It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: UN votes in favour of draft resolution regarding Israel's actions in Gaza.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The United Nations has just voted in favour of draft resolution S21/L1, which will address the current situation facing Israel and Palestine. From what i could make out through watching the live stream, the draft resolution will call for an end to the war in Gaza, the withdrawal of Israeli troops, and the investigation of potential war crimes committed by Israel (and perhaps Palestinian militants to a lesser extent).

The results of the votes were:

29 votes in favour of the draft resolution.
1 vote in declining the draft resolution
17 abstentions of the draft resolution.

The USA was the only state to decline the draft resolution.

The reason for the many abstentions and the USA refusal, lies on the fact that many believed the draft resolution to be inherently biased. It addressed the Israeli actions in Gaza, but failed to directly raise the Palestinian rocket fire into Israel.

I apologise if there are any errors, as it's 3AM here, lol.

edit on 23-7-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
No offense but..........

What is this going to accomplish?

We know for a fact the UN has done numerous things to try and "fix" the problem between Israel and Palestine......none have ever ever worked.....

I notice its "palestine militants to a lesser extent"

Why is Hamas not being hammered for their attrocities as well? Suicide Bombers, targeting civilians intentionally.......they cant even say "well Israel had equipment there" like Israel does.........hamas is blatant about it....

UN is useless
edit on 7/23/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
dbl
edit on 7/23/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Ya, I don't think much will come of this, except Israel will have to pull back. Perhaps this is just the UN saying "Hey Israel....you're causing quite a bit of a stir internationally. Let us find a way to get you out without looking like you're retreating".

link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
No offense but..........

What is this going to accomplish?

We know for a fact the UN has done numerous things to try and "fix" the problem between Israel and Palestine......none have ever ever worked.....

UN is useless

I agree...

I think the UN needs to get more hands on with these things. Instead of sitting idly by, they should strive to tackle these matters in ways that actually work. Israel has shown time and time again, that it doesn't care for UN rulings. I think it's time to get directly involved in the Israeli/Palestinian dispute...

Also, no offence taken, lol. At least i got this up before any of the mainstream media outlets.

Thanks for the comment.
edit on 23-7-2014 by daaskapital because: clarification

link   
a reply to: daaskapital

The US controls the UN ..and US is the biggest financier of the UN, not to mention the HQ is in NY ..
That makes the UN useless .. and absolutely biased ..they should dismantle it ..as it has not achieved ANYTHING up to now with respect to 'resolutions' against Israel or the US actions ..

link   
Thank you for posting this daaskapital

The UN is investigating Israel, which is good, but need to investigate Hamas as well. There are no innocent parties over there. It probably doesn't matter anyways ... the UN has no teeth. They are corrupt as the day is long. Also - They have their own agenda. I doubt that a real, unbiased, incorrupt investigation of Israel and Hamas could ever take place. Too many nations have their own interests in that part of the world to allow it.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Ya, I don't think much will come of this, except Israel will have to pull back. Perhaps this is just the UN saying "Hey Israel....you're causing quite a bit of a stir internationally. Let us find a way to get you out without looking like you're retreating".

this is true, it could be placation for both sides........im sure UN is aware neither side wants to look like an ass

Although they both are doing a great job of doing so

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

absolutely and thank you for that, one of the many reasons I love ATS its interesting when we get news first and posted as raw as we can...

then to watch the spin after!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
One more for the stack of resolutions against israel that will be ignored ..

By now they can wallpaper the u.n with them..

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Thank you for posting this daaskapital

The UN is investigating Israel, which is good, but need to investigate Hamas as well. There are no innocent parties over there. It probably doesn't matter anyways ... the UN has no teeth. They are corrupt as the day is long. Also - They have their own agenda. I doubt that a real, unbiased, incorrupt investigation of Israel and Hamas could ever take place. Too many nations have their own interests in that part of the world to allow it.

No problems.

Oh, indeed! That was a problem in this draft resolution. I believe it was called on by Palestine, but was submitted by Pakistan (can't remember...lol). So there were inherent biases in it. It made mention of Israeli atrocities, but neglected to directly raise Palestinian rocket fire on Israel. That is why there were so many abstentions, and a USA refusal.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

absolutely and thank you for that, one of the many reasons I love ATS its interesting when we get news first and posted as raw as we can...

then to watch the spin after!

Haha, no worries mate.

Thanks for chiming in.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Maybe the UN should have acknowledged Palestine as a State when it granted Israel Statehood. Whatever, Israel won't listen to the UN anymore than the US does.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
The United Nations has just voted in favour of draft resolution S21/L1, which will address the current situation facing Israel and Palestine. From what i could make out through watching the live stream, the draft resolution will call for an end to the war in Gaza, the withdrawal of Israeli troops, and the investigation of potential war crimes committed by Israel (and perhaps Palestinian militants to a lesser extent).

The results of the votes were:

27 votes in favour of the draft resolution.
17 abstentions of the draft resolution.

Its a start but won't resolve the problem. The blockade on Palestine must be ended as well, otherwise its a slow death anyway. Hopefully whatever conclusions come from an investigation is taking seriously by the world body.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Palestine can't introduce a draft resolution because they aren't recognized by the UN as a State.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Palestine can't introduce a draft resolution because they aren't recognized by the UN as a State.

The UN doesn't have the right to declare what is and isn't a state, but you are correct in implying that Palestine is not a full member of the UN. That is why i believe that Palestine called for a draft resolution, and Pakistan answered by submitting one to the UN.
edit on 23-7-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here's a tweet from the UN:

HRC resolution establishes a commission of inquiry into #humanrights violations in #Gaza, demands that Israel ceases its military assaults.

twitter.com...

Also, an image showing the nation-states involved in the vote:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
end to the war in Gaza, the withdrawal of Israeli troops, and the investigation of potential war crimes committed by Israel (and perhaps Palestinian militants to a lesser extent).

Invasion since 17 of july - 6 days and counting... These draft resolution taked to long and US was in the disposal of delaying it..

war crime investigation (add Potential!?) not gone to happen .. same old .. same old...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

That's why I used the words acknowledge as and recognize as.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

What suicide bombers? None in this conflict. None I can recall since like 2004. Also.. it's not radicalism that drove those people. It's not like the radicals in other Muslim countries doing it in a religious rage. These are people who watched their families oppressed until the day they were killed. If you lived in a state surrounded by other states that oppressed you and then bombed and killed your entire family in search of a few militants roaming around, you have no loved ones left, you might be ready to end it all - and you might want to strike back however possible at the corrupt government that did it. It's desperation not radicalism.

Why you ask to a lesser extent... well because they have committed crimes to a lesser extent.

You think someone who killed almost exclusively invading forces but accidentally killed 2 civilians (one of them at the border aiding forces) deserves to be punished more or equal to a group with high tech weapons that could be used with pinpoint accuracy (but instead chose to use indiscriminate bombing and flachette rounds - created to kill anything in a wide area) that instead killed over 400 civilians including 70-120 children?

Hamas to a lesser extent because they aren't the ones committing war crimes. Israel is bombing fish in a barrel. Honestly I think they should be shuffled into a few small cities and have the land given to the palestinians. They will still have their land and they can live there just fine. If it's good enough for Palestinians it's good enough for them.

edit on 23-7-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join