It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Onesided Destruction of Christianity in America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Yet over the last year, I have not seen these supposed anti-religious groups attack any other religion except Christianity.

So why is that?

US Atheist Group Targets Muslims and Jews

When was the last time you saw a concerted effort to place Talmuds or Books of the Dead in every hotel room in the country?
When was the last time a group of Muslims or Buddhists had an organized, official prayer at a sporting event?
When have you heard of a National Cemetery erecting a huge Star of David?
What books did the Navy just ban from their lodges? Bibles. WHY? Because Christians put them there. No other religion demands that their holy books be distributed in this fashion.

The ONLY reason people are pushing against Christianity is that Christianity pushed first. People are pushing BACK at the pervasive thrust by Christianity to be involved in EVERYTHING. Christians are pushing their beliefs in law (gay marriage is just one example) and people are simply sick of it.

If Christians want to be respected by the rest of society, they're going to have to back off - or else be pushed back.
edit on 8/13/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

You are correct, the same people who appear to bash Christianity, whilst support Islam, Wicca, and other religions are extremely intolerant, while claiming to be tolerant.

When someone desperately wants to stop anyone from doing anything
they are intolerant, bigoted, and ...ist
do you think the government should ban anything you think is unhealthful or goes against your values?
then you are intolerant
Once one crosses the line of wanting to force others to not believe something, or do something that doesn't harm anyone else, they then are intolerant

It is fascinating that the very people who scream tolerance and acceptance are the very ones
who want to destroy those that disagree with with their version of tolerance.
There are actually those who have said the government should kill those who disagree with climate change.
www.climatedepot.com... art-punishing-them-now/ Ironic how the vast majority of these people see themselves as tolerant

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: spelling

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
christians can pray anywhere they want. read your bible and discover how jesus taught you how to pray. one of the apostles also instructs you to pray without stopping...
you just want to be like the pharisees and saducees
in public where you will be noticed
christ knew his new church would be soon persecuted and put to death if they were not careful so he was careful to teach his church not to be too overbearing within society
because if they acted like many of today's christians the lions would have ended up gorging themselves to death much sooner and for a much longer period of time

live and let live!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Want to hear something funny about those Ten Commandment monuments? They were all just promotional materials for the Ten Commandments movie with Charlton Heston.

'Ten Commandments' went from film to stone

DeMille actually helped establish the battleground. He played a role in getting the granite replica of the Commandments placed outside the Texas Capitol. He skillfully avoided footing the bill for the tablets, leaving that to the Fraternal Order of Eagles. The service organization was already distributing written copies of the Commandments across America in 1951, in hopes of combatting juvenile delinquency.

DeMille's Ten Commandments premiered in 1956. Learning of the Eagles' work — and keen to promote his film with their cause — the director encouraged the group to donate carved stone tablets like those that star Charlton Heston, as Moses, brandished in the movie.

The Eagles then donated such tablets for display at city halls, county courthouses, state capitols and public parks around the country. The group got around to Austin in 1961 when the state Legislature accepted the monument as a gift.

That whole controversy is over a marketing stunt...

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No way... good grief lol.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Not a Week goes by when we don't read or hear of another Atheist Group trying to force its views on Christianity.

Not a Week goes by when we don't read or hear of another Christian Group trying to force its views on America. (see what I did there?)

It's a two way street man. We got people protesting abortion clinics. The WBC protesting funerals of fallen soldiers.
Religious groups protesting books they don't like. Music they don't like.

If you can't take the heat. Get out of the kitchen.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
christians can pray anywhere they want. read your bible and discover how jesus taught you how to pray. one of the apostles also instructs you to pray without stopping...
you just want to be like the pharisees and saducees
in public where you will be noticed
christ knew his new church would be soon persecuted and put to death if they were not careful so he was careful to teach his church not to be too overbearing within society
because if they acted like many of today's christians the lions would have ended up gorging themselves to death much sooner and for a much longer period of time

live and let live!

I agree with the live and let live

Why not let the Christians live the life they want

As for Bibles in hotel rooms, no one ever forced anyone to read them. I've also seen Korans in hotel rooms, and The Book of Mormon in hotel rooms. So what? Who cares? Just because they are in a drawer means nothing unless you want to be offended. No one is forcing anyone to read them.

