It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama signs $8.7 billion food stamp cut into law

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

You know nothing about the Marine Corps.

Work hard, play hard is the kind of people I click with. The Marine Corps also looks after their own, even when they get in trouble. I can't say the same about FRCSE based out of NAS JAX.

In my COM/NAV work center most sat around and played computer games/surfed the web/played grab ass while at work, then take leave when the new WoW type of video games would come out so they could sit at home and play the game for days at a time. Not the kind of people I like to be around on a daily basis.

It did piss me off that I was one of the few would troubleshoot avionics on a daily basis and was actually productive in my work center, but got unfavorable evals and then a less than honorable discharge. I scored in the 99th percentile on 2 of the 3 advancement exams I took.

Like I said, the Navy's loss. I am better off and much happier with out them. I do not want to collect food stamps, but seeing that I am not employable by most peoples standards, I do not have much of an option.

Again I will ask:

What does promote the General Welfare mean to you?
edit on 9-9-2014 by jrod because: cleanup

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

You have no clue soldier.

Not a soldier. Never was.

The bait fish are thick at the beach, time for me to go fishing.

Good for you.

I am only online because I am searching for work online. If it weren't so difficult to get a Restricted Species Commercial Saltwater products I could sell the fish I catch for money.

Well that is super fantastic.

I have learned to take what I can get.

Or, happy to get what is taken from someone else.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Did you not claim to be in the military?

You were not in the Navy or Marine Corps. Since the rank First Sergeant is only used by the Army and Marine Corps I made a logical deduction there.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You have no clue soldier.

The bait fish are thick at the beach, time for me to go fishing.

I am only online because I am searching for work online. If it weren't so difficult to get a Restricted Species Commercial Saltwater products I could sell the fish I catch for money.

I have learned to take what I can get.

Thats what bugs me. I have a 20 yr old daughter who is looking for a career.. has the education and etc. EVERYTHING is online and no face to face walk in the door anymore. When I was working you had a lot more facetime with potential employers. I learned that most job hunting is online, and I think a lot of us older folks ( 40's, 50's, +) think youre playing and chatting and not working because you have internet svc. Now Im sure that IS the case many times, but we have to learn not to assume that for everyone.

The people worry about with these cuts are the people who are on welfare who NEED the foodstamps. It never hurts the bad guys and abusers. I know several recipients and Im most concerned about the elderly and those with young children to be honest. A man or woman of working age should be able to survive if not thrive. This isnt a 3rd world country. We are rich here and poor doesnt mean the same as elsewhere. You CAN survive and eat.. no reason you cant if you have the skills or bothered to learn them. The able but lazy SHOULD starve. We have to help the weak and infirm. They need our help and protection. WHen this happens and even now actually, we need to assist our fellow Americans. We need to make the effort individually or collectively. NO ONE should go hungry in this country.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You know nothing about the Marine Corps.

Yep...sure sure.

Work hard, play hard is the kind of people I click with and those who look after their own.

Everything that you have stated within this thread is more along the lines of "If I fail, blame someone else".

In my COM/NAV work center most sat around and played computer games/surfed the web/played grab ass while at work, then take leave when the new WoW type of video games would come out so they could sit at home and play the game for days at a time. Not the kind of people I like to be around on a daily basis.

And that means what to anyone?

It did piss me off that I was one of the few would troubleshoot avionics on a daily basis and was actually productive in my work center, but got unfavorable evals and then a less than honorable discharge. I scored in the 99th percentile on 2 of the 3 advancement exams I took.

Good for you.
Too bad you got a DUI, failed to complete the Alcohol Program and got bounced out.

Like I said, the Navy's loss. I am better off and much happier with out them.

Yep, they definitely lost a Great Sailor and Leader.
So, how many tears were shed when you were bounded out?

I do not want to collect food stamps, but seeing that I am not employable by most peoples standards, I do not have much of an option.

Yeah, I know......that is all that matters. That you "do not want......" I mean, we can't hold people up to a certain standard. It is all based on what your intentions are/were and what your feelings behind said intentions is what really matter.
I would give someone my left nut to get into a time machine, go back, work to get you enlisted into the Marines just to see how your mentality would float there.

Again I will ask:

And again, I retort, what is stated within that Document.....your answer is there.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Richn777
Move to North Dakota

Moving to North Dakota and completely screwing the country up with fracking can alleviate my own financial situation but there are 150 million others like me. We can't all move to North Dakota, so ultimately it doesn't matter if it's me or someone else that gets that job. It's completely interchangeable, look at it from beyond an individual level. So rather than provide an out for a handful of people why not try to actually fix the problem? Bring jobs back to the US, reverse the trend of declining wages, and use a safety net to fill the gaps until wages can recover?

originally posted by: macman
Now, why would you even utilize 1-9 then?? If everyone starts out at 10, there is no basis for the lower numbers.

