take some potato's and a big pan of oil and triple cook chip(fries) that make most people weep with joy but give me a bag of frozen oven chips and I burn them.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I remember putting a stool up to the cooker when i was about 4 to make a omelette and my mother and grandmother rolling with laughter that ii had it in me to do that .

My mother worked in a Italian restaurant and i was never out of the kitchen when i was young , i even worked there for years myself learning everything i could , i have made butter ,ice cream etc etc .

While i go for the easy time free route now i can still cook a good meal that has been commented on by people that know their food .

Years ago one of the nicest things my mother said to me was when i cooked for her one day was that the pasta was better than the woman who she used to work for

me a very good 3 if i can be bothered but i do a good impression of Keith floyd i am told making my own wine to boot

edit on 7/10/2014 by douglas5 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Baking and cooking. Two unrelated processes that are linked. Sort of like Physics and math.

I agree, cooking is about love and experimentation. It is about time and adjustment and tweaking as you go.

Baking is about exact measurement, temperature and adherence to scientific method.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

I remember putting a stool up to the cooker when i was about 4 to make a omelette and my mother and grandmother rolling with laughter that ii had it in me to do that .

My mother worked in a Italian restaurant and i was never out of the kitchen when i was young , i even worked there for years myself learning everything i could , i have made butter ,ice cream etc etc .

While i go for the easy time free route now i can still cook a good meal that has been commented on by people that know their food .

Years ago one of the nicest things my mother said to me was when i cooked for her one day was that the pasta was better than the woman who she used to work for

me a very good 3 if i can be bothered but i do a good impression of Keith floyd i am told making my own wine to boot

I used to love watching Flloyd doing his thing. I remember watching an episode when he said to put a whole bottle of wine into a dish but was so drunk he put a whole bottle of Icelandic spirit in the pan instead. You heard one of the crew point it out to him and he pretty much said that everyone should stand back a little bit and the whole thing went up like an inferno.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

baking is pure chemistry, as best i can tell.

cooking is more art, more flair. the only art really in baking is the use of frostings/toppings. The pastry, itself, is a chemical combination that, to be good, has to stay within fairly narrow variation.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: intrepid

baking is pure chemistry, as best i can tell.

cooking is more art, more flair. the only art really in baking is the use of frostings/toppings. The pastry, itself, is a chemical combination that, to be good, has to stay within fairly narrow variation.

When cooking a recipe will say season to taste and adjust before serving. Cook in a moderate oven for 3 to 4 hours

When baking a recipe will say add 1.25g salt. bake in a preheated oven at 227c for 7 mins.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Probably why I bake about 3% of the time that I cook. I can do it but it's rote.....boring. Cooking???? I can still remember when the family was back together(late 70's). Dad's a meat and potatoes guy. He'd come home some nights and go, "intrepid cooked, right?" It would be a pepper steak with rice. Not meat and gravy. Bwahahahahaha......

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

That is me all over especially at Christmas , it is not unknown for me to fall asleep head first into a plate of food after some light refreshment

maybe father jack would have been a better avatar
edit on 7/10/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I can do things in category 4.

I do not make tofu, but that is because Idon't eat it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I can do things in category 4.

I do not make tofu, but that is because Idon't eat it.

I kind of guessed by the user name that you may be a 4 man.

Do you not eat tofu because you do not like it or because it is not meat?

I am an avid meat eater but found the proccess fascinating.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I don't like it enough to make it. I will eat it, but it is currently off my diet... Kidneystones.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I don't like it enough to make it. I will eat it, but it is currently off my diet... Kidneystones.

I was not aware of the problems it can cause, may I ask what is in tofu that is not good with kidney stones if you know please?

Does it cause them or do you need to avoid it if you already have them?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Former chef so I am a 4.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Former chef so I am a 4.

Can I ask if you were a real chef, I assume you where but I know a lot of chefs that I would call food heating and serving technicians.

It is a dying art in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Can I ask if you were a real chef, I assume you where but I know a lot of chefs that I would call food heating and serving technicians.
It is a dying art in my opinion.

Yes. I started cooking in restaurants while I was still in high school and ran two of my own, along with my mother, for 13 years.

I have done it all from prep work to cooking for large parties.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Calcium oxalate is the thing that I must avoid to keep stones from forming. It is also in chocolate, nuts, peanuts and potatoes ... Among other things. The diet sucks.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join