Should I be offended by all the advertising booklets and pamphlets in hotel rooms and in tons of public places. No.

I don't have to pick them up, touch them, or read them.

An extension of this thinking is to ban all advertising books (booklets) in hotel rooms because they are pushing their places of business on us and forcing us to choose them over other places of business. (absurd)

How is anyone hurt by a book left in a drawer, if one doesn't want to read or touch or look at the book, they don't have to, they can even throw it away in a trash can outside the room if they want it out of sight. But to scream like little babies about tolerance whilst being extremely intolerant is ridiculous.

As for those supporting Muslim prayer rooms while saying Christians can do their "thing" anywhere so shouldn't have a small chapel is hypocritical at best. Again being tolerant whist being extremely intolerant. Either both get their little rooms or both don't. One having it while the other can't is the height of intolerance.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Kind of like how getting kids to say the Pledge of Allegiance was part of a marketing campaign for a magazine and yet if anyone suggests that the words "under God" (added in 1954) be removed from the pledge, it's an attack on Christianity and the FF.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: grandmakdw

It is fascinating that the very people who scream tolerance and acceptance are the very ones
who want to destroy those that disagree with with their version of tolerance.
There are actually those who have said the government should kill those who disagree with climate change

Do you consider yourself to be tolerant? Quote from a post a week or so ago:

Africa is rife with minerals, gems, and rich farmland that the rest of the world sees going to waste with tribal warfare, slavery, a lack of regard for any human life, and morals that have left many countries with an average population age of 15 due to the spread of AIDS.

I wouldn't put it past TPTB to try and purposely wipe out 50-90% of the population of Africa to get at the minerals and gems and to finally put the farmland into the hands of people who know how to make the continent bloom.

Seems to me that you were making a case for wiping out Africans with diseases so that all their mineral deposits and arable land could be put to "better use." As to your link to a page about a 5 year old anonymous blog post. From the source you linked:

The anonymous posting, dated June 2, 2009, referred to dissenters of man-made global warming fears as “greedy bastards” who use “bogus science or the lowest scientists in the gene pool” to “distort data.”

When did one anonymous person's rantings on the Internet become evidence of anything? Using your logic, a fair analogy would be somebody saying that all conservatives are in favor of killing people to take their land, because you once said so as much in a post on ATS.

Wow I really touched a nerve with you didn't I

what a compliment.

You took those quotes quite out of context. Took some digging too. Thanks for the compliment that my writings affected you so deeply.

I was saying that OTHERS had reasons to want native Africans dead, I certainly don't want them dead, how absurd.

Then you dug so deeply because I must have really really affected your heart
you found an obscure quote from an article I linked to.
Well, that quote is bizarre and I don't even remember why I linked to the entire article. One thing for sure, I don't use that kind of language.

What you have done with this digging and obsessing with what I say is to say that

somehow and in some way I have deeply moved you

and shaken something within you.

A deeply hater response as the one you have given that has little to nothing to do with the OP
is a compliment to my writing to reach your heart.

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: spelling

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yep, I'd say that it is EXACTLY like that.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm still waiting for sources to the following claims in the OP by the way.

Over a year ago the FFRA protested flag pole prayer buy a Christian Bible club at the school because "it gave the impression" the school was supporting Christianity.

Yet at the same school Muslims were allowed to have set aside separate rooms for prayer times so Islamic students didn't have to miss the call to prayer. And they are exempt from their classes while at prayer. But a club can't pray around the flag pole?

Teachers are barred fro m having a Bible on their desk but in the same school teachers are allowed to have a Koran on their desk with no opposition.

Humanism, a religion in and of itself, is allowed free run in all teaching of our children from k-college, from the sciences and math to philosophy and geography. Yet even mention of Christianity is being removed. The humanist Agenda has gotten the sensor beeps to be removed from vulgar profanity in all areas of media, and at the other end now the name of Jesus Christ is beeped out 80% of the time it is used (not peeped out when it is used as a curse 100% of the time, and when it is used in reference to Christianity 80%).

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Live and let live.

The truth is that most "Christians" are Christian in that they go to church and profess a certain belief. The way they live their lives and their attitudes towards the balance of society, is generally not Christian at all. Start acting like Christians and they may find the worm turns the other way. I withdrew from the Christian religion when i realized just how hypocritical the majority was in their behavior and prejudices. I still believe Jesus set a great example for how people should live their lives.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Christianity is the brightest on the radar. It's unfortunate but I am confident they are singled out by atheists the most simply because of their influence on society. If Christianity didn't exist, the focus would be on whatever religion had influence and power over our politics and laws.

You are not being persecuted. You are the bull in the china shop among several small animals. So when the shop owner begins to complain about animals, he'll probably complain about the bull the most.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
You have a great point.

There truly does appear to be a concerted effort on the part of atheists to destroy Christianity. This effort does appear to have become ingrained in the government.

There has been a concerted effort to brainwash people into misunderstanding the constitution.

Ask the average person on the street and I'd bet dollars to donuts that they would say the constitution guarantees
Freedom from religion
when the constitution really says:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I totally agree that it appears that atheists and the US government actually think Christianity is a threat to themselves and want to do away with it.

The irony is they appear to think Islam is not a threat with what appears to be support of Islam, while ISIS or ISIL is currently calling for the death of all non Islamics.

Christians did, I admit, have the crusades,
but also Christians have repented and grown and changed to be totally non-violent and to never more try to force conversion.

ISIS or ISIL is engaged in what will be seen by history as the "great genocidal Crusade of Islam", yet atheists and the government coddle Islam whilst persecuting Christianity.

To those of you who are Muslim, I'm sorry if you are kind, loving and pacifist; but the Christian will always be stained by the crusades; and the Muslim will always be stained by the "great genocide" that is occurring.

You act as if modern genocide and terrorism is some how not also a Christian thing what about The Lords Resistence Army and Knights Templar Cartel, La Familia cartel, Anti-Balaka (a Christian group that was commiting genocide on muslims in CAR until French stepped in a few months ago). Their are many more. Of course they do not get much press because they do not operate in oil rich areas and we give them names like Cartels.

As for destroying Christianity only one group is to blame, Christians. They are out of step with modern society, pro war, anti poor, anti gay, anti everything while taking their followers money and blowing it giant churches and homes. It is pretty easy for most people to read who Jesus was and then see the modern Christian are almost the exact opposite.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Right. You're backtracking now. Whenever somebody promotes genocide, even in a somewhat roundabout way, I find it memorable, particularly over the span of a week. I was using it as an example of how a single person's anonymous post on a website doesn't prove anything about an entire group of people. Which is exactly what you were trying to accomplish with the climate depot link. (look how intolerant THEY are!)

Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say here:

Then you dug so deeply because I must have really really affected your heart
you found an obscure quote from an article I linked to.
Well, that quote is bizarre and I don't even remember why I linked to the entire article. One thing for sure, I don't use that kind of language.

Seems to me that you're conflating religion, politics and global warming in an effort to bolster an argument that you're making to support the OP, which seems to be that there is a grand liberal agenda that includes attacking Christianity.

edit on 2014-8-13 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
I agree with the live and let live

Why not let the Christians live the life they want

They are free to live the life they want, as long as they don't push it on others. If Christians PRACTICED their religion, as is guaranteed in the first amendment, they would pray, go to church, read the bible, sing hymns, raise their children in the church and praise God, and leave other people alone.

Instead, they do all that, PLUS force their viewpoints on others. Their religious symbols are everywhere, they "preach" at people, they knock on doors and pass out paraphernalia, but that's not my complaint.

My complaint is that they work with legal groups to deny others their rights and insert religion into government. They try to legislate morality. If they stayed out of politics and government, I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Romans 13:1&2
“Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment”

If you really believe in "live and let live" stop trying to make abortion and gay marriage illegal. LET PEOPLE LIVE and if you really believe in God, let HIM sort it out.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
Live and let live.

The truth is that most "Christians" are Christian in that they go to church and profess a certain belief. The way they live their lives and their attitudes towards the balance of society, is generally not Christian at all. Start acting like Christians and they may find the worm turns the other way. I withdrew from the Christian religion when i realized just how hypocritical the majority was in their behavior and prejudices. I still believe Jesus set a great example for how people should live their lives.

All Christians are hypocritical. Why do I say that?

Because Christians are people, people make mistakes, people do wrong, people hurt others, all people.

Heretic: Why do you think I have those views on abortion and homosexuals? You are projecting your prejudice on me. As for Abortion, my view is not at all what you think, I won't say what it is because that is not what the OP is about, but not what you think. Nor is my view on homosexuality what you presume. This assumption is as intolerant as you accuse Christians of being.
Christians can not and can never be perfect, because no human is ever perfect.

Real Christians strive to live like Christ would want them to live, to be kind, to be loving, to love people who do wrong and not judge them. That is the standard, but it is also a standard Christians do not meet, rather than strive for. They are also affected by their upbringing and culture and come out of the culture with it's prejudices and judgements.

But Christians are just people, regular people and regular real people can not be this all the time, although they may try. Yes, Jesus set the example, but he also acknowledged that average people are weak with prejudices ingrained in them by their parents and culture; as for behavior Jesus also acknowledged the temptations of life (sex, alcohol, etc).

If you find any Christian who is not a hypocrite you have found the incarnation of Jesus. They don't exist.
(Maybe Mother Theresa, who even said she had her weak times in life).

Christians who gather together are trying to do better, are trying to help each other live better lives, are trying to help other people as best they can. They are not perfect, they will never be perfect, they will always be a hypocrite in some way shape or form, because they are just human beings after all.
They hurt others with their words and ideas that are not biblical, but entrenched in their parent's culture, because they are after all just like you, a human being.

I am not perfect, I make mistakes, I hope that people see I am doing the best I can and am striving to live like Jesus,
but understand that in my hypocritical moments, I am just a human being after all, like everyone else.

Don't ever expect a Christian must be perfect to be true to their faith, because they can't.

Who among you who are so upset by my words are perfect,
are not being hypocritical when you do something that is not what you profess to be good for others,
are not being intolerant when you say everyone has to believe as you do to be tolerant.

Maybe within intolerance of Christianity is a misunderstanding of what it is to be a Christian. A Christian is one who strives to be like Christ, who fails, who is sorry, who tries again, who fails, but through the failure gets better each time, through the hypocrisy grows to see their prejudices and tries to do better next time.
Christians in churches are just a bunch of real human beings who regularly fail at being like Christ, but try, fail, try again to love others.

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: grammar etc.

edit on 13-8-2014 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Plenty of people are starting to see this, OP. There are some holdouts who haven't realized the bigotry yet, and they tend to be the most vocal and focused. These tend to be the people that most associate with atheism, much like many associate the vocal fanatics of Christianity with the entirety of the religion. When that is brought up, the response tends to be "oh, I know its not ALL of them," and then they will just continue generalizing and attacking.

The issue compounds when participants from each side clash more and more, all the while each "side" can't see the errors in their ways by attempting to convert and subdue the other. It seems more important to prove each other wrong, ideally with as much condescension as possible, than do anything productive about the issue.

I can't say I agree with everything in your OP, but focusing on those would be asinine. It needs to be understood that both sides of this equation are responsible for the situation, but like anything else, the last place most will look for responsibility is in the mirror. Its much easier to blame some scapegoat.

TL;DR. Zealots on both sides are responsible for what is happening, and they are creating an environment where people feel forced to pick sides.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I don't see it as one-sided at all. What I do see is Christians getting upset when any other religion wants any kind of parity with Christianity. What I do see is the systematic infiltration of society, government, and law by Christians trying to impress their belief system on others. What I do see is Christians misquoting the 'founding fathers' when trying to justify their position in society, government, and law. What I do see is billions of unpaid income, and property taxes by religious organizations. What I do see is 41,000 versions of Christianity all claiming to be the right one.

How do American Christians feel about Sharia? Ooh, no! It's terrible, eh?
And yet they constantly press for their own doctrines to be incorporated into society, government, and law.
Double standard? Ooh, no! "Founding fathers" etc. etc. etc.
Sound familiar?

I don't believe in any deity. Any of them.
I have a suspicion that the God of the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims is the same one. Different stories. Different cast of characters. Different ways of worshiping. Same result every time.
But not YOURS. YOUR god is better than all the others, right? Says so right there on page one of the Ten Commandments. YOUR Middle-Eastern religion makes so much more sense than all the others, right?

Please religious people, look at history and find some comfort that when (and I mean WHEN) your religion is in the minority we atheists won't treat you the way you treated us for centuries.

We are not persecuting. We're not destroying. We are protecting ourselves from mythological nonsense.
The destruction is coming from within your own ranks.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join