Not true, if the scale becomes 10-100 numbers 0-9 don't simply disappear bringing the new scale to 1-90. In programming terms it's like saying max(Random.randInt(0, 100), 10).

And I love that all other aspects of life, like the Progressive interpretation of the Constitution is dynamic in nature, and has Ebb and Flow, yet the economic standing of people should/has to be static.
The world has changed, so has the job market.

Yet by your own admission the world needs burger flippers. If we need the job shouldn't they be able to support themselves? If a job has to be done but it doesn't pay a wage which allows the person to afford to work that job, well... there's a word for that.

Okay, maybe you should go and research what pays for the large portion of public transportation. Even in your response above, you state the Ohio public transit system is paid by 50% of fares. Where does that other 50% come from??

The other 50% comes from taxes. Having to generate half of your own operating revenue is hardly being a massive drain on the economy. Though it does act as a regressive cost on transportation for the poor.

Yeah….where I perform work for my compensation, the person receiving Govt handouts isn't working for those handouts.
And why do I earn more than another person, or they earn more than me?? Experience + knowledge + applied understanding + skill = X wage,

You earn a higher wage because you extort your employer and refuse to contribute for less. The people recieving government handouts such as in my case, worked and paid into the system. The only program where that isn't the case requires the person to have children.

You and others have a skill that are not needed right now.
How does one fix this???? Go learn a skill that is in demand.

My skill set encompasses virtually anything having to do with computers, it's quite broad though I'm better in some areas than others. That doesn't make the jobs appear though.

The job market does not, and will not conform to your skills. You must conform to the job markets needs of a skill.

So your solution is that I go back to school and obtain another degree. Ok, lets take that suggestion. How do I pay for school? How do I pay to support myself while in school? The student loan trap? Your suggestion creates just as many problems as it solves.

And again. Since YOUR chances of failure are high, don’t be surprised when you do.
Having plans has little to do with your plan for expected failure.

What sane person doesn't expect failure when 90% of businesses fail? The only people who don't are the ones who also think a position is correct just because it happens to be the side they've chosen. Essentially the people that are too stupid to realize they're stupid.

originally posted by: Aazadan
Were company towns slavery? If not, then what were they? The poor today are essentially living in company towns.

Okay Alinsky.

So what were they? If company towns weren't slavery surely you must be able to categorize them as something. Then again you support usury so maybe you really don't see it.

Yep….because that damn loan officer snuck up behind him the day after he turned 18, put a bag over his head, drove him to the bank and made him sign the contract for a student loan….
Yep, very very predator in deed.

Both sides agreeing to the terms of a contract doesn't make the contract fair. Especially when one side has zero negotiating power in said contract.

And we have hit the dumbest statement on the internet this morning.
The country was not designed as you envision it.
Maybe go back and do some research into the formation of it.

Funny, my thought is saying these same words right back to you. The country was not designed the way you claim it was or should be. What you're arguing for is a change to the country away from it's founding principals. As I already suggested, Singapore lines up with your beliefs and you have the means to move there. Why not move there rather than try to change America?

I never said I was completely against taxes. I am against a Fed Govt using a Progressive Tax to implement punitive actions against people that succeed in life, only to be Santa Clause for those that are not as successful so they can buy votes.

Those who lobby for the current tax structure are large corporations, they're the ones buying votes. A progressive tax system (which becomes more regressive by the day) and food so that people don't starve isn't buying votes.

SO again, without Govt, these items would never become….

The Laser, space travel, barcodes, certain medications, and even the laptop I'm using to type this never would have been invented without a government doing it. Certain other inventions would. The private sector is very good at inventing technologies that fill an obvious need. That doesn't encompass every technology however.

Why not 14%?? It makes me itchy. 13% screams too loud. 22% is just above drinking age and may not be able to handle the stress and 50% is too much.

In other words, you can't express why you support 15%. You've just picked a number and tax structure and blindly support it with no research as to the why behind that point.

Well then Mr. Student with no higher job that Whopper Flopper. Please do explain Macro Economics. I can’t wait to read it.

Macro economics deals with the economy on a broader scale than an individual business which is the branch known as micro economics. Macro economics is for example where you look to see the effect of a change to the minimum wage. It's also the scale you look at when determining social programs such as food stamps.

They deserve the wage the market has for their service.
If they want a higher wage, go get a job that has that higher wage. Of course, they will need to work their way there….unless we should just start everyone off as Lower Management, like a 10.

Lower management on a linear scale is more along the lines of a 30. On an exponential scale such as real income they're closer to about a 17. But these aren't concepts I expect you to grasp, you've displayed zero ability thus far to quantify data.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

www.dice.com...

837 jobs, tech jobs in Columbus alone.

jobsearch.monster.com...

