It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Employees Upset Over New "Dress Code"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo
a reply to: TDawgRex

NOTHING goes well with khaki pants.
I would not sprinkle them with ants.
I would not wear them to a dance.
I would not wear them during ats rants.
I do not like them, mister anti fancy pants.

LMAO!!

Dr.Seuss would be proud...LOL

Nah, khakis are definitely not like Levi's

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yup.

This was news on Yahoo!Finance today. As of right now, the article is 13 hrs. old lol

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: halfpint0701

20 years ago, I worked at Sears selling electronics for $6 an hour. I had to were a suit and tie!

What's the big deal?

In 1994, $6 had the purchasing power of $9.47. Today's federal minimum wage is $7.25.

That's a difference of at least 80 bucks a week which is huge when budgeting in a new wardrobe.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I work at Walmart, dress code don't bother me i'm already wearing it anyway. I just don't like the smock they have but we don't have to wear one if we don't want.

I've had to wear button shirt and a tie at other places I have worked.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 4003fireglo

polo shirts go great with khaki cargo shorts

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I won't say this is an entitlement generation thing. Most Walmart workers are part-time, make minimum wage, on food stamps or encouraged to apply. Having to drop 50 bucks on "work clothes" could make or break a check. If Walmart gave them a 50% discount I could understand everyone's disdain. But 10% ain't even cutting taxes in some parts of the country.

Sorry folks. No way in hell would I crack my check to buy clothes and I didn't even have a full time shift. Walmart could kick rocks on that one. It's not like you aren't one step from unemployment either.

Imagine how many old people at the door greeting you in their 70s are affected by this. Most are working to supplement their checks. Geez.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Had various jobs during high school.

My older brother and I worked as busboys in an Italian dinner restaurant. We had to wear a white long sleeve dress shirt, black bow tie, red vest, black pants, and polished black leather shoes.

The waitresses were super sexy, they practically got to dress like Playboy Bunnies.

I had no problem with the dress code.

Each shift started with a free meal, then at the end of the night there'd be lots of left over pizza to take home, the sexy waitresses would split their cash tips with us, and a decent paycheck would be waiting every two weeks.

edit on 13-9-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
When I worked in the medical field I was always required to wear a uniform. Colors varied with the place but it was always at my own expense. These weren't uniforms that you could wear otherwise---not like a pair of blue or black pants that could be worn casually. I never minded wearing uniforms because it took away the question of what to wear.
When I got into archaeology---now that was heaven. The dress code was summed up this way: It must be legal, not subject to arrest for indecent exposure.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

I am part time walmart worker they started me out at $10.40 I little better then minimum wage.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

90% of the people working at Walmart are going to screwed because of Inflation. If you make under 15 dollars and hour this is you also.

Inflation will make you unable to feed or house yourself without help from the government. The house of cards is about to fall apart the people on the edge will be the first to fall. It could take as little as 2 years at this rate. This is going happen and is not a prediction just looking at simple facts.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Do I spend 50 bucks on clothes so I have a job...or do I not spend 50 bucks not to have a job.

People amaze me about the stupid crap they bitch about.

People have lost their damn minds it seems.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

You get a star for mentioning sexy girls and liking good music.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I'm not denying or disagreeing with that at all. Even making over $15/hr you get screwed. Thanks to taxes, my hubby brings home LESS money working 74 hrs a week than he does when he works 62 hrs. And the weeks he works 98 hrs his checks are less than $200 more than the weeks he works 74 hrs. Go figure.

I want to know why, today, Walmart's dress code became an issue. According to previous posts, it's been in effect for years.

Most stores and businesses (where part time employees start at less than desertguy makes at Walmart) have some sort of dress code that employees pay for out-of-pocket.

Heck, even construction workers and mechanics have "work" jeans/cargos they buy.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Why's it a big deal?

Because it's Walmart.

Wal-fart is the to-go evil empire. As others have mentioned, practically all jobs require putting money down for clothing; but other jobs aren't Walmart, and that's what makes the difference.

