It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO agrees cyber attack could trigger military response

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
NATO agrees cyber attack could trigger military response

NEWPORT Wales (Reuters) - NATO leaders agreed on Friday that a large-scale cyber attack on a member country could be considered an attack on the entire U.S.-led alliance, potentially triggering a military response.

news.yahoo.com...

So now they can make a False Flag cyber attack and than start a war ?

At least those attacks can be easily masqueraded, they fail at the normal ones nowadays, so it makes sense now to have the cyber attack option.
edit on 5-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Oh man, that's just ridiculous. But you're right at least NATO can make up some lame excuse now to attack Russia, east Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Iran, China, North Korea, or anyone else they want to conquer. No real provocation needed at all now just the say so of some cyber geeks.

Wonderful. I see now why that Russian General is demanding Russia change it nuclear strategy to allow for preemptive first strike.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
How would a cyber attack start a war? BS BS BS

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

We have wars on terror, might as well have one on computers.

Unseen enemies lurking everywhere…

I'm sorry, your computer is under arrest.

All privately owned computers "must go".

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Oh man, that's just ridiculous. But you're right at least NATO can make up some lame excuse now to attack Russia, east Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Iran, China, North Korea, or anyone else they want to conquer. No real provocation needed at all now just the say so of some cyber geeks.

Wonderful. I see now why that Russian General is demanding Russia change it nuclear strategy to allow for preemptive first strike.

Amazing,

We`ll go Down in History as having Died in "The Great Email Wars of the 21st Century."

Peace

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
By hook or by crook they will make war .I just hope that what I see in other comments about the truth to these conflicts and wars of aggression being made on other sites has it's effect into the peoples minds .I know there are pros out there keeping the bs going but if you pay attention you notice a lot of people figuring it out .They (the war machine) really do need the masses to be on their side to get the OK it would seem . a reply to: BornAgainAlien

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Russia to Hold Major Nuclear Exercise
by Mike Hoffman on September 4, 2014

Read more: defensetech.org...
Defense.org

"Russian Defence Ministry officials announced that nuclear forces will conduct “combat missions in conditions of active radio-electronic jamming and intensive enemy actions in areas of troop deployment.” Russian troops will also work to counter “irregular units and high-precision weapons.”

wonderfull.
If u think a civilian passenger jet can go "oppps",,how about a nuclear missle opps.?

insanity.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

If u think a civilian passenger jet can go "oppps",,how about a nuclear missle opps.?

Those military drills will be conducted in Altai a region very far away from Ukrainian border.
Altai is bordering Kazakhstan, China, Mongolia.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
We are in an age of reliance on the cyber infrastructure, many of our government faculties and financial institutions on which we rely, rely on it, it is essential.

While it might seem flippant it isn't. A major cyber attack, and it does say major on the report, is potentially damaging to the citizens and governments of nations.

I say, it is a good thing, and it also isn't new, it is stated in Article 222 of theSolidarity Clause of the Lisbon Treaty, it is just NATO alliance confirmation of similar integrated strategy.

www.notre-europe.eu...

news.yahoo.com...

NEWPORT Wales (Reuters) - NATO leaders agreed on Friday that a large-scale cyber attack on a member country could be considered an attack on the entire U.S.-led alliance, potentially triggering a military response.

The decision marks an expansion of the organisation's remit, reflecting new threats that can disable critical infrastructure, financial systems and government without firing a shot.

"Today we declare that cyber defence is part of NATO's core task of collective defence," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told a news conference.

In 2007, a series of crippling cyber attacks paralysed much of NATO member Estonia in an apparent response to a dispute over the movement of a Soviet-era war memorial. Most Western experts suspected the Kremlin was responsible but Russia denied it.

edit on 5-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I have faith in the common sense of most.

Not so in the ones calling the shots sadly.

I`m still scratching my head about this one though, my bald spot just got a lot bigger. Attacking a country because of a cyber attack, that`s absolutely insane...you really must be desperate for war if you agree to something like this...and they agreed...?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just in case there is no cyber attack NATO is planning for that too.

