It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma residents: Passports will be required for domestic flights

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Because Oklahoma never signed on to the fed's RealID Act, a driver's license will no longer be accepted as ID to get past TSA screening OR to enter a federal building. Residents will be required to get a passport for these things.

My question now is, what about the people who owe over $2500 in back child support who are barred from receiving a passport? Even when they have a payment plan in place, money is coming directly out of their paychecks, and they need one for work, their exemption request is likely denied. Now these same people won't be able to even enter a fed building if they need to. What if they need to drop off or pick up tax papers? Or heck, even showing up for a court date?

This seems like it could be a very large Catch-22 for people.

Link

+28 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

This is the same government that says you don't need an ID to vote, but you need a passport to enter a federal building?

*facepalm*

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfpint0701
Because Oklahoma never signed on to the fed's RealID Act, a driver's license will no longer be accepted as ID to get past TSA screening OR to enter a federal building. Residents will be required to get a passport for these things.

My question now is, what about the people who owe over $2500 in back child support who are barred from receiving a passport? Even when they have a payment plan in place, money is coming directly out of their paychecks, and they need one for work, their exemption request is likely denied. Now these same people won't be able to even enter a fed building if they need to. What if they need to drop off or pick up tax papers? Or heck, even showing up for a court date?

This seems like it could be a very large Catch-22 for people.

Link

Just one more thing to add to the knee jerk stupidity that seems prevalent in today's America.. Never mind the undocumented illegals being flown all over the country..

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

in my best nazi voice.

Papers Plezse.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yeah, I'm still beyond confused over the whole "ID to vote" thing.

You need an ID to buy epoxy glue, spray paint, a lighter, get a bank account, get welfare, enter a nightclub, etc.

You don't need an ID to vote.

Can someone please explain the logic to me. My brain absolutely cannot comprehend it.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I live right on the border with OKlahoma, and if there is one state this would effect considerbly, it would be Oklahoma. Most people havent even made it out of the state, so for them to even own a passport, is a dream. Im not bashing Oklahoma residents, your government is doing a great job of that.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

in my best nazi voice.

Papers Plezse.

Or "papiers, bitte".

I have a passport, so I suppose I am good to go. Funny thing is, I use my passport for ALL identification and no one has told me to get a state ID...lol. I live in Indiana.

Well, I don't drive either, but as a regular American born in Indiana, this has never been an issue, but I did drive before. When I moved to Indiana from Ohio, my license expired and I never had the umph to go get a new one. And yet every doctor takes my passport as ID.

Just get the passport, it doesn't cost much. But if I want to drive, I would have to get the state ID. Physcially I am not able to drive, so for that purpose I suppose it doesn't matter much.

BTW, white Caucasian from the Midwest. Does it make me an anarchist that I haven't gotten the state ID yet?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You need an ID to buy epoxy glue, spray paint, a lighter, get a bank account, get welfare, enter a nightclub, etc.

Can someone please explain the logic to me. My brain absolutely cannot comprehend it.

Thank you.

I must be incredibly lucky then, I simply use my passport for every one of those things. But then again, my bank account and other things like that were already established before my ID expired. I just simply didn't get it renewed. And it's been 3 years now.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Passports cost $135 for a passport, $110 for a renewal, $105 for a minor (under 16) compared to a state ID (non-drivers) at $20 - which the majority of the populous already has, as ID is required for everything.

Therefore, a normal couple who would like to visit the wifes parents who happen to live out of state (They retired in Florida) to be with her mother for their two week vacation and take the kids to Bush Gardens ect while they are there, will now spend several hundred dollars just for the passports.

That has made plane travel prohibitive, for normal people who might leave the state once every year or three or four.
edit on 18-9-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

What about the people who aren't allowed to get a passport? i.e. the ones who are behind in child support or on parole/probation? This could potentially stop them from showing up for court dates.

While I totally understand the reason this is being done (not to say I agree with it), it just doesn't seem like the conflicts to current situations was thought out or even accounted for.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

Thank you.

I must be incredibly lucky then, I simply use my passport for every one of those things. But then again, my bank account and other things like that were already established before my ID expired. I just simply didn't get it renewed. And it's been 3 years now.

You are not "lucky".

A passport is considered a valid form of identification. You are simply using what is accepted.

The point Beezer is making is: you MUST have some form of valid ID in order to do or buy those things. And yet, not one to vote.

Some argue that's because voting is a constitutional right, and should not require ID.

Well if that is the case, then no one should have to provide ID and submit to background checks to own a fire arm. But we do.

Try doing some of the things he listed without your passport, or any form of ID and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

What a joke, this government is beyond ridiculous. Like said above, no id to vote but a passport to fly out of state. If that doesn't tell you something about the way this country is being ran than I don't know what will.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Dumbocrappy in action .. whats next ? vaccinations and valid shot record to cross the street ?
edit on 18/9/14 by Expat888 because: typo.. grrr...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I just found a thread on ATS talking about this back in January 2013.

ATS Thread

According to a link on that thread, there are still 9 states not compliant with the RealID, although Washington State and New York have enhanced ID's that MAY be deemed acceptable by the DHS. There are also 20 states who are not compliant but have filed for extensions through 10/10/14.

RealID Map
edit on 9/18/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/18/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

This is the same government that says you don't need an ID to vote, but you need a passport to enter a federal building?

*facepalm*

I was not aware about the need of a passport to enter a federal building.

I guess this is just one more good reason I have for not flying and now not going into a federal building.

One question though; what do I do if I am called in for an appointment or worse arrested on a federal charge?

Do I have to get a passport to use if I go to jail?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

What a joke, this government is beyond ridiculous. Like said above, no id to vote but a passport to fly out of state. If that doesn't tell you something about the way this country is being ran than I don't know what will.

The thing is; no terrorist has bombed a polling place -- YET!

Of course, now that I have mentioned this little factoid, some nut will do it and I'll be pegged with giving them the idea.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

You will if the state doesn't comply with the new RealID. And according to the link I posted above your post, Oklahoma is not alone...there are 8 others this could apply to and 20 states who have filed extensions to meet the compliance deadline.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I just found a thread on ATS talking about this back in January 2013.

ATS Thread

According to a link on that thread, there are still 9 states not compliant with the RealID, although Washington State and New York have enhanced ID's that MAY be deemed acceptable by the DHS. There are also 20 states who are not compliant but have filed for extensions through 10/10/14.

RealID Map

Actually my state, South Carolina, will not be complying at all:

South Carolina
Bill Number: SB 449
Signed Into Law: 6/13/2007
Summary: This law states South Carolina’s opposition to the REAL ID Act due to its
violation of the state and federal constitutions. It prohibits state agencies from complying
with the provisions of the act.

REAL ID by states

We may end up like Oklahoma. :shrug:, oh well, other than the VA (which I have a VA ID card for) I don't normally have to deal with the federal government, and I drive.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I live right on the border with OKlahoma, and if there is one state this would effect considerbly, it would be Oklahoma. Most people havent even made it out of the state, so for them to even own a passport, is a dream. Im not bashing Oklahoma residents, your government is doing a great job of that.

Having been to OK and involved with someone from OK -- I have to agree.

What is it with Oklahoma and crossbows? No one can answer me that one...?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Aren't the Department of Veteran Affairs offices usually in federal buildings? And if not, aren't they still considered federal buildings on their own?

Will the VA ID card still be valid in that case? Or will that also fall under the need for a passport?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join