They have practices that aren't savory, and they're a handy symbol for America's service-based slave caste. That, I think, is why Tumblristas use them to illustrate why we need to raise minimum wage to $500 an hour.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Wow, you really can tell the grown ups from the younger ones on this thread.

That's all I really have to add.. it really is a grown ups vs everybody gets a trophy generation isn't it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I just posted a rant on my facebook page after seeing this ridiculous story on the web multiple times... Now they are talking about taking legal action against Walmart? My response to that: If you can't afford a collared shirt, how ya gonna afford a lawyer? Lol
The dress code changes are not drastic, and those employees who actually do need to purchase new items are not buying a whole new wardrobe...

The trade school I went to required professional attire. I was dirt poor- no financial aid, no savings... I spent less than $20 at the thrift store and *bam*! I wasn't the best dressed in school, but I met the requirements.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: desertguy
a reply to: ArchPlayer

I am part time walmart worker they started me out at $10.40 I little better then minimum wage.

You may regret you said that here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 2 years I worked at Walmart... They were good to me. I had not worked in over 10 years as I was a stay at home mom. We barely scraped by so that I could do that. My husband's pay got cut in half one year and I had to find a job as fast as I could.

I filled out an application for Walmart and called everyday for a week about it. I needed something 3rd shift because of my husband's hours and Walmart was one of the few safe places to do that. I got tired of calling and waiting and money was getting shorter and shorter. I got in my car at about 2 am and drove to Walmart. I went in and asked to speak to the manager on duty.

He walked up and I met him with my hand out and introduced myself. I humbled myself enough to tell him about my situation and told him that I would take anything he had available. I would clean the toilets with a toothpick if I had to. I would work hard for him and never give him cause to regret giving me a chance to help keep my family afloat.

I was called 5 hours later to do my drug test.

With no recent work record, they started me off at well over minimum wage. I got another dollar on my first 90 days evaluation and another at the next one.

I will be thankful forever that Walmart gave me that chance. Are they perfect? Absolutely not, but nobody is. They were good to me. They gave me a chance to prove myself, they paid me right much more than they had to as well. I didn't complain when I was told several months in that I would need to have a blue shirt for cripe's sake. It didn't have to be Gucci. It just had to be blue.

Walmart is an easy target because they are the biggest and damn you if you speak about NOT having a negative experience while you worked there. You are then accused of being 20 different kinds of a sell out POS.

I would like for someone to post and honestly tell me that they DO NOT have a blue shirt in their closet right now. It's not that big of a thing to bitch about IMO. other places have been doing it since they existed.

edit on 9/13/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I'm low on patience tonight.

What I'm hearing is that because you were exploited by past employers, everyone else should suffer so.

That's bass ackwards. Personal suffering should lead to compassion for others in similar circumstances - not enjoyment at another's similiar suffering.

I hear this all too often on ATS - it happened to me, look how I turned out - everybody should pay their dues to be special like me. Screw them if they object.

Seems your low on a lot of things tonight,

Are you saying because a company wants you to wear a certain color or type of clothing that you are being exploited?!?!

If so, do you know the meaning of the word exploited?

wanting your employees to dress appropriately and match each other is not exploitation, it's common sense.

The people at the local Wal-Mart here dress all in different clothing except the vest. Some of them dress inappropriate for a job dealing with the public in my opinion, some look down right slobbish.

Even at a fast food joint you are expected to wear a certain color pants and shoes.

People also act like you have to go drop $200 on clothes, If your that poor then try thrift shops or yard sales and buy a decent pair of pants that conform for $2 and while your there pick up a $1 shirt.....
edit on 13-9-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I have never worked at Walmart, but I have worked at other retail stores. There's no denying that Walmart has some questionable practices towards employees (like no sick pay), but when it comes to their wages, they are better than many of their competitors.

Using them as the poster child for low wages is simply uninformed and unfair.

This is current data from payscale.com

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Most jobs require you to dress a certain way.

It's because some employees wear ridiculous outfits, so instead of sounding discriminating to one or two employes saying you can't wear this or that, they have a policy for all. The vest part sounds super geeky, but Walmart isn't exactly a stylish place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join