It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of Reverse Discrimination... Jury Awarded the Victim More Than $1 Million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This time, the victim of discrimination is a white male that was overlooked for a promotion to Chief of Police by the Mayor [former] who decided to pick a Hispanic man with a lot less qualifications

A New York police officer was awarded $1.35 million dollars this week after he successfully sued the village of Freeport, alleging he was passed over for a promotion because of his race.

A Long Island jury sided with Lt. Christopher Barrella after he claimed that then-Mayor Andrew Hardwick overlooked him to become chief of police so that he could name a Hispanic candidate to the position instead.

“I am very gratified that the jury ruled that I deserved to be chief of police. Throughout this entire process, I have tried to maintain a positive attitude and do my best for the department and the village of Freeport and will continue to do so,” Barrella said in a statement. “It has been a long and trying process, but I always had faith that if we could present our case to a jury of my peers they would see that I was discriminated against.”

Source

The difference in qualifications....the Hispanic had a high school diploma while the victim had a superior resume, even scoring first on the chief’s civil service exam, while Bermudez placed third, and had spent more years as a lieutenant, held a law degree and a master’s degree in public administration, and had undergone special training at the FBI academy

Several witnesses who over heard the former Mayor, said he referred to Bermudez as Freeport’s ‘first Hispanic police chief’ on numerous occasions and also made other racially based statements

Wow....$1.3 million....impressive
Shame it had to come down to that
No longer are people picked for their skills/qualifications it seems

edit on 30-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
White privilege indeed.

+6 more 
posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

The only shocking thing here, will be how many people are shocked that this happens.

Does this mean that every white person affirmative action has screwed can now sue?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

This should be bigger news...
For so many reasons.

Bump.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

People have not been hired based on qualifications in 50 years. Not a new thing.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Doesn't surprise me any. I have seen that sort of thing when I was working, and I know it happens in the military, too. Of course, military members can't sue, so nothing is ever done.

Glad this man got some justice! The former mayor should be disgraced, doing something like that.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Please explain to me how the village is responsible to pay 1.3 million dollars of tax money Because of the foolish discrimination of the mayor? The mayor should be on the hook for this money Not the taxpayers

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

That's what I was thinking. Why should the village pay $1.3mil.? (Plus legal fees for the mayor and new cheif)
In fact, Why would he get ANY amount of money. How about an apology and the job he deserves?
There is no way in hell that his hurt feelings are worth that much money.
If anything, the hispanic guy deserves some compensation...
"you got the job Bermudez... PSYCHE!!! Hardwick gets the job... and $1.3mil. Better luck next time Bermudez"

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
There's no such thing as reverse discrimination or racism. There's discrimination and racism and it doesn't matter the color of the skin or gender or sexual preference or religion/non-religion or social standing of either the discriminator/racist nor the target.

It seems the mayor decided to play politics and wanted to tout hiring the first Hispanic police chief in the towns history. Yes, unfair to the white, more qualified guy. But there is a twist to this many won't see... discrimination cases are extremely hard to prove and overwhelming filed by minorities and tend to not go so well for the plaintiff, especially with that kind of pay out.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Able? How can you say white privilege??? Take out the race and what do you have left??? Better Skills and Training!!!

I am going to assume that your white and for the sake of the argument you are 6'5" and have a high rebound and scoring record with great assist and teamwork. And you are going up against a black man who is 6'7" and harbors half the skills you have trained yourself in. Now a multimillionaire dollar contract will go to either of you and it goes the the black gentlemen because he is black.

How would you feel? All your hard work and effort overlooked because you are white.
Just take race outta this, you are portraying a bigot.

and shame on anyone who gave you stars
edit on 30-5-2014 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Doesn't surprise me any. I have seen that sort of thing when I was working, and I know it happens in the military, too. Of course, military members can't sue, so nothing is ever done.

Glad this man got some justice! The former mayor should be disgraced, doing something like that.

Me too, not just in military but with contractors. The discrimination I see mainly is the higher ups hiring friends and family over qualified veterans (of any sex or race).

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I have a feeling lawsuits like this are going to be more common in the near future when higher qualifications can be proved like this. I have been saying since the 90s that qualifications should be the determining factor when hiring. Hiring the second place feel good candidate only gets you substandard quality of work.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
a reply to: abe froman

Able? How can you say white privilege??? Take out the race and what do you have left??? Better Skills and Training!!!

I am going to assume that your white and for the sake of the argument you are 6'5" and have a high rebound and scoring record with great assist and teamwork. And you are going up against a black man who is 6'7" and harbors half the skills you have trained yourself in. Now a multimillionaire dollar contract will go to either of you and it goes the the black gentlemen because he is black.

How would you feel? All your hard work and effort overlooked because you are white.
Just take race outta this, you are portraying a bigot.

and shame on anyone who gave you stars

I am quite sure that his statement was pure sarcasm....
Of course "white privilege" is a term only thrown about by race baiters...

When will we stop with the colors...

I am so tired. Exhausted...
Isn't everyone?
edit on 30-5-2014 by defuntion because: Sp

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: defuntion

It may have been, hard to tell just by reading his response with no "lol" or "jk" or even a

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

I agree, I predict an avalanche of such cases. I have always felt that lowering the standards in the name of political correctness, or pandering was just wrong. I see a growing erosion of trust in the system, and it's about time we start holding those in positions of power to a much higher standard. When it comes to the care and keeping of the tax payers, only the best and the brightest need apply.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. To call it reverse implies that there is a proper way to discriminate. All discrimination is wrong and to say "reverse" discrimination is improper in itself.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The only thing that matters:

Do you have the education, skills, experience, etc., to meet the requirements of the job.

If you do then you are eligible for consideration.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Doesn't really matter . Andrews university clearly states in their job postings you have to be a member of their church in good standing to even apply for a job. Never heard of anyone suing them

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. It is discrimination, period.

What happens when whites are the mathematical minority? Will they still have "white privilege"? Will there still be affirmative action?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
in my experience, reverse discrimination refers to situations where an action is not deemed racist (when it objectively is) because the person engaging in the action is not white or the action benefits non-whites.

examples include dropping the n bomb and affirmative action.

<<   2 >>

join