1000+ jobs.

Great so you've listed jobs in Columbus. I don't live in Columbus. I could, but it would require giving up on school and learning a skill as you put it. Should my choice be a low level job for life or an education? Here, these are for my zip code:
www.dice.com...

jobsearch.monster.com...

0 jobs on dice. 7 jobs on Monster.

Of those 7:
UPS - Full time, seasonal. Not a sustainable job or something that can be done with a class schedule.
National Guard - Advertisement, not a job.
Sales - Outside my skill set
More sales - I'm not a salesperson.
HHA - I don't have medical training
AT&T - Wants 3 years experience in telecommunication sales. Not qualified.
Mental Health Counselor - Not qualified.

So we have 1 non job, 5 jobs I'm not qualified for (sales and healthcare), and 1 more I could do but requires dropping out of school and is just a seasonal position.

I can just feel the opportunity.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Actually.....First Sargent, or First Shirt as used within the US Air Force, which is denoted by a diamond between the upward facing chevrons and the downward facing chevrons. And...those within the Air Force, where you stated you studied the rank structure, don't call themselves Soldiers. Airman is the term used.

It is not a Rank, but a Title for the highest ranking NCO within a Squadron that is directly tied to the Commander of said Squad. And Commander is a title as well, as any Officer above an O-3 can serve in this position.

I think your claimed study of the Air Force Rank Structure is about as spot on as your study and understanding of the Constitution.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

So, you choose to live where the jobs are not. And then cry about it.

Seems you can solve your own issue....but refuse to do so.

All I can say is enjoy life in fastfood.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That is not what happen. I passed their 28 day program. Please do not make assumptions based on scanty evidence. It really makes you look ignorant.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I'm sure on your deathbed you'll be saying you wish you worked harder and payed less taxes.

While smiling at the thought that you helped people who made 'poor life choices' get what was coming to them.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

First Sergeant is not an official rank of the Air Force, you have Tech Sergeants, Master Sergeants, Senior Master, and Chief Master. Apparently First Sergeant is a title given to a high ranking Admin NCO. I did not know that until just now, however I knew damn well that you guys are called Airman. I was an Airman in the Navy(twice).

Chair Force. You do not know the meaning of hard work, I should have known based on your arrogance.

I joined the Navy because I love the ocean, the Air Force would have loved to have me given my eligibility for a security clearance and ASVAB scores.
edit on 9-9-2014 by jrod because: fix

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Not true, if the scale becomes 10-100 numbers 0-9 don't simply disappear bringing the new scale to 1-90. In programming terms it's like saying max(Random.randInt(0, 100), 10).

We are not talking about programming. We are talking about everyone starting at 10, with 0-9 being below it. So, everyone is a 10, just like everyone now starts out at $20hr for work. And it all cascades upwards, eliminating any real use of the arbitrary use of 10.

Yet by your own admission the world needs burger flippers. If we need the job shouldn't they be able to support themselves? If a job has to be done but it doesn't pay a wage which allows the person to afford to work that job, well... there's a word for that.

The world needs people to work the low end jobs. They are paid what their skillset brings.

The other 50% comes from taxes. Having to generate half of your own operating revenue is hardly being a massive drain on the economy. Though it does act as a regressive cost on transportation for the poor.

So, it is offset by taxes then. Interesting.
So, others have to offset life for those that don’t have a car.

You earn a higher wage because you extort your employer and refuse to contribute for less.

Perhaps you should go and research what extort means…Again, the Alinksy BS won’t fly with me.
I refuse to work for less. But, since they offer a certain wage, and I perform the work for that wage, there is no entitlement nor extortion. If they didn’t pay the wage, I would go elsewhere. YOU would probably riot, loot and protest.

The people recieving government handouts such as in my case, worked and paid into the system. The only program where that isn't the case requires the person to have children.

Well, that is great. You paid into a system and suck out of it.
I pay into the system and have not.
But, because I don’t suckle the teat, I pay more.
Yep, no theft there.

My skill set encompasses virtually anything having to do with computers, it's quite broad though I'm better in some areas than others. That doesn't make the jobs appear though.

Sounds like you need more experience and will not have any reason to “demand” a certain wage.
I bet this is societies fault.

So your solution is that I go back to school and obtain another degree. Ok, lets take that suggestion. How do I pay for school? How do I pay to support myself while in school? The student loan trap? Your suggestion creates just as many problems as it solves.

My suggestion is to make choices that lead to success. It is up to you to come up with the plan, spend the money or whatever it takes.
Do you want a mommy and daddy to make your choices for you?

What sane person doesn't expect failure when 90% of businesses fail? The only people who don't are the ones who also think a position is correct just because it happens to be the side they've chosen. Essentially the people that are too stupid to realize they're stupid.

