It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Employees Upset Over New "Dress Code"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Like I said: They started this up almost 10 years ago!

When they first started, they issued the employee's 3 polo dark blue shirts. The pants you had to buy for yourself. But like my wife said: most places that give you the shirts, normally do not give you the pants (shirts are easy to fit people, pants are not).

She has some that are dark blue polo with the word "Walmart" over the left breast that she can order online from Walmart at: $3.00 a piece.

Most times she keeps an eye on sales for the pants and shirts, for when she needs to replace them. As a full time employee (with vacation time, personal time, and medical), she gets paid a lot more than minimum wage. Her only gripe is when they cut hours (but then when they do that: she puts in her personal time she's earned to make up for that.).

The only other thing that she could think of is: When you work in certain places in Walmart such as the Deli, the cleaning chemicals, and of course grease from the foods can ruin the shirts and pants quickly, which is why they are suppose to wear the blue aprons that are there for them.

When I showed her this news article, she laughed quite a bit!

Her comment was: All the things that Wally World does that is not cool, and THIS is what people what to file a law suit over?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

i can relate to this post.
actually im going to make a guess based on your location and you said your hubby makes wind turbines...
does he work at a foundry?
ha... if so, small world. i probably know him. i worked there for several years before i got hurt.

as for this wal mart deal... its just the employees complaining about another non issue.

at the foundry i had to buy new boots every year as well. no less than $150 per pair. just cause we didnt wear dress pants dont mean we didnt have a dress code.
i had to buy work pants/shirts. no heat in the foundry in the winter. i had to buy winter gear....

what exactly is the problem?

people need to buy work clothes..... this is nothing new.

just something else to belly ache about to try to get support for the 15 dollar minimum wage crap

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The employees are making out they are being forced to wear the uniform. They are not. They have a choice. Don't work for them. Simple. Work for someone else or don't work at all......there are alternative choices in every situation......it's just a case of which choice suits your personal ends.

Everything we do is the result of personal choice/free will. Nobody forces us to do anything ......

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Every retail job i have worked in has provided me with the uniform free of charge. Welcome to the UK. Clearly not as Anal here when it comes to managing their staff's appearance. Now i work in an office, pay's more, i buy my own office wear without thinking twice about it.

Cannot seriously believe people are bitching that employer's should not have to provide their own staff with their mandatory uniform preferences. Seem's reasonable that if you want your staff to look a certain way for your customers, you'll put in your pocket and pay for that image - The same as you would pay for your advertising.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I just started a new job around a month ago, before I started I was given a uniform at no cost to me whatsoever 3 t shirts, 2 cargo trousers, 2 jumpers a fleece and a bomber style jacket and if I wanted them a pair of steel toes, but I had my own

On top of that I get anything I want off the company (it's a fresh and frozen foods supplier) for cost plus 10%

Great deal

And there gunna put me threw my heavy goods licence saving me a cost of over £1500

And the pay is well over min wage

So looking at this thread makes me even more grateful that I got this job

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer
Wow, that sounds like a kickass setup you got there. It's a keeper in my book

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I work for walmart and this code isnt new

But if these lazy people want free clothes they should work in the tire and lube like I do

Where walmart provides two weeks worth of uniforms for us all

And I still get my 10% store discount
edit on am920143008America/ChicagoSat, 13 Sep 2014 08:17:06 -0500_9u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut
Dickey coveralls?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Another_Nut
Dickey coveralls?

Blue dickies and blue shirt

U pick how many long sleeve or short shirts

And u pick pants or shorts

Eta most walmart employees are to lazy or stupid to work on a customers car

They might break a sweat
edit on am920143008America/ChicagoSat, 13 Sep 2014 08:20:57 -0500_9000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
I work for walmart and this code isnt new

But if these lazy people want free clothes they should work in the tire and lube like I do

Where walmart provides two weeks worth of uniforms for us all

And I still get my 10% store discount

OR, considering that clothe's are literally made for 10 a penny these days (Thanks globalization) companies like Wal-Mart can actually put their hand in their profit margin and pay for their staff's polo shirts. After all, they want to present a certain image to their customer's dont they? It's in their interest to do so.
edit on 13-9-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Nearly every public service job I've held in my life has required a dress code or uniform to some extent, so I see this as a non-issue. I've been a low-wage earner for most of my life and yet could still afford two or three sets of work clothes and wash them out once a week. But I also made them last, sewing rips and tears and broken buttons when required, and only replacing them once the very fabric had worn thin. Hell, I still do that with most of my regular clothes.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchAngel_X
I still got jeans from 10 years ago I use as work clothes(construction) lol. Jeans used to last forever, once the knees started getting holes, cutoffs for the summer.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk
a reply to: halfpint0701

Can they claim expenses like work uniforms back on taxes? Surely they can!

If so, what's the big deal, I spend nearly $200 just on steel capped boots every year!

Should be able to.

I used to claim everything i could claim back in tax allowances...IT equipment, vehicle running costs / purchase, tools and clothing and other expenses.

Just think of it as a savings account that you can withdraw on when you hand in your tax return!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
But all the girls are crazy for a sharp dressed man?

Maybe they are tired of having to tell some employees to pull their pants up?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Fargoth

No. Just no. I prefer colorful Hawaiian shorts with a Darkthrone tee shirt.

Magma tee shirts go well with anything, though.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
They have known this "newer" dress code was coming for several weeks. The current dress code requires them to wear tan pants and blue shirts. It is being changed to blue/white shirts WITH COLLARS. The pants are being changed to tan or black because it is rather difficult to find tan pants which are not garbage.

My girl works at Wal-Mart and she let me know this was coming; as I said earlier a few weeks ago. I told her it'd be cool if they gave a uniform allotment but I had to buy all my own clothes so I couldn't care either way. Some of you are talking about the "entitlement generation", well you guys are dead to rights. I've never seen so many people expect so much free stuff in my life.

EDIT: Next thing people are going to complain about it Wal-Mart not paying for their water they use to shower with before/after work.
edit on 13-9-2014 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

They can only claim them if they itemize their deductions, and usually but not always but most of the time the standard deduction is better for min. wage workers.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 4003fireglo

I used to wear nothing but band tee's, ripped denim jeans and a spikey painted up leather jacket. I cut my hair took out the nose ring and started wearing name brand preppy clothes and my life changed for the better. People started taking me seriously,I got a promotion and a 4 dollar raise. I still look good for the girls but in a different way.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The difference isn't an entitlement generation. The difference is when you agreed to make those purchases Before you became an employee.

You did not agree to take on additional expenses to continue working. With a company that surely tells them they have great prices and just get them there.

When I was a teeny bopper I got free McPoison uniforms every time they did something new.

I certainly never felt entitled to them, I didn't want them and never wore them past the door. Walmart arbitrarily decided to change its dress code. They can provide the new dress code to the employees.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: desertguy
a reply to: ArchPlayer

I am part time walmart worker they started me out at $10.40 I little better then minimum wage.

Consider yourself fortunate. Chicago doesn't allow Walmart, and those who work at the suburban ones start off 8.50/hr with no more than 15 hrs a week.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join