It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Student Forced to Remove American Flag from Balcony

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
A student in San Diego put up a U.S. Flag on his balcony and soon got a "letter" from the apartment managers to remove it.

The lease does have some vague references to outside signs and personal property, but not American Flags specifically.

The "Letter" said the flag could offend foreign students living there !!!!

But when the media highlighted the story, the apartment people said it's now OK.

I wonder what those managers are so worried about?

Possible 1st Amendment infringements?

A San Diego State University sophomore was forced to remove an American flag from his balcony after apartment managers said foreigners could find the display offensive.

Brad Smith, who had just moved into the Boulevard 63 apartment complex in San Diego last month, told ABC 10 News that he received a written notice to remove the flag a few days ago.

"We were then told that it was for political reasons and that the flag could offend foreign people that live here, foreign exchange students," Smith said. "I've had friends and family fight to defend that flag."

College Student Forced to Remove American Flag from Balcony, 'Could Offend Foreign People'

edit on Sep-21-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Every American should move out of there and screw those people. Let them house exchange students and illegals from now on until their complex closes due to bankruptcy.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If anyone in America is offended by the American flag they should get their sorry ass out of my country. No room for you!a reply to: xuenchen

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime
Let them house exchange students and illegals from now on until their complex closes due to bankruptcy.

Won't work. If anything the apartment complex would just switch to solely Section 8 housing, raise the rent and make out like a fat rat.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The flag just represents the country, and if you find the country offensive, then why go there?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I guess it just goes to show what the American flag has the potential to symbolize to those from other countries...Sad!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
I guess it just goes to show what the American flag has the potential to symbolize to those from other countries...Sad!

Then they can stay in their country and not look at us flying OUR flag in OUR country.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The flag is just a symbol, albeit a very important one to many. That being said, it is much more "American" to respect one's personal property rights and abide by the rules of the contract you singed when you rent/lease.

Most apartment complexes and housing associations have rules in their leases about hanging things on balconies or outside areas because they don't want the place to look like a ghetto....with all kinds of crap hanging on balconies.

They are not trying to inhibit your first-amendment rights whatsoever.

Also, how do we know that the managers said anything about politics or foreign people? There was a story similar to this not too long ago and that guy said the same thing....but come to find out he lied to get his 15 mins of fame and to make a political point of his own.

So quite crying about the flag and your damned rights. They are not being trampled on and if we are to be true Americans, we would be honorable and follow the rules of the contract or find another place to live. They have the right to say what people can or cannot do on THEIR property.
edit on 9/21/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If I were a foreigner in someone elses Country, I would have respect for that Country. I wouldn't be arrogant and rude and insulted if they flew the flag of their own damned Country. Maybe from now on, warn foreigners that this is the USA and we fly our flags proudly. If they don't like it, too bad.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

originally posted by: minkmouse

Then they can stay in their country and not look at us flying OUR flag in OUR country.

Fair enough but the flag will not redeem itself just because no one gazes upon it.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

If you'd lost three siblings in a drone strike your tune might change don't you think?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

It's much more American to put God and country first, to display patriotism, and live by the simple principles this once great nation was founded on.

But, this isn't that America anymore. This country is now a globalist safe haven, a place for the scavengers to invade and get what they can from it before it collapses completely.

Put your flags away America, we are done.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

That's a lie. The student CLAIMED it was political. The notice didn't mention a reason. You made that up.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Why does it seem lately that Americans are the only group that it is ok to offend?

Did they not think the person flying the flag would find it offensive to be told to take it down? but it seems ok to offend Americans as long as no foreigners are offended.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Didn't you get the memo?

America is the most hated country, the most corrupt, the most evil, we are the "great Satan" an evil empire, our flag represents everything that is wrong in this world, we have alone created all of the world's problems. It's all our fault... etc.

Of course, foreigners come here to get whatever they can from this country, some like it enough to stay... In the evil empire.

You still wonder why our flag is considered offensive?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: xuenchen

That's a lie. The student CLAIMED it was political. The notice didn't mention a reason. You made that up.

Expect nothing less from OP of thread..:

That is their "Modus operandi"..create a thread filled with lies..etc.

About the flag issue...let them hang what they want...I have no clue as to why what someone does to their own home should effect another.

If they start letting this happen...who knows what extremes they might start allowing. Don't like how someone looks..overweight..etc...ask managers to tell them to stay inside as you find them offensive..

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yes, I mean, how dare you display an American flag in your own country?

/end sarcasm/

Jeesh, the world today!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

People should really stop speaking English.

It puts foreigners at a disadvantage.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

People should really stop speaking English.

It puts foreigners at a disadvantage.

Good idea, maybe we could get our own foremost America hater to pen an order establishing English only free speech/expression zones?

Outside of those zones, all English speaking Americans are prohibited from free speech and expression, and must respect the cultures and languages of the predominant ethnic population.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

As a human being I would not bend over for this. No way. This would've been even bigger news if the letter was informing them to remove another country's flag.

I will not bend over for their intolerance, their coddling of everybody else but their own citizens, their complete and utter disrespect for the people who live here.

This is disgusting and only proves this country has switched from a subtle dictatorship using a new pawn every four years to an outright tyrannical beast using the same pawns since the last century.

In my neighborhood it's very diverse. Chinese, Middle-Eastern, hardcore Italians. I've actually seen the foreign businesses with American flags displayed openly. And if you bring it up in a conversation they'll tell you bluntly. America has its problems, they're severe but they do not compare to the blatant terror that is happening in other countries. They're proud to display that flag, even if they disagree with many of the US's policies.

So I cannot put this on the foreign people living in that apartment building, because I feel this situation was caused by either one random, anonymous complaint or the owners are frightened of a lawsuit and want to continue to uphold their building's image of a foreign-friendly, diverse living place.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join