Well, enjoy your failure. Nothing more really to address there.

So what were they? If company towns weren't slavery surely you must be able to categorize them as something. Then again you support usury so maybe you really don't see it.

Please, while you research extortion, also look into slavery.

Both sides agreeing to the terms of a contract doesn't make the contract fair. Especially when one side has zero negotiating power in said contract.

So, he had no way of not signing the contract???? That damn Predator!!!! Was it the laser on his shoulder that did it? Maybe those hideous eyes and fangs.

Funny, my thought is saying these same words right back to you. The country was not designed the way you claim it was or should be. What you're arguing for is a change to the country away from it's founding principals. As I already suggested, Singapore lines up with your beliefs and you have the means to move there. Why not move there rather than try to change America?

And add how the country was formed. Please, please please , with sugar and sprinkles provide me one Govt program created 20 years after the Constitution was implemented that has Govt based welfare.

Those who lobby for the current tax structure are large corporations, they're the ones buying votes. A progressive tax system (which becomes more regressive by the day) and food so that people don't starve isn't buying votes.

Are you kidding me???
As politician after politician offer up more and more Govt based handouts, you think this isn’t buying votes from those that they are aiming at??

The Laser, space travel, barcodes, certain medications, and even the laptop I'm using to type this never would have been invented without a government doing it. Certain other inventions would. The private sector is very good at inventing technologies that fill an obvious need. That doesn't encompass every technology however.

Gotta have Govt there to provide stuff with no need.

In other words, you can't express why you support 15%. You've just picked a number and tax structure and blindly support it with no research as to the why behind that point.

I ask you. Why not 15%?
I never stated I picked it out of thin air.

Macro economics deals with the economy on a broader scale than an individual business which is the branch known as micro economics. Macro economics is for example where you look to see the effect of a change to the minimum wage. It's also the scale you look at when determining social programs such as food stamps.

Well, thanks for providing a condensed Google search result for me.

Lower management on a linear scale is more along the lines of a 30. On an exponential scale such as real income they're closer to about a 17. But these aren't concepts I expect you to grasp, you've displayed zero ability thus far to quantify data.

Can I do a google search as well, and provide you with a generic retort??? Give me about 10 minutes to review what I find for this.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

That is not what happen. I passed their 28 day program. Please do not make assumptions based on scanty evidence. It really makes you look ignorant.

So assumptions are only allowed by you.....k...got it.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

I'm sure on your deathbed you'll be saying you wish you worked harder and payed less taxes.

While smiling at the thought that you helped people who made 'poor life choices' get what was coming to them.

Seeing as that money taken from me could have been used to provide for MY family....I don't see that happening.

The last part.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

First Sergeant is not an official rank of the Air Force, you have Tech Sergeants, Master Sergeants, Senior Master, and Chief Master. Apparently First Sergeant is a title given to a high ranking Admin NCO. I did not know that until just now, however I knew damn well that you guys are called Airman. I was an Airman in the Navy(twice).

Thought you studied the Rank Structure and took it upon yourself to know these things.
How exactly were you an Airman in the Navy??

Chair Force. You do not know the meaning of hard work, I should have known based on your arrogance.

Coming from someone that got bounced due to a DUI....don't really see where your insult would insult anyone.

I joined the Navy because I love the ocean, the Air Force would have loved to have me given my eligibility for a security clearance and ASVAB scores.

And yet you chose the Navy, and got bounced out.

Don't think that the Air Force would have been a good fit either.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I do not make assumptions based on scanty evidence. I make logical deductions.

You have proven yourself ignorant of military ranks AND the US Constitution.

I am done trying to have an intelligent discussion with you.

FYI, Airman is an official rank of the US Navy. I was an ATAN twice.

Keep up with the personal attacks while avoiding a simple question.

What does Promote the General Welfare mean to you?
edit on 9-9-2014 by jrod because:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I do not make assumptions based on scanty evidence. I make logical deductions.

I love the "It's different" approach. Very....Progressive.

You have proven yourself ignorant of military ranks AND the US Constitution.

I am done trying to have an intelligent discussion with you.

Well, that is the saddest thing I have read all day.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

FYI, Airman is an official rank of the US Navy. I was an ATAN twice.

Well, I guess that someone that was busted down in rank would know this. Good on you??? I think.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

First Sergeant in the Navy? Are you serious?

My command had a vendetta against DUIs so they put my head on the chopping block. Their loss more than mine. I have many shipmates and friends who have DUIs and other arrests without finding themselves in my kind situation. Truly the luck of the draw.

The United States Navy had poor leadership when I was in. I regret not joining the Marine Corps.

Keep playing the blame game!

Someone answer please this question:

Hate to agree with Maceman but if you got caught with a DUI and ended up chucked out the navy that is kinda your fault......

You broke your terms of service.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join