*GEN. BRADSHAW, NATO’S DEPUTY SUPREME COMMANDER: NATO REACTION FORCE COULD BE DEPLOYED PREEMPTIVELY

Russia's response - "not surprised" NATO is trying to dominate Europe, adding that "NATO plans undermine the Ukraine peace process."[

Link

Obviously when you have a war to start you need every tool available.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Whilst I do agree that major cyber attacks should have such a response potential as the recent NATO conference agreement.

I do, however realise that NATO seems hell bent on warring Russia, which IMO is stupid. The recent sanctions are an example.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
a reply to: Bassago

Whilst I do agree that major cyber attacks should have such a response potential as the recent NATO conference agreement.

I do, however realise that NATO seems hell bent on warring Russia, which IMO is stupid. The recent sanctions are an example.

They already have a weapon which seems more appropriate to me, counter cyber attacks. While cyber attacks can be damaging in the physical world, for me there is still a divide between them. I look more at it from something really being physical as to something which is much less so.

...a source within the administration speaking on the condition of anonymity said that the new cyber-policies have set the way for the military and U.S. intelligence agencies to deploy cyberweapons against other nations.

www.zdnet.com...

I had to think about this when I read about going from cyber attack to physical as response:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Using their type of logic a few years back it would have been the perfect pretext for Iran to go after whoever created the virus that screwed up their atomic energy program .With this foolish preemptive strike policy floating around it may be a good reason to dig a big hole in the earth in which to avoid any fall-out .Then there are the war hawks that will actually say that it is possible for one side or the other to actually win such a nightmare situation . a reply to: BornAgainAlien

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is just common sense. If somebody hits a NATO nation and takes out its power grid, financial markets, etc. The damage done would be worse than if somebody launched an airstrike on them. This is of course a result of the Cyber attack on Estonia in 2007 combined with Russia becoming more agressive. The fact that NATO has waited this long just goes to show how inactive the alliance has been. Shriking defense budgets, ignoring potential threats, and being slow to make changes just shows how NATO was becoming a relic. Now all that has changed.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
How would a cyber attack start a war? BS BS BS

Here goes. Country A breaks into and hacks the military control computers of country B (which is actually possible though very hard to do). Country A's hackers open up a missile silo (or any other random number). Country A "detects" the activity and starts accusing country B of displaying an 'act of war' and the whole thing starts rolling.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Speaking of Cyber Attacks,,

"the United States has agreed with Australia to deploy Marines to the continent as part of the U.S. "pivot" to Asia. China has increased cyber attacks on Taiwan, increasing experience for China, for cyberwarfare for use against the United States."

Interesting,,

"US Reassures China as 2,500 Marines Head to Australia"
Aug. 12, 2014

"SYDNEY — The United States stressed Tuesday it welcomes the rise of China and wants to work constructively with Beijing as it signed a deal to deploy 2,500 Marines to Australia as part of its “rebalance” to Asia.
China bristled when the agreement to deploy Marines to the northern city of Darwin was first announced by President Barack Obama in 2011."

www.defensenews.com...

ohh by the way,,

now,

Good thing the Chinese Cyber attack recently on the United States Medical Data,,didn't involve a Nato member,,

ohh wait.??
maybe im missing something.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
This is just common sense. If somebody hits a NATO nation and takes out its power grid, financial markets, etc. The damage done would be worse than if somebody launched an airstrike on them. This is of course a result of the Cyber attack on Estonia in 2007 combined with Russia becoming more agressive. The fact that NATO has waited this long just goes to show how inactive the alliance has been. Shriking defense budgets, ignoring potential threats, and being slow to make changes just shows how NATO was becoming a relic. Now all that has changed.

No, the neo-cons have failed to prop up their bank-accounts as much as they wished :

Canada and Germany derail NATO request to increase military spending targets

But Germany and Canada have both said they won’t agree to NATO’s two per cent target.

“We are open to increasing military spending when and where it makes sense and in response to particular needs,” a senior Canadian government official said. “But the notion of setting an arbitrary target does not make sense.”

news.nationalpost.com...

edit on 5-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Good catch ..thing that make you go mmm . I would think that the Bear is well aware of this and have brought it up .They keep on playing every side of this snafu and we are left with a dribble of spit running down our chins .. a reply to: BobAthome

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Wait a sec.....Doesn't or hasn't Israel done a lot of these to the US?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join