It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramidal Structure on Asteroid 1999-RQ36?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Why is there no way anyone could of gotten these images?
They got these back in 2000..
So it can be done.

Please explain why this would be impossible.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, just want to understand why these images would be impossible to get.

But yeah, you all are most likely right,
it will turn out to be a hoax.

(or a giant garnet...lol)
edit on 2-7-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
IF this were some alien base, wouldn't it make more sense to build inside the asteroid?
Much more room, better shielding, maybe some ice for water, gold/platinum for electronics......

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Impossible because those images were taken from a probe which was within 100 miles or so of the asteroid in question, whereas we don't have a probe within millions of miles of the asteroid the YouTube video in this thread.

Plus, comparing those images to the YouTube video, the obviously faked "static" on the video screams hoax to me.

Doing some digging on NEOSSat now.

Edit: OK, so NEOSSat is in a earth orbit with an apogee of less than 500 miles.

It is not going to be taking footage like that of an asteroid that is considerably further away than the moon, and probably much further depending on where it is in it's orbit.

You would need a flyby probe to do that, not a satellite 490 miles above Earth!

Next bit of proof would be to locate Bennu's position in its orbit on June 29 2014. Working on that now...
edit on 2-7-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
OK, if I am reading NASA's Horizons ephemeris data right, then on the date this image was claimed to have been taken from a satellite in orbit 500 miles above the Earth, the asteroid was 1.75 AU away from the Earth! That is 1.75 times further than the sun, or over 160 million miles away!

See "delta" column at right:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

So they claim to be able to identify and film a pyramid on an object 500 metres in diameter, from a distance of 160 million miles?

I think this can go in the bin. Who comes up with this stuff? And do they not realise how easily it can be proved wrong?
edit on 2-7-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

The images you posted were taken from the NEAR spacecraft at a distance of 127 miles, March 3, 2000. (ref 2)

There is currently no spacecraft near that distance to capture clear images of RQ36.

However, OSIRIS-REx (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer) is scheduled for launch in the Fall of 2016. The spacecraft will reach Bennu in 2018 and return a sample to Earth in 2023. The budget for the mission is just over $800 million plus the cost of the launch vehicle. OSIRIS-REx will launch from Earth and travel for nearly two years to the asteroid Bennu. Upon arrival, OSIRIS-REx will map the total surface, creating a detailed shape model of the asteroid. OSIRIS-REx will also measure the magnitude of the Yarkovsky effect, a factor in the orbits of asteroids that may pose a threat to Earth. The craft will then approach — not land upon — Bennu, and extend a robotic arm to obtain a sample of pristine surface material (at least 60 grams or 2.1 ounces). (ref 1, 3, 4)

So, to answer your question, we don't have a reporter nearby...check back later!

REFERENCES:
1. www.asteroidmission.org...
2. content.time.com...
3. en.wikipedia.org...
4. en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7-2-2014 by jrflipjr because: Citations...but I'm not sure if I should use MLA, APA, or Turabian!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Awesome answers!

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
originally posted by: jrflipjr

pds.nasa.gov...
Asteroid (101955) Bennu was discovered in September 1999 by the LINEAR survey and designated 1999 RQ36. It is an Apollo Near-Earth Object (NEO) with a semi-major axis of 1.126 AU, an eccentricity of 0.205 and an orbital inclination of 6 degrees.

Discovered 1999 Sept. 11 by the Lincoln Laboratory Near-Earth Asteroid Research Team at Socorro.
JPL Images

That's kind of interesting. Though the image was taken Sept 1999, it was only added, 2012-05-23, yet in all NASA has an interest in the soils.
In edit, here's a video about the contact mission, in 2018.

Oh! and what Benno looks like,

Seems he does have a big snozzle after all !
edit on 2-7-2014 by smurfy because: Picture.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Why was this moved to hoax? I have not seen Any prof of that.

The before and after pictures? Perhaps it was build after or landed. WHO knows.

And if some other site posted the story it automaticly makes it fake?

I sure hope they dont post my life story

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I've done a search for the original footage but found nothing , I do believe this links back to ufosightingsdaily and scott waring which would make it a hoax.

Exactly.
Star. (Virtual star).

edit on 2-7-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

1. NEOSSat is a Canadian satellite.....not ISRO (Indian space agency).

2. ISRO does not have any probes making fly-bys of any asteroids.

3. No close up detailed photos of 101955 Bennu (aka 1999 RQ36) have ever been taken at this time.

4. The images we do have were done by ground radars here on Earth.

The video is a hoax (IE it's not real).

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Did you read my posts?

In the date that the video claims this satellite took these images of the asteroid, it was 160 million miles away.

The asteroid is 500 metres, or considerably less than half a mile, in diameter. That means the "pyramid" would have been maybe 50 metres wide, tops. So getting decent pictures of it, rather than just a pixel or two, would need a resolution of maybe 5 metres.

Do you want to do the maths on what diameter of telescope is required to have a resolution of 5 metres at a distance of 160 million miles?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Do you want to do the maths on what diameter of telescope is required to have a resolution of 5 metres at a distance of 160 million miles?

Out of interest I just did the maths and I think it turns out that you would need a telescope with a mirror approximately 30 kilometres across, or approximately 200,000 times larger than the 15cm scope on board NEOSSat

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I Suppose If An Alien Civilization Thought What Is Happening Is Gonna Destroy The Entire Universe Then Sending A Bomb Attached To An Asteroid As Cover Towards The General Vicinity And Then Activating A Surprise Attack Is Probably What Would Happen.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
And The G Does Show The Barges Are Tsunami Targets.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I Dont Think There Is Any Reason To Worry Though. There Is Lots They Aint Aware Of.
edit on 27-7-2014 by IObject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The Part Of The Video Showing The Letter M I Find Intriguing Which Makes It Rather Difficult To Believe. A Scare Tactic I Think.
edit on 27-7-2014 by IObject because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join