It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A big chunk of the Sierra Nevada caught fracturing on video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The earth is active this year
here a guy who got lucky to film it live !

Hope this is not a sing of what to come with bigger crust movement.
just adding this was in august. The sound of the event is pretty clear.

edit on 10-9-2014 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Dolby_X

That guy is brave!

I would have ran away as fast and far as possible.

Didn't he see the movie "2012"?

LOL

Nice find though S + F

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Pretty good timing. If I went there and waited for that picture it would never happen. I would stop filming to leave a leak and it would pop.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Wow, that's pretty amazing!
Very lucky to have caught that on video. Also lucky it wasn't more than just a gentle lifting of the crust.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Wow! I cannot imagine going there myself... but really awesome that he got to film it!

S&F!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
here's another interesting link that shows pics from the area when that happened:

geotripper.blogspot.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pasiphae

nice catch

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Granite exfoliating isn't rare. It's why granite boulders are predominantly round or rounded. For example, the world famous half-dome.

What's shown here isn't a "big chunk" of the Sierra Nevada range either. More like a single sand grain on a beach.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
We had similar in last summer, due the hot wave bedrock fractured.
Vimeo
Very unusual in Finland

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

maybe but it still nice to see for a guy like me who cant realy go outside due to a #$%#$% cancer !

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
That is super cool. What an adventure to have on an otherwise dull rock! I live in granite country and have never noticed this, but will keep a sharp eye open from now on. Thanks for the video and the nature lesson.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Stupid and lucky all at once.

"Look, I am documenting my own death."

In the beginning when the camera panned down hill it looks like a slide zone down there. That actually becomes active while he is standing on parts of the slide that haven't slid yet.

When that rock fractured, bits of granite flew like frag from a grenade. Two strikes, dude.

Next time it rains that bit may go. Film that from across the valley, mmmkay?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
That's awesome to get to observe a geological event like that that doesn't involve a fiery death or a building falling on your head.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
That's crazy! I've never heard of such a thing.
If it's just boulders fracturing, then why would the earth lift up and then drop back down?

I have probably learned more about our planet in the last 10 years via internet than I have in the last 50+years.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Granite exfoliates when pressure builds up. Lots of examples of this in Yosemite...very cool, but not always safe to be around.

books.google.com... a=X&ei=Mb0QVJ_oLeW8igLb94DIDg&ved=0CGYQ6AEwBzgU#v=onepage&q=granite%20exfoliation&f=false

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one

That guy is brave!

I would have ran away as fast and far as possible.

Didn't he see the movie "2012"?

LOL

Nice find though S + F

It is like all the videos of the big sink holes that just swallow everything... I don't understand why people are standing there and calmly filming it.
There are 2 options a) they know exactly what they are doing or b) they are extremely stupid, but lucky.

I mean something like this... I mean, common, it swallow large trees, why would you want to stand there?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: aLLeKs

That video is so unnerving. It seems like trees falling in at first but when they don't settle and the very tips get pulled straight down and the water starts roiling you realize that there is suction going on.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I thought it was cool too. Some people are too cool (read: pretentious) to be impressed by and enjoy anything (I know I used to be one when I was a bit younger).
edit on 10-9-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

bah with the time when you are used to something you become "jaded"

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Granite exfoliating isn't rare. It's why granite boulders are predominantly round or rounded. For example, the world famous half-dome.

What's shown here isn't a "big chunk" of the Sierra Nevada range either. More like a single sand grain on a beach.

Really? Man, it would be nice if you'd post your collection of exfoliating rock videos then, and quite being so stingy with them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join