It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A big chunk of the Sierra Nevada caught fracturing on video

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thanks for this OP!

Like others, I'd be just too chicken to go anywhere near that rock and would have been doing my best to levitate right away when the popping began....
On the sinkhole----nope, wouldn't go within a mile of that sucker---I know a fellow who lives in the area, hasn't been able to live in his home for about 2 years now. Surprisingly, both he and his mother-in-law are still alive and living in the same house.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Incredible! I have been spending a lot of time in Vegas lately, and taking road trips on the weekends- Zion, Bryce, Death Valley etc... I searched for earthquakes in the US, and I believe Nevada ranks #3 for at-risk states

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

a reply to: Dolby_X

Granite exfoliating isn't rare. It's why granite boulders are predominantly round or rounded. For example, the world famous half-dome.

What's shown here isn't a "big chunk" of the Sierra Nevada range either. More like a single sand grain on a beach.

Really? Man, it would be nice if you'd post your collection of exfoliating rock videos then, and quite being so stingy with them.

Why are people jumping down InverseLookingGlass' throat? He didn't say videos of the process are everywhere, he just said that the geological process isn't a rare thing in the world, and also pointed out that the title is extremely misleading as to the scope of the activity in the mountain range (at least what's shown in the video).

Give the guy a break--he was just making two good points.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Granite exfoliating isn't rare. It's why granite boulders are predominantly round or rounded. For example, the world famous half-dome.

What's shown here isn't a "big chunk" of the Sierra Nevada range either. More like a single sand grain on a beach.

Really? Man, it would be nice if you'd post your collection of exfoliating rock videos then, and quite being so stingy with them.

Why are people jumping down InverseLookingGlass' throat? He didn't say videos of the process are everywhere, he just said that the geological process isn't a rare thing in the world, and also pointed out that the title is extremely misleading as to the scope of the activity in the mountain range (at least what's shown in the video).

Give the guy a break--he was just making two good points.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
How the title is misleading ? it's a big chunk on top of that hill and in Sierra Nevada...
ok i got it for you a big chunk need to be a state size ?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
that is awesome footage. It makes me think of the stories i heard when i was a kid about the native americans calling the large granite domes enchanted because the crackle and pop when they heat and cool. So neat to actually see it and hear it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
S&F!

I had to come back and show this to my wife. No way I'd have stood there and filmed it, I probably would have been shaking one pant leg as I was running.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

We're not all made of glass.

This is a microscopic event in the larger scheme of things, a large shift is an extremely rare occurrence which would affect millions of people if it affected him, and he would have to be extremely unlucky and be there at the perfect time to actually be in danger.

Why is his position there any more dangerous than the risks to the millions of people who would all be affected by the same disaster should something more significant happen? He is no more at risk there filming this in the event of a larger and more deadly shift than he would be in an office building twenty miles away.

Yes, it annoys me that there are so many people who demand that everyone be covered in bubble wrap with cordon around them and a million signs warning of every potential danger in every direction, no matter how small the risk. Let people take their own risks without being their nanny.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Let people take their own risks without being their nanny.

I wasn't there, so how could I be his nanny? Whats interesting to me is how people think a local event is something affecting Millions. I said it "looked like" a rock slide on a mountain.

With that in mind who's mindful enough to stand on one while its active?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Well ain't that something. Very cool video, it sounds like when you put the popcorn in the microwave, you slowly get that popping sound. Seems like a small event, things like this generally happen all the time but nobody is around to notice it, and the bigger events? Well peoples lifetimes are to small for any of it to be of any first person noticeable consequence to them. If you think about it, it would be like a common fly who's lifespan is what about 30 days trying to figure out the patterns of the oceans ebb and flow in its relations to the moons and suns gravity, something that would take at least a few thousand years of observation to even notice.

Cool video non the less.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Exploding rocks! That was pretty cool. Never saw that sort of thing before.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Yes, I'd be running and screaming "EARTHQUAKE"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join