It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange effigy, 1987 found off the beaten track....with pics.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In 1987 this effigy was found in woods near the villge of Annbank in Ayrshire Scotland. I lived there at the time and was eager to view it with my own eyes after the press covered it. apart from the items hung round its neck, there were coins and jewellery (Some gold , some costume) scattered over a 5 yard radius with the effigy in the middle. The site where it was found was 40 yards into the most dense area covered by thick under growth and hidden by trees. Of course much conjecture was thrown about, from a hoax, to witch craft, paganism, blood rites etc....but nobody ever got to the bottom of the why it was there.

I thought the ATS members might be able to uncover some of the meaning to the items hung around the effigy....thanks for reading.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Groot!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
is that you fiddlesticks

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's ol' stringy Cheesehead, well in the first picture! or maybe a Witchy curse like sticking a pin into a doll to hurt someone.

edit on 12-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Should have added..it was 6 foot tall almost...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
if you look at the head look closely .. can you see a tiny Nicholas cage ?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: captiva
need a time of year, season.
it looks like the area around the figure is well maintained ,how did it look in person?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Was found in september....the area where it was found was densely planted apart from the immediate area around it....It looked frightening and the guy who was fly fishing beside the river 40 yards away was allegedly scared witless. He went in there to do the toilet. Closest Ive got to any info re the stuff round its kneck was from a local lass who is involved in pagan ritual stuff....she said she thought it was part of a ritual used to call the warrior spirit... ie...gives strength in times of adversity...this idea has been shunned by many other people Ive spoke to about it.. you cant see in the pics but it had 2 horns sticking straight out the front of a carved head.

a reply to: PLAYERONE01

edit on 12-8-2014 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Someone better call Rust Cohle..
That sure is strange ..

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If I was fishing and seen that in the woods alone I would have evacuated my bowel on the spot

That sure is creepy

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
In my own opinion, having seen it where it was found it wasnt a hoax. If it was to scare someone walking the pathway beside the river it would have been much easier to see and find. I also think all the objects round its neck plus the jewellery and coins would be a lot of un needed work for the hoaxer if all they wanted to do was scare someone....the effigy itself would do that..

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Oh that is awesome. I love finding strange things in the woods, even if its an old beer bottle or a deer skull.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Man, I hope you didn't touch that thing. You probably get a curse if you take the stuff that was left.

I wouldn't go into those woods, even if the fish jumped out of the river and into my net and begged me to eat them.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think it is relatively obvious that a person did this. Speculating on why a person would do this is difficult specifically because we do not know whether this person's actions were logical. So I do not see anything highly mysterious about the thing. Especially considering this is an isolated incident. If these were popping up all over the place, especially in so many areas that it would take many different people from across the globe, then I would start to scratch my head...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Wow that is fascinating. I'm intrigued by all the stuff round his neck. Did you happen to get any closer pictures? The thing on the left looks kind of like a Thors hammer.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fisherr
Someone better call Rust Cohle..
That sure is strange ..

Haha! No doubt!

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hi guys....thanks for the interest.. Ive managed to find some more info from people who were around at the time and a couple of pics taken in early October?...which would mean the effigy although stripped of the stuff around its neck was still there at 3 weeks later...

Info...As can be seen in the pic the effigy was made deliberately male..well endowed male. It can also be seen that it was in quite thick shrubland...with only fields between the back of it for 4 miles to the village of Annbank.

The guy in the pic visited on 3rd October when these pic were taken.

respects

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
If someone went to the effort of defining this stick mans gender, they must have used it for more than just scaring people. I don't have anything to add to this thread just hanging out, curious to hear what someone more knowledgeable has to say about various neck adornments

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Looks like some kids dabbling at satan worship in the woods
knife,bones,inverted cross pipe thingy.
Standard icons for the most part

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I don't have any idea about it, but when I scrolled down and saw it, it actually freaked me out a little. Usually nothing weirds me out that I see. Also, for years and years I've seen a weird symbol in my sleep or just as a flash in my mind, and it kind of reminded me of that. It's always freaked me out seeing it, and I've never been able to figure out what it is. Not sure why I